• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface & Passaconaway 6/18

Angus

Outside of my hiking up Mt. Washington and Cannon to ski this spring, my prior two hikes have been Welch-Dickey in late November and Sandwich Notch over Columbus Day week. Keeping with exploring the Sandwich Range of the WMNF, I hiked Whiteface & Passaconaway - both 4,000 footers. My route was Blueberry Ledge Trail, Rollins Trail, a loop trail up to Passaconaway and then down Dicey's Mill Trail.

Drove over via 113A from Sandwich and will say this is a very pretty part of NH. Blueberry Ledge was an easy hike up until I reached a series of ledges which provided some very nice views of Squam Lake and Winnipesaukee. The ledges were tough tossing my 4-legged companion up and over and I was sucking wind pretty good. The top of Whiteface has minimal views although I was able to glimpse a peak of the top of Waterville Valley Ski area. A long ridge line (Rollins Trail) of easy hiking follows which looks down into a bowl. The steepness into the bowl is pretty amazing and one gets views occasionally.

The hike up Passaconaway from the intersection of Rollins and Dicey's Mill trail was pretty easy - a few steep sections and I took a loop trail back down. The Passaconaway has no views however there are a couple of ledges that look out in a NW, North and East direction. Hike down was uneventful although over the last mile had rain and thunder chasing me. I got back into my car just as the heavier rain started.

There was a parking lot full of cars but I met up with only a few people and all commented on how isolated this section of the National Forest seemed - in a nice way! I made a note to maybe hike the Tripyramids via the Kate Sleeper trail which can be accessed near the top of Whiteface. The Kate Sleeper trail goes over a couple of near 4'Kers. Of course, this would require some serious transportation logistics.

I've now hiked two trails in the WMNF that I would not recommend for dogs - Caps Ridge (Mt. Jefferson) and Blueberry - I would not have gotten up Blueberry without the help of some other hikers - thank you. The hike measures 11-12 miles - it took me almost exactly 6 hours. I suspect the dog on the ledges and other places where assistance was required added an hour.

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable, relaxing day and highly recommended. I plan to do more exploration of the Sandwich Range throughout the summer and fall.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice! I did that route four years ago and I concur that the ledges are not good for dogs or even kids. I did it with a friend and was glad that I did.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Are dogs prone to falling off cliffs? That kind of freaks me out I always assumed they had some kind of instinct to avoid edges.

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

Angus

I get real nervous when my children get too close to an edge where a slip would cause injury/death. Going up King's Peak in Utah (state highpoint) with my 13 year old with only a few feet separating him and a several thousand foot drop was nerve wracking. Even last year going across Knife's Edge at age 14 got me nervous a few times. I get nervous too when I have him at Tucks b/c the kids aren't as cognizant of getting a good foothold.

Dogs seem to have a pretty good sense of where they shouldn't venture. Saturday, my dog didn't want to go up the ledge b/c it was too steep so I had to pickup/push, etc. But they can be stupid/unpredictable, too. A few years back, the same dog didn't want to climb down off the Tuck's headwall (10-20' of snow) in late June so instead climbed up (a couple of hundred feet) and was at the edge of a big crevasse when finally captured.