• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Chocorua -- and the unexpected! August 30, 2006

MtnMagic

Date Hiked:
August 30, 2006​

Trails Hiked:
Champney Falls​

Total Distance:
The hike is 7.6 miles with a 2250' of elevation gain. It takes the average hiker about 6 hours roundtrip.​

Difficulty:
Moderate​

Conditions:
Perfect!​

Special Required Equipment:
Camera and a bombshell​

Trip Report:
Yesterday, I had the pleasant opportunitiy to hike to Mt Chocorua with 8 wonderful people. Lisa, Maggie, Bonnie, HikerAmiga, Adam, Bob and Pete played hookey from work to join together for a hump day hike. It was the usual perfect day to hike, with moderate temps, little wind, and no bugs. The 360 degree views were once again spectacular and we enjoyed fine fellowship within our group and with the others on the trail, and on the summit. After the hike went to Traunt's Tavern in Woodstock for a big dinner, to enjoy their food, and for more great fellowship.​

As I'm hiking daily these days, I don't have time for any trip reports, let alone a full one. I must relate that this hike is dedicated to Todd. Now for the unexpected! Just as the tree line ended before summiting, one of the beautiful women, Maggie an RN, stopped to relate the following stunning details of why *she* joined the hike: Three years ago her husband was killed in the Iraq war. Chocorua was their last hike together. They were married only 7 months. Tomorrow is the anniversary!​

Last edited:

rlc

Comments on the hike

This hike was fantastic! I'm not a regular hiker, I've only done it sporadically over the years, but I'd like to become somewhat of a regular, as time allows.

Yesterday was absolutely one of the top experiences of my life....the 360-degree views at the summit are incredible....if you haven't hiked up Chocorua, you are missing out on a great experience.

Also very enjoyable (and much appreciated) was our guide & trail friend, MtnMagic. His trail talk and wealth of knowledge about hiking in general, and the Whites in particular, were indispensible on this hike. A couple of the members of our group were having a hard time keeping up, but Magic's positive outlook and encouragement kept them going all the way. Special thanks also go to Lisa for organizing this trip through meetup.com.

Lastly, it was indeed a sobering moment when we heard of the loss of Maggie's husband. I hope this trip boosted her spirits. For myself, I know that hearing about her loss is one of the more poignant memories I will take away from this trip....

Mike P.

My sympathy & gratitude go out to Maggie. I hope your hike & day went well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sympathies to Maggie and her family. Makes you think how lucky we are to have the time and freedom to hike and post in here (without fear).

Welcome rlc! :beer:

MtnMagic

Greetings & welcome rlc! I must say tears entered my eyes, more than once. Thank you for your post. Hope to see you on the trail real soon.

MichaelJ said:
And by the way...

MtnMagic said:
As I'm hiking daily these days, I don't have time for any t.p
Eww!

I did mean t.r. Honestly! Oops!!

Thank you for adding your sympathies.

Birdman829

My sympathies to Maggie and I'm very glad you all enjoyed Chocorua. I have hiked the Champney Falls trail a couple times and have always had a great hike.

MtnMagic

Thank you for your kind words b-man. Tomorrow, Sept 11, 2006 is the 5th anniversary. We will never forget!

JPop

Wow, that is a really touching and heartbreaking story. My sympathies.

Chocorua is a beautiful hike. I know friends who don't like to do it because it isn't a "high peak", but it is still a great hike.

It is crowded though. I recently read a good article on Chocorua where the guy hiking it actually got spit on on the summit. But it is still a great hike.

MtnMagic

Chocorua is the 3rds most climb mtn in the world. Behind #1 Mt Fuji and #2 Monadnock. Her revelation touched us and me dearly. On the summit, noon to 2 pm in good weather, you'll find lots of people, double, on a hot summer day. Super views!