• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jeep owners?

darent

I worked for a guy who tried to plow his driveway with his jeep, snow was real heavy, about 10" deep and he burned his clutch up

mriceyman

I worked for a guy who tried to plow his driveway with his jeep, snow was real heavy, about 10" deep and he burned his clutch up

Thats hows trannys go on pick ups also.. Plowing too much heavy shit at a time

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gmcunni

gonna need new rubber sooner than i thought. went out in the snow tonight and had no traction at all

LOL @ me.. 2 years later and still on the same tires... working from home i never drive. probably only put 10K miles on it since posting note above... wife's Acadia and now Subi getting most of the bad weather miles... tho now i have to cough up the $$.. weather coming in soon (hopefully), wife needs to be mobile this weekend and i want to drive north.

gmcunni

thinking of an upgrade.

really love my 2005 Jeep TJ but feeling like a move to a newer 4 door makes more sense, including switch to automatic tranny.

the TJ is so much fun to drive but with family and stuff it just isn't useful. heck can't even carry skis and 3 people (rack is so old that it doesn' t hold new wider skis)

thinking a lot about a new 4 door ....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was kind of surprised you went with the two door when you got yours given your family size. I know the Jeep purests scoff at the four door, but there's something to be said for having more than 2 cubic feet of storage.

I liked the original 2 door Unlimited a lot. Think they only made it for a couple of years around 2006. Not quite as big as the 4 door, but at least it had a bit of storage.

gmcunni

i am very very fond of this jeep. i really like the 2 door, other than long highway drives it is a always a fun ride. that fondness is kind of its undoing . i like it so much i want to use it all the time and i can't because of family/storage. i knew that would be the case when i got it and was happy with it being "my" car and we take wife's for family stuff.. but now i want it for family stuff too.

add to it my daughter's love for the car but inability to grasp driving a manual trans and i think a new (at least to me) one is in the future.

i paid 12.5 for it 4 years ago. looking at pricing of used cars i might be able to get most of that back. sadly the market for newer models is pretty expensive.

11913877_10206046904064658_7511134479439133416_n.jpg

Tin

FJ is the only way to go!!!!!
attachment.php

ohhh-myyyy.gif

I'm really shocked you have not had issues with it yet. My mother's automatic (she is a good driver) is on tranny number 3 at 115k, first went before 50, next in mid 80s. My neighbor is also on another transmission and only at 70k. I think what I don't like it the flat windshield and three wipers lol.

My stepmother has a newer Jeep (2013?) with the ZF 9 speed transmission. Pretty amazing doing 80mph on the highway and spinning under 2000 RPMs. Great for fuel economy.

gmcunni

My stepmother has a newer Jeep (2013?) with the ZF 9 speed transmission. Pretty amazing doing 80mph on the highway and spinning under 2000 RPMs. Great for fuel economy.

you usually don't see "jeep" and "good fuel economy" used in the same sentence unless there is a negative word involved.

my wrangler gets on average 15 MPG

HD333

I LOVE my JKU. I don't drive much as I work at home but I have taken it on road trips and it is fine, the longer wheel base makes it a little smoother. These things do hold their value, looking at book values I could sell mine for just about what I paid for it 3 years ago.
Gotta love the top off/doors off feeling of a jeep.
gmcunni your jeep looks to be in great shape, teach the daughter how to drive MT and get yourself a JKU.
Here is mine all buttoned up, top and doors will be off this weekend. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440596857.592579.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buellski

thinking a lot about a new 4 door ....

I love my 2011. It's great off-road, can carry 4 people and skis without a rack (back seat is a little crowded), and gets better gas mileage than your two door. Mine has a 2.5" lift with 32" tires and still can get 17mpg if I baby it. I do have the MT though. Not sure what you would get with an AT.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• woods-2.jpg
    woods-2.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Lifted3.jpg
    Lifted3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 129

Puck it

ohhh-myyyy.gif

I'm really shocked you have not had issues with it yet. My mother's automatic (she is a good driver) is on tranny number 3 at 115k, first went before 50, next in mid 80s. My neighbor is also on another transmission and only at 70k. I think what I don't like it the flat windshield and three wipers lol.

Two FJ and no tranny problems.

gmcunni

FJ is the only way to go!!!!!

i work for a fairly large company. i was checking the employee purchase programs too see if i was eligible for any special programs for car buying. i noticed a separate section on the web page for HQ employees (HQ is in Bay Area, Cali). there was a special promotion for a local Toyota dealer. i thought of your post so i figured i'd see how great a deal i could get on an FJ.

funny thing - of the 100 or so cars on their web site as "in stock" at their lot - NOT ONE FJ cruiser. Like 90 prius and a few others... guess the cali people really don't like gas guzzlers!!

gmcunni

test drove the JKU, seems nice. a more refined ride than my 2005 TJ. put my car on craigslist, see if i can sell it and then we'll go for a new one.

deadheadskier

Staff member
These things do hold their value, looking at book values I could sell mine for just about what I paid for it 3 years ago.

This always surprises me. A Wrangler has to be near the top of the list of vehicles that get driven hard / abused.

You would think the opposite would be true regarding resale value.

gmcunni

This always surprises me. A Wrangler has to be near the top of the list of vehicles that get driven hard / abused.

You would think the opposite would be true regarding resale value.

some people just pretty them up for show and don't drive them hard.
for example - http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5193782893.html

i was checking some sources to figure out what to price my jeep at. there are several i'd call similar to mine. range is $8 - $15k.

Hawkshot99

i work for a fairly large company. i was checking the employee purchase programs too see if i was eligible for any special programs for car buying. i noticed a separate section on the web page for HQ employees (HQ is in Bay Area, Cali). there was a special promotion for a local Toyota dealer. i thought of your post so i figured i'd see how great a deal i could get on an FJ.

funny thing - of the 100 or so cars on their web site as "in stock" at their lot - NOT ONE FJ cruiser. Like 90 prius and a few others... guess the cali people really don't like gas guzzlers!!

It was discontinued. That's why none on the lot.