• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking Footwear

vdk03

I have always been a firm believer in a hiking boot that has good ankle support and is completey waterproof. I have been shopping around for a new pair and find that more and more people are going with lowcut hiking shoes that are vented instead of being waterproof. What do you guys/gals wear when you go hiking?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Depends. Most times I wear my Asolo 520's for "hiking:"

2917.jpg

bigbog

Vasque Wasatch GTX (Wide)....
Kind of a middle-of-the-road boot...nubuck (pseudo)leather, poly midsoles. They work well with my rigid forefoot...and I log as much time in brooks, muck and on treetrunks, dry and wet as much as on a serious ascents/descents over ~400'. Thus they're comfortable and support my narrow ankle area and high volume over the instep really well....

$.01

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I picked up a pair or Merrell trail hiking shoes. They are pretty lightweight, and I can wear them to work. Great ventilation. Ok for impromptu hikes after work, but I feel every acorn and I often find I'd like some better ankle support.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I picked up a pair or Merrell trail hiking shoes. They are pretty lightweight, and I can wear them to work. Great ventilation. Ok for impromptu hikes after work, but I feel every acorn and I often find I'd like some better ankle support.

Merrells are definitely super comfortable but they are not very durable. I've had a few pair over the years and they tend to wear out very quickly. IMHO they are best suited to the very casual hiker.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
^ I have a pair of asolo's to that i've been really happy with as well.. but i'm definitely looking into a lighter trail shoe/boot whatever you want to call it with good support but not so heavy.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
^ I have a pair of asolo's to that i've been really happy with as well.. but i'm definitely looking into a lighter trail shoe/boot whatever you want to call it with good support but not so heavy.

I bought a pair of merrell Trail Gloves for a lighter pair and they are good so far. They also seem like they will be great for kayaking.

Grassi21

I haven't logged a ton of miles with my Obozs. But I have been happy with them so far...

2wJKuIy-aQlFSp-9btwVC12MW5OL4LQVM-aybw0p5p4bv11CckXxb02M2KP0o7FIWRDov9_9EfkRM1HO67nMpdvIUFiBqBqBEsnHxv1yiw1efR_QEta1uezXRH4lUJOMl-IR3knx5jkYSMc3zD5PINNmfqzp_4Af6Sfu

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

those look pretty sweet.... I train for my running in light sneakers (adidas zeros) but those are almost to light for me.. i scuff the top of my foot a lot and take lots of diggers haha, those five finger shoes would never work for me but i like the looks of those and I really like Merrell as a brand.

bigbog

o3jeff,
Seems like in the real outdoors they'll lose a little stability once you step/land on something not exactly dead center...y/n? Look like a paddling/boating/kayaking shoe.....

vdk03

I had a pair of asolos a few years back that I loved. I put quite a few miles on them, even took them to the shoe repair shop when they finally blew out and got another year or so out of em. They seem awfully pricey today, and I dont really like the looks of how eyes (where the lace gets strung) are hinged, kinda looks like it could be a chink in the chain. I do like the way the merrells fit and they're not quite as pricey. I dont picture myself buying anything but a waterproof boot for hiking. Thanks for the input.

gladerider

i have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX and am very happy with them. i don't do ice climbing so these work for me fine. awesome support.