• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another thing that's appears to have gone away: bar-ends

bvibert

Staff member
No, they're kinda faux pas now. Some people still use them. I guess that the advent of riser bars made them kind of necessary. I had some for a while, but they made me nervous in tight trees, and I never really used them anyway, so off they came.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
In all my years of mountain biking I think I only hooked one bar end. I literally used them all the time - although at the time when I was riding a lot was pre-drivers license, so it was also really useful for those hill climbs on the road.

It also appears that since the early part of the century riding posture has changed (used to mimic road posture - seat taller than handlebars, for purposes of aerodynamics; not as critical on a Mt. bike!) and also handlebars have gotten a lot wider I notice.

Oh and (thank god) the MT bike community never embraced the latex outfits :lol: