• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hmmmm 29er's

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
We just got a pull behind trailer for the 2 year old but it doesn't hook up to my full suspension Trek Liquid due to the design of the rear end.

trek_liquid_04.jpg

My other bike is this a Raleigh M50 that I got for riding around campus in college. It needs new pedals, new derailers, new seat/seat post, and new tires. To get it fixed up I'd have to dump quite a bit of money into the originally $350 bike.

rm50dx.jpg

So I'm considering one of these:

Since I'm 6'4", I think a 29er would look and feel better underneath me. I just have to talk my wife into it :-D

bvibert

Staff member
That should work out fine. Let us know if your wife goes for it, and how you like it once you get it.

What kind of trailer did you get?

bvibert

Staff member
Nice! Those InSTEP trailers get pretty good reviews. Your kid is going to love it!

kingdom-tele

Do it NEK - went the giant route myself, from village sports, love the bike (the shock blows but that was expected) and its rolling ability is very noticeable from the 26'r - here's the set up with the sleep machine attached - 10 -20 miles a week to and from daycare, only time we have issues is after they grade the roads, chickenheads = slow ride - good workout for dad too

our 2.5 y/o loves it

IMG_2430.jpg

KD7000

Nice choice on the Trek. After going through a couple different "neighborhood" bikes, I wound up getting a dedicated tow bike for pulling the trailer or the trail-a-bike.

It's a Norco hardtail -Nothing fancy suspension wise or component wise, but I feel much better having the disc brakes. I'll try to get a picture of the setup.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Not exactly sure yet. Something to replace my 1995 Pro Flex 855.... I'd like a full suspension general mountain bike. nothing too heavy that I can do decent x-country runs on. No more than 2500 (preferably 2k).

Even that is going to be a while for me... gotta save the pennies.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

KD7000

Never even considered a dedicated "tow bike".... I can barely afford the bike I actually want ;)
Well, like some guys around here who have a quiver of skis, I have a quiver of bikes. Plus, I really enjoy building them up, working on them, etc. And unless you need the latest and greatest tech all the time, they last a long time.

My current stable is only 3 bikes, down from a peak of 5...

I needed a tow bike because my Rocky Mountain Slayer is no good at all for riding around with the kids. Same goes for the Bianchi Giro road bike. The Norco replaced an old single-speed Specialized project bike. That was an awesome neighborhood beater, but the lack of gears and lousy rim brakes made it crappy for tow-duty. In retrospect, I should have kept it for chucking around, but I don't have enough storage space for everything.

KD7000

No more than 2500 (preferably 2k).
See, I think we budget way differently... If I had a $2500 budget and no "decent" bike, I'd shop used on Craig's List and get a $1,200 mountain bike, a $1,100 road bike, and a $200 beater to cruise the bike paths on.

Though your old Pro-Flex would make a rockin' bike path cruiser with a riser bar and a nice set of slicks

Philpug

I went from that same exact Liquid 25 to a Specialized Epic 29 and love it.

WoodCore

Are they less maneuverable?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Not really. I'm sure on some super tight trails you might notice it but everything else just seems too ride better.

Philpug

I am thinking up changing bikes. As much as I like me Epic, I want something with more travel out here in Tahoe. It is a 2010 Epic Comp with less than 100 miles on her. Only swap I did on it was the crank to a 2x9 SLX vs the stock 3x9. If interested I can post pics. looking to get 2K shipped.