• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Not the most techinical, but totally crazy vid here

drjeff

I heard about this one last night when I was on a ride with my locak bike club. A few of the members are doing the Mount Washington Hill Climb next month, and while talking at a regroup point last night, one of the women doing the climb said to search youtube for the night descent video of Mount Washington :eek:

These guys first did a "stealth" climb of all 7.6 miles, and then the descent back down, which must have been nuts given the clouds/fog and that narrow road! Here it is!

bvibert

Staff member
That's got to be a really crazy descent. The video didn't do it much justice though, IMHO.

drjeff

That's got to be a really crazy descent. The video didn't do it much justice though, IMHO.

The woman in my bike club on the ride last night was trying to describe the elevation gain of the road. The 1st 6.5 or so miles averages a 7% grade and then the last mile or so is above a 20% grade :eek: In the official hill climb, they don't let competitors ride down after the make it to the top out of liability issues! And if you've ever been up the MW autoroad in a car, you know that 1) its not very wide 2) its no where near straight and 3) those guard rails aren't very big :eek: It would be psycho enough during the day, with good visibility, let alone at night with the clouds/fog rolling in/out!

bvibert

Staff member
All I keep picturing in my head is overheating the brakes in an attempt to maintain a sensible speed (considering the fog and darkness), resulting in little to no braking power left... :eek:

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
turned our rotors purple and smoked a glove (checking rotor temp:roll:) coming down the road up Burke (kingdom trails) Mt. last year when we found out upper J-bar wasn't prepped yet, and that's maybe half of Washington, if that.