• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ziplines - awesome or lame?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What do you guys think of them? I haven't done any of these new ones that are popping up on mountains everywhere but they seem kind of overpriced for me compared to what you get. Or maybe that's just me being negative since I haven't done any yet and am totally missing out on the awesomeness, I was actually considering setting one up in my backyard but I figured it might get boring / old pretty fast.

Also found this deal on BuyWithMe (kinda like a Groupon, I guess?) which has a coupon for a gondola ride / zip combination at Sunday River.

http://www.buywithme.com/boston/deals/8179-sunday-river-resort

$15
Scenic Chondola lift ride plus two zip line rides
Discount: 44%, Savings: $12

$129
One night of lodging, plus breakfast and a scenic lift ride and twin zip line ride for two
Discount: 39%, Savings: $84

deadheadskier

Staff member
my understanding is that they are vastly different experiences depending on where you go. I hear Hunter's is more like an Eco Canopy tour.

Only one I've seen up close is Wildcat's. Looks like fun. Not sure how much I'd be willing to pay to do it. Hard time buying $30 or so for 1 ride when you can go to Six Flags for the day and ride roller coasters all day long for $60.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, the canopy ones look cool because you are higher up. I have also heard good things about the Hunter zip, actually a forum search returned a couple threads on that one specifically.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Actually this does look pretty diesel

The video says its 3000' ft long and goes 50+ mph. That's really long.

I guess when I was thinking of zip lines I imagine 150 - 200 ft runs 10 - 20' off the ground.

bvibert

Staff member
There's some pretty cool videos of some of the Hunter zip lines from 180 around here somewhere.

Do you tip the zip line guide when you're done?

gmcunni

i did the adventure park at Catamount a few times. there are several small zip lines but most of the "fun" is traversing the various ropes and catwalks. did it with my kid so we didn't try the hardest "trails" but it is fun and a good workout if you want it to be.

http://www.catamounttrees.com/

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The Hunter one looks pretty good. The best one I ever did was in Costa Rica - 1/2 mile was the longest line, running about 500 feet above the canopy (not counting the 100' trees).

I'm now trying to figure out how to get to Vancouver and do the zip down the 90 meter ski jump. You accelerate to approximately 87mph.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It seems like MTN. Coasters are in the same category. Looks like great fun, but somewhat expensive for the experience.

I forget what Okemo is charging for their coaster. Just remember thinking that it didn't seem like a great value.

catskillman

I did the mid mountain one at Hunter. I consists of 6 zips, 5 bridges and 1 rappel and takes about 3 hrs. $89.

Have not done the one from the top of the mountain - yet. I have heard it is insane. The first zip is 660 feet high and last's over 1 minute. There are 5 zips and one bridge. They have what they call a Zap line on the bridge if you choose, otherwise you walk across. Not sure the length but it is not short and is very high.
This tour also lasts about 3 hours in total and includes a ride on the 6 pack or in that all terrain vehicle up the parkway if the 6 is not running that day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
See 3 hours for $89 of a very unique experience seems okay to me. I have spent that amount of money and more many, many times on concert tickets for a 3 hour show.

I just looked up Wildcat's zipline. that's $20 per ride. And while I'm sure it's awesome, it just seems like a lot of coin for what probably amounts to less than 5 minutes worth of entertainment.

Then again, I'll woof down a $25 plate of Foie Gras in 5 minutes without batting an eye. So, YMMV

WoodCore

Had a ton of fun on my first zip line experience down in Cabo San Lucas this past April. The one at Hunter looks very similar............

Glenn

Anyone tried the one at Bromley? My wife and I keep saying we're going to head up there one weekend.

JimG.

Staff member
I have not yet ridden the Hunter zip, but from watching others do so this past winter I think the $89 is a great value. The first line from the top is especially thrilling.

catskillman

$89 is for the mid mountain zip at Hunter. The one from the top is more - I think it is $100. There are discounts for groups of 6 or more & there are a lot of 10% off coupons floating around.

I honestly think they are all worth the price. It's not something you would do often......

JimG.

Staff member
$89 is for the mid mountain zip at Hunter. The one from the top is more - I think it is $100. There are discounts for groups of 6 or more & there are a lot of 10% off coupons floating around.

I honestly think they are all worth the price. It's not something you would do often......

You are correct...$100 from the top.

Turns out I do have 2 of those 10% coupons too. Found them in my boot bag last night.

drjeff

Anyone tried the one at Bromley? My wife and I keep saying we're going to head up there one weekend.

Saw it up close last summer (on the day that some random couple were having some anniversary party with fireworks down at Mount Snow ;) ). Looked pretty cool, and fast! Seeing as how the kids were with us, and they didn't meet the height requirement for the zipline, we didn't do it.

The adventure park at Bromley IS worth a ride up rte 30 some day for you and mitz! Totally fun for "kids" of all ages!