• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

N. Kinsman 6/26

Angus

With threat of rain, hail and lightning my plans changed for hiking a higher peak.

Parked the car at the Basin parking lot and proceeded up Basin Cascades to Cascade Brook Trail to Kinsman Pond Trail to then up to to the North Kinsman peak via the Kinsman Ridge Trail.

With all the rain, the Cascade Brook was flowing real well and the multiple crossings were not difficult but just required extra care. Also, the bridge has washed away - actually found a piece along the side of the brook while going up. The lower part of the Basin Cascade and Cascade Brook trail are popular tourist destinations and you pass a multitude of scenic water falls - I was moving pretty fast so didn't bother to stop and take it in. After crossing back over to Kinsman Pond Trail, the trail becomes a stream bed and the vegatation very lush with moss and ferns. At the top, the Kinsman Pond is beautiful and the new shelter is very nice. Spoke briefly with caretaker - very nice person - before moving along to the North Kinsman peak which was shrouded in clouds and didn't provide much of a view - from reading other reports and associated pictures, there are a couple of ledges off the summit which provide better sight lines and view of Kinsman Pond but I didn't bother given cloud cover.

Looking for some variety, I took the Fishin' Jimmy Trail to Lonesome Lake Huts to and then back down the Cascade Brook Trail to the Cascade- Basin Trail back to the car. The Fishin' Jimmy trail was steep and slippery. While on the descent ran across a # of AT hikers - Lincoln seemed to be a popular re-supply spot for them.

Didn't get over to S. Kinsman due to time but thinking I'll jump get over there at some time via the Kinsman Ridge trail staring over at rt 112 - might even make it an overnight!

I suspect this is a terrific hike on a clear day when views of the Franconia Ridge are available as well as Green Mountains. Didn't add up mileage but guestimating 8-10 miles.