• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The fishing thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
always been catch and release for the most part myself. Bet I've kept 10 total in my life and that was more at the urging of the company I was fishing with. I just assume throw em' back and catch em' again another day when they're bigger.

Cannonball

I do keep a few every year. Generally speaking though, the last thing I want to have to do after a day of fishing is clean fish.

That's funny. Different strokes I guess. For me, it isn't a day of fishing if you don't get the chance to go from this....

DSC01652.JPG

to this....

DSC01556.JPG

JimG.

Staff member
Halibut. From AK.

Nice.

Would love to take a trip there one day. Being a freshwater guy I'd of course spend all of my time flyfishing for big salmon. My brother-in-law went there and came home with pics of 50+ pound King salmon he caught on flys.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Legendary bartender friend of mine in Stowe, VT, "Chief" used to go out to fish for Kings every summer. One summer he said screw it and didn't come back.

Cannonball

Nice.

Would love to take a trip there one day. Being a freshwater guy I'd of course spend all of my time flyfishing for big salmon. My brother-in-law went there and came home with pics of 50+ pound King salmon he caught on flys.

Very cool. I've been up there for a few vacations (heli-ski). But mostly I've spent a lot of time working up there. Those pics are from a research cruise I was on in Prince William Sound. With nearly 24-hour daylight, we had tons of free time to fish. Mostly we were stuck on the ship in deep water so we fished for halibut and rock fish. But we did manage to hike in for some pinks and reds too (no Kings unfortunately). I think a brought home 80-100lbs of fish every time I went up.

To me, this 'Kings and Corn' trip is about as good as it gets...http://www.chugachpowderguides.com/kingsandcorn.html

Cannonball

Oh yeah! Throw in some whitewater rafting and I might never come back home.

See ya!

KINGS & CORN ADVENTURE TRIP
Come experience five days of non-stop action and adventure in the heart of the Alaskan wilderness with Chugach Powder Guides. Our Kings and Corn summer action-adventure trip features King Salmon fishing, corn-snow heli-skiing, and whitewater rafting. Lodging, as well as authentic, gourmet Alaskan meals by our gourmet chef are provided by Tordrillo Mountain Lodge located in the heart of the Alaska Range. All our activities are heli-supported, enabling access to the best the Alaskan bush has to offer. Chugach Powder Guides requires guests to arrive in Anchorage the night prior to trip start date. You will be greeted at Anchorage International and chauffeured in Anchorage for any gear and last-minute needs. That evening's accommodations and activities are on your own. The next morning starts early. We will transport you to Lake Hood for the floatplane ride to Tordrillo Mountain Lodge where the adventure begins.

JimG.

Staff member
See ya!

KINGS & CORN ADVENTURE TRIP
Come experience five days of non-stop action and adventure in the heart of the Alaskan wilderness with Chugach Powder Guides. Our Kings and Corn summer action-adventure trip features King Salmon fishing, corn-snow heli-skiing, and whitewater rafting. Lodging, as well as authentic, gourmet Alaskan meals by our gourmet chef are provided by Tordrillo Mountain Lodge located in the heart of the Alaska Range. All our activities are heli-supported, enabling access to the best the Alaskan bush has to offer. Chugach Powder Guides requires guests to arrive in Anchorage the night prior to trip start date. You will be greeted at Anchorage International and chauffeured in Anchorage for any gear and last-minute needs. That evening's accommodations and activities are on your own. The next morning starts early. We will transport you to Lake Hood for the floatplane ride to Tordrillo Mountain Lodge where the adventure begins.

Oh boy, now I'm in big trouble!

This is a dream trip. 5 days doesn't seem like enough time.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Oh the only other fishing story I have (well, haha, it's not even mine)... a guy I worked with at my last job used to go on an annual fishing trip near Martha's Vineyard with his old college roomates. About five years ago they went and caught a Mako Shark. I think it was 850 pounds or something out of control like that. Took them like 5 hours to get it.

Here is a story, and here is a picture

LL

All I know is I love eating me some fish!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's funny. Different strokes I guess. For me, it isn't a day of fishing if you don't get the chance to go from this....

I can't imagine going through all the hassle of fishing just to let it go. Delicious fish for dinner is what I would want after all that. :beer:

vdk03

Just got back from northern vt this afternoon, some family and friends and I fish the LCI (Lake Champlain International) every year. Its a great tournament, about 6000 people fish it each year with hundreds of thousands of dollars and three boats up for grabs. We usually go up there and target the pike and bass. I caught this 4lb 13oz largemouth this am, about a half a pound to small to make the top ten.

0620111013.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Just got back from northern vt this afternoon, some family and friends and I fish the LCI (Lake Champlain International) every year. Its a great tournament, about 6000 people fish it each year with hundreds of thousands of dollars and three boats up for grabs. We usually go up there and target the pike and bass. I caught this 4lb 13oz largemouth this am, about a half a pound to small to make the top ten.

0620111013.jpg

Another nice largemouth...now I'm getting antsy to go out in my boat!

Couldn't get out for opening weekend last week, nor will I get out this weekend...busy with college showcase soccer tournaments with my 2 oldest boys.

But the first weekend of July is already filled with fishing trips to my home reservoir, the East Branch reservoir in NY, and to Candlewood lake in CT.

Thanks for the fishing stoke!

JimG.

Staff member
I can't imagine going through all the hassle of fishing just to let it go. Delicious fish for dinner is what I would want after all that. :beer:

Hassle? You're a skier, right?

Fishing is no trouble at all compared to dragging ski equipment around. I like to keep it simple; I wade in streams alot which is very self-contained, and I stick with rowboats when I go out on a lake/reservoir. I guess you can make it more complicated, but I love fishing because of the simplicity.

I do keep a few each year because fresh caught fish is delicious; I guess the catch and release thing is mostly a personal preference. I'm superstitious too...I believe that putting them back brings good fishing karma. I've been known to pour a freshly opened beer in the water as a sacrifice to the fishing gods too.

Cannonball

Again, to each his own.

Hassle? You're a skier, right?

Fishing is no trouble at all compared to dragging ski equipment around.

You're right, fishing certainly isn't a hassle....but neither is cleaning them.

I guess the catch and release thing is mostly a personal preference. I'm superstitious too...I believe that putting them back brings good fishing karma.

I believe that catch and release brings bad karma.

JimG.

Staff member
Again, to each his own.

Indeed. I think that's what I love about fishing.

My buddy Eric (who passed years ago, RIP), would come with me to upstate streams on fishing trips. We would get to the first good looking pool and that's where Eric would stay for the whole day. Literally. I like to walk a few miles downstream and then work my way back upstream fishing. I could never understand why Eric would do that, but then again it was not uncommon for me to get back to Eric with stories of the nice fish I caught only to find him with the one big fish I wished I had caught.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I guess what I meant to say is the entire point of fishing is to catch the fish, right?

You wouldn't go hunting and just shoot animals and let them walk it off, right :lol:

Then again I guess that isn't really feasible :roll: you can tell I know absolutely zilch about fishing. I have always wanted to try scuba diving and get my own lobsters though....

Cannonball

have always wanted to try scuba diving and get my own lobsters though....

Great fun. Recreational permit in MA is only $40. You can easily make that back in just a few trips. I've switched over to mostly freediving for lobster instead of SCUBA. A lot quicker and easier. Actually, that's not entirely true....I've mostly switched over to having a few traps. that's a LOT easier. But it is fun to snorkel or scuba and get all hands-on with it.