• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommended 2 nite trip in NH/ME?

cepaulsen

Folks-
Looking at getting away for 2 nites this wknd. Any recommendations on a good trip? Ideally about 2-3 hours from Portsmouth (3-4 from Boston), loop would be great, views are always nice, away from the crowds (if this is possible on a holiday wknd!). Shortish (2-4 miles) hike in from parking area as I will be driving up Friday afternoon. I am good shape so some mountians would be nice and some decent distance on Saturday... and any pointers to maps/books/websites would be helpful...

thanks for your help,
Christian Paulsen

cepaulsen

thanks... duh... should have read more recent post, ie the most recent one!

but... do you have any favs in the whites?

btw, nice pics on your site... just got back from arches and the wasatch

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
It's really hard to recommend anything - there are SO many possibilities. Plus, just to be clear, you're spending two nights but you're just day hiking?

It really depends where you're staying. A shortish late afternoon hike (possibly into sunset if you have headlamp and experience night hiking) would be something like the Sugarloaf peaks at the foot of Zealand Road off Rte 302. Easy but prominent and bare rock, a great place for a sunset.

As for your next day, again it depends where you're staying. If you're up near Zealand, hit Mt. Garfield. If you're off near Conway and Rte 16, head up Mt. Chocura. Can you give us any more details on your plans to try to pin something down?

*The* guidebook is the AMC's White Mountain Guide (hope that link works). If you're not familiar, stop in Friday at Pinkham Notch Visitors Center on Rte 16 just below Mt. Washington and grab a book & map set, as well as talk to the staff there for suggestions.

cepaulsen

Yeah I am backpacking... looking like the Whites might be the best, although the crowds might be an issue.. a friend mentioned Rocky Branch-Davis Path-Isolation Mt, but I cant quite figure out total distances and the feasabiltiy of finding a tent site the first nite after hitting the trail probably around 3 ish on Friday, and if that trail setup would have enough for me to stay a second nite with a hike out on Sunday... any thoughts... not really nailed down to anyone area, just not too far from Portsmouth..

man, its been over 10 years since have done any backpacking and am really looking forward to getting back on the trail (at a much slower pace then my weekly/daily mountain biking!).. I dont know how I used to plan and organize 5-8 day trips... well I suppose I do- start planning weeks ahead instead of days ahead!... any-who, thanks for your input and help...

I will pick up the book, thanks for the rec...

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I think the Whites will be very crowded compared to northwest Maine or even the Greens. Here is a recent trail report from the Greens, it's about 2.5 hrs from Boston and Portsmouth.
http://forums.alpinezone.com/9687-s...ln-cutts-abraham-stark-etc-vt-round-trip.html

Check out the Evans Notch area of nw Maine. Since your backpacking I don't think crowds will be a big problem if you stay away from popular day hike trails, even in the Whites. If you go to the Whites the hardest thing you will have to deal with is finding a parking place in the ttrailhead parking lots. In addition, if your backpacking alone, going on a trail that has some traffic might be a good idea.

It looks like it might be a somewhat wet weekend so this might keep the crowds down.

Mike P.

Looks like it may be wet. If counting on shelters you will want to get to them early. Not much for shelters if any in Evan's notch area, I agree for a holiday weekend that area, the Sandwich Wilderness or the Dry River area near your Isolation trip might be good areas. Any trip near 4,000 peaks likely will generate more traffic on the trails then areas away from these peaks.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
If it's wet it's going to be the latter part of the weekend. I think.

In any case, Isolation. If you go in Rocky Branch from Rte 16, after you pass over the hill (which is not Engine Hill, but the hill next to it, just to be pedantic) and drop down to the river, just before the river on the left are designated tentsites, and just across the river is the old shelter which is still habitable (and an open field where you could set up a tent).

There are also designated tentsites further up the trail and up at the Davis Path. This was just discussed here - search the forums for Isolation and I'm sure you'll find the description and location of these sites.

If you want to make it a full 3-day, go south from Isolation over Mt Davis and eventually pick back up the Rocky Branch Trail to come up to Rte 16.

HOWEVER ... the Rocky Branch is indeed a river, and if the rain comes in, the crossings could get dangerous. This will be true for almost any area in the Whites. If the forecast looks bad, you might want to stay away from the river valleys. Of course, you don't want to be on exposed ridges, either. Hmm...

Ascend the Snow

Check out the Evans Notch area of nw Maine. Since your backpacking I don't think crowds will be a big problem if you stay away from popular day hike trails, even in the Whites. If you go to the Whites the hardest thing you will have to deal with is finding a parking place in the ttrailhead parking lots. In addition, if your backpacking alone, going on a trail that has some traffic might be a good idea.

It looks like it might be a somewhat wet weekend so this might keep the crowds down.

Evan's Notch is a TON of fun, great place to spend a day + great place to swim in some nice cool water. It's usually only the locals who show up there and is usually only moderately populated.