• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The fishing thread

Mpdsnowman

I have a camp on lake ontario. Was a charter captain for 15 years.

Were still fishing for browns. It started out awesome but has slowed down abit.
227969_1374128451162_6010796_n.jpg

Now were re rigging for these bad boys.
246971_1394496280345_2184131_n.jpg

King salmon.

these photos were from last season. We put together videos and photos during the season. Should have some good ones to post in here. once they start hittin lol

Here is a recent vid we did in April. I think some of you may have seen this in another thread. Sorry for the duplicate but thats all we got right now lol

bigbog

Big water...BIG fish! Nice stuff Mpd.
Haven't encountered any big hatches up here, while with flyrod...powhunter, GreenDrakes and Hex have yet to start hatching, but have seen many mayflies and caddis flying around..~100yds back from the shoreline of a few bogs that I haven't gotten to yet.
Haven't caught many..have been out with the flyrod ~6times so far..and have caught about a dozen brookies running 6" to a couple nice ones 14" and 17" a week ago. Mostly on caddis emergers and pheasant tail emergers. Rain clouds have been plowing down from the maritimes, but othw has been sunny..making for the chance of good hatches to go off. Think I'd like to go tomorrow afternoon into the evening...or Sat.

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

Going up to a friends lake house for the next 2 days for a party. Gonna go up a bit early and see if I can catch a few bass off the docks.

steamboat1

Not sure wy I never thought about looking for a fishing thread here before lol. I have fished on and off for most of my life. I started in freshwater as a young kid learning everytihng myself as there were no fishermen in my family then transitioned to saltwater as a teenager and then stopped for several years until I got a house on Lake Zoar in CT which is a dammed section of the Housatonic. The place was filthy with LSB and SMB. My biggest LMB was 8 pounds but I "cheated" lol. I had a friend of a friend out and we got skunked and he kept complaining that there were no fish and that I didn't know what I was doing etc really pissing me off so we got back to the dock I ug up a worm and promptly had a bluegill on the hook as I'm telling him see there are fish lol. Next thing I know a huge bass darts out from under my dock and slams the bluegill. After a couple of minutes I had my first true hawg. that shut him up for good. I did catch a 6 pound SMB on a perch pattern shad rap in that lake.

Since then I've been back in the salt for a decade or so. I own a boat with a buddy on the east end of LI and we do a good amount of bass weakfish blackfish and fluke fishing with the kids. I also do some trips up north for cod and some canyon tuna trips. I attached a few pics from my work computer.

1) Biggest weakfish at 15.2 pounds.
2) 9 pound blackfish
3) 2 ncie cod caught out of Glouchester
4) decent yellowfin in Hudson canyon

jrmagic you are far to modest. You should have also mentioned that you are a member of the Marine Recreational Advisory Council (MRAC) in New York. The council represents both recreational & commercial fishing interests in NY & makes recommendations to the NYSDEC which sets salt water fishing regulations in NY. Jrmagic is very knowledgeable about all types of salt water fishing. He is also a moderator of a very popular fishing website.

Me I come from a family that has been in the party fishing boat business since 1949. This is what I did for a living growing up. The family is still in the business & I still maintain my captains license but haven't been heavily involved in the business for 30 years.

Last edited:

ctenidae

Ton of bunker feeding in the Sound this afternoon.
Guess what I didn't have with me in the boat...

jrmagic

Ton of bunker feeding in the Sound this afternoon.
Guess what I didn't have with me in the boat...

If they were just milling around in a big circle, chances are they weren't being harrassed by any predators so no biggie to not have the snag or a cast net handy unless you wanted to catch some bait to go find another pod that was being harrassed. Its been years since we have had this much bunker in the sound. I'm hoping that as a result they hang out all summer and don't make an early exit.

bigbog

I can't imagine going through all the hassle of fishing just to let it go. Delicious fish for dinner is what I would want after all that. :beer:

Fresh fish is nice. So is spending time out on the water...but I don't feel I have to fish every time I'm out on the water. The seafood joints are great....I seem to only eat saltwater fish these days. Have always loved the coastal areas.... The flyfishing part was just a spinoff of spending time in the woodlands up in Maine, with an accessible camp and boating/canoeing in the early 60s.

Last edited:

jrmagic

Fishing & boating in particular is about a lot more than dinner.

Agreed though I do enjoy catching my dinner too. I would say across the whole season I probably keep about 25% of the fish I can legally keep. Nothin better to me than the smell of the ocean and fishing predawn and watchnig the sun rise out of the water. The same goes for fishing the afternoon into night.

Mpdsnowman

Summer kings

Ok were gettin into em now. The lake is turning, happens this time every year so now its temp temp temp...find that 50 degree temp and put em down. This was two days ago. I didnt get the ball down for more than 25 seconds before she hit. First fish is a brown, second a king. I should be able to find the mature kings real soon.

These little guys were a good start.