• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The pizza thread

bvibert

Staff member
Pizza is one of my favorite foods, so why not start a thread about it?

Are you a pizza snob who refuses to eat pizza unless it's a certain crust type?

Personally I don't discriminate, I'll eat just about any pizza. Thick, thin, pan, whatever.

My favorite topping used to be pepperoni (how boring), now my stand by is Hawaiian (ham and pineapple, preferably with bacon too). I've been digging pies made with sauces other than the typical tomato sauce lately too, like white, bbq, buffalo, etc sauces.

What's your perfect pizza?

Grassi21

lol. Seems like the lunch thread got you thinking...

I don't discriminate either. When I was living at home and my Mom asked what I wanted for my birthday dinners it would always be pizza. Lately I have been into the greek pizza place in town that does them wood fired. I get my dough there as well when I make pizza at home. I love doing pizza at home with all kinds of toppings and styles. Did one with truffle oil and sauteed mushrooms recently. I want pizza right now... despite have some for dinner last night with anchioves.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
went to the opening party for this place on Monday Night

http://www.sendbread.com/pizza.php

will update when they have their menu posted, but it's incredible. Best pizza on the Maine / NH seacoast by far.

Love this place in Boston area

http://www.pizzeriaposto.com/menus_105_1757755152.pdf

I am kind of a Pizza snob. 95% of pizza shops suck and I actually find worse than Dijourno

Best pie in ski country I think is this place:

http://www.piecasso.com/

I tend to just make my own pizza at home because all the pizza around here sucks. You can buy a dough at any of the local shops for like a $1. Just wish my home oven got hotter than 550.

bvibert

Staff member
lol. Seems like the lunch thread got you thinking...

Indeed. It's something I've thought about before, but didn't think of making a thread about it until Gary's post.

I don't discriminate either. When I was living at home and my Mom asked what I wanted for my birthday dinners it would always be pizza. Lately I have been into the greek pizza place in town that does them wood fired. I get my dough there as well when I make pizza at home. I love doing pizza at home with all kinds of toppings and styles. Did one with truffle oil and sauteed mushrooms recently. I want pizza right now... despite have some for dinner last night with anchioves.....

Probably the best pizza joint in our town is Greek. Actually, it wasn't until I was telling someone about that place that I even knew of the level of pizza snobbery that some people have. I mentioned that they're pizza was great, and that it was Greek, they quickly poo poo'd it. Damn pizza snobs (coughgregcough)... Up until that point in my life (a few years ago) it was inconceivable to me that someone wouldn't even consider trying a pizza place because they were Greek.

catskillman

Love making pizza on the BBQ - just through the dough on the grill, stretched out and basted with olive oil. Flip & dress. Excellant.

There is not a halfway decent pizza in the Hunter. Best is the place in Haines Falls on the way to North/South Lake. Off the beaten path & odd hours. Very interesting older guy running the place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't discriminate a pizza shop because they were Greek. However, if the name of the their pizzaria contains the words "Village" or "House of", I will. :lol:

gmcunni

Indeed. It's something I've thought about before, but didn't think of making a thread about it until Gary's post.

glad i could inspire you ;-)

contrary to what might have been conveyed in the lunch thread i'm not a pizza snob. any pizza is good pizza, some are gooder than others.

given my druthers i like a slightly thick crust. i used to live near a place that for $1 you could order thick crust which they simply doubled layered the dough.

that said, one of my favorites is from Colony Pizza. Originally from Stamford CT (and pretty famous in that area) it is a very thin crust. They sold the rights to a group who opened a place in Fairfield but uses the same equipment and recipe. i had a sausage and hot oil pie today.

bvibert

Staff member
I wouldn't discriminate a pizza shop because they were Greek. However, if the name of the their pizzaria contains the words "Village" or "House of", I will. :lol:

:lol:

The place in town is called Pizza Palace. They make a pretty good grinder too.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Mmmm pizza!

I like all kinds of pizza.

In the summer we like to make grilled pizza - take the dough brush with olive oil, grill it up a few minutes on each side. Then bake in the oven with your favorite toppings.

In Germany I became a huge fan of Thunfischpizza - Tuna Pizza - awesome. Not so great around here though.

I also love thin crust (bertucci's) and thick crust (uno's). I can't decide. It's all good!

Warp Daddy

M"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Pizza ! Want Pizza NOW !! Pizza Monster needs PEEEEEETZAAA

I'l eat ANY kinda of pizza one of my favs is a white garlic pizza w/ clams-- but man i''ll SNARF any pizza . "cept that stuff DHS told us about yesterday where the Japanese made steak outta shit . Sure hope nobody make a Shitty Pizza :D:D

ctenidae

Greek joints I think are hit or miss on pizza- some are good, some not so much. Lebanese joints, I find, have consistently bad pizza, similar to teh way bad Greeks make theirs- dense dough, caused by using less yeast to get it thin rather than working the dough right. It just comes out kind of bready, I think (yeah, I know, it's bread), like a half-assed Boboli. I'd rather have Domino's style crust than that.

I like a thin crust, with just a hint of chew and a little crispiness. New York style (good, old school, 50-year-old joints in Brooklyn kind) is by favorite benchmark style, though a good Chicago deep dish, with good sauce and cheese, rocks when done right. Don't like cracker crusts, don't like sausage, don't like weird stuff like chicken or BBQ sauce. Love Hawaiian, pepperoni-onion-mushroom-olive, straight up old school pepperoni with the grease dripping off the front, and a good veggie pizza without too much brocolli and just the right amount of artichoke. Judiciously applied anchivies on a good pizza can be a wonder to behold.

I do like California Pizza Kitchen at times, Bertucci's, I hate to say, has some good pizza.
In Boston, Il Panino Express in the North End is awesome- my wife and I can polish off a large ourselves, and then feel guilty but oh so happy about it. Mangia does a good job of whole wheat crusts (which is hard to do). Rowayton Pizza in CT is good (good wings, too). Sam's on Court Stret in Brooklyn rocks it out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Having Santarpio's open a store on route 1 in Peabody has been a blessing. I will sometimes get a pie on the way home from Boston.

Hawkshot99

contrary to what might have been conveyed in the lunch thread i'm not a pizza snob. any pizza is good pizza, some are gooder than others.

I would definitely not call myself a pizza snob, but that statement is wrong!

My family goes down south for vacation. When i was younger my parents wanted a fancy dinner and bought me a pizza to enjoy while they were out. They asked many people who knew the local places, and every person said the same place. It was disgusting. No taste, and seemed like soggy cardboard. I hear lots of people rave about their pizza to this day. When i am down there now, I drive about 20 mins to Pizza Hut when I want pizza. May not be the best, but at least I know what I am getting.

My perfect pizza...Not thin, but a solid crust. When you bend the slice it should split open. Lately I have been liking a buffalo chicken slice, with a buffalo sauce instead of pizza sauce. Then dip it in blue cheese.

BackLoafRiver

Pizza snob? No

Know what I like? YUP.

For a while, I thought Flatbread had some of the best pizza around. (both the Portland and Burlington locations) There is a new joint in downtown Brunswick that opened a few months ago called Flipside and it is out of control good. Their crust is almost perfect. Everything is homemade and they use only local ingredients. The owners are big into supporting local farmers and are super nice. The only place I have found that can compare is Otto's in the Old Port.

I dig the variety in toppings...both places offer the standard fare but will also have fresh apple, fig, goat cheese, pear, and a few other random things. We did a Pear and prosciutto pizza once that blew my mind. Delicious.

For you Burlington dwellers, I think Marcos is spot on. Not quite the same caliber as the other two mentioned but still decent.

.....and now I want pizza.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't make it to Brunswick too often, but will check that place out. Otto is indeed great. Best pie in Portland for sure

gmcunni

place in town sells a mexican pizza.

3 cheeses, chili (with beans), sour cream, hot peppers, black olives and i have them add chicken.

it is one of my favorites, it tastes awesome but i can't eat it any more. goes down great, comes out not so great. i pay the price for a couple of days

snoseek

Santarpios and Biancis are my favorite. I will eat pizza in any form, especially when drinking. The newer market basket have pizza that is suprisingly good and cheap as hell. I also like Sal's. Plain cheese or pepperoni are my choice 90% of the time