• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cooling your car off quickly in the summer

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://lifehacker.com/5823069/how-to-quickly-cool-down-your-cars-oven+like-interior

Roll down a window on a side of the car. Let's go with the driver's side window. Go to the opposite side door (in this case, passenger side) and open/close it ~5 times. Just do this normally.

SCIENCE: What we're doing here is to help circulate air by drawing the hot air out from the opening/closing door, and causing the cool(er) air to enter the car. So... be careful. Don't accidentally jam your hand against the door. Also, do this when nobody is next to your door so you don't slam it into them.

Video Demo (skip to 1:58, it's in Japanese anyway)

bvibert

Staff member
Watching the video was entertaining at least... :lol:

I think I'll just stick to opening all the windows before I get in (one of my favorite features about my car).

wa-loaf

Open windows, crank AC, blow hot air out, close windows, off you go.

I'm surprised there isn't some way to have the AC run on low off of solar cells on the roof or something when the car is parked.

roark

Open sunroof and windows. Drive fast. Close once AC is cool.

Seems a whole lot simpler.

Glenn

I'm glad I'm not the only AZ nerd who reads lifehacker!

I usually leave my windows cracked at work. I'd love an "app" where I could roll those up or down remotely. I know they have security systems that you can link up with your phone.

bvibert

Staff member
Open windows, crank AC, blow hot air out, close windows, off you go.

I'm surprised there isn't some way to have the AC run on low off of solar cells on the roof or something when the car is parked.

You'd need a lot of solar panels. Not to mention that the car's AC compressor runs off of the engine via belt, so you'd need some sort of interface to the compressor to run it off of a secondary source (electric motor). Would be a cool idea, but I don't think it's practical with today's technology.

Glenn

Doesn't one of the hybrids have solar pannels that will run the HVAC fan (just the fan...not the heat or A/C) to circulate air in the cabin when the vehicle is parked?

bvibert

Staff member
Doesn't one of the hybrids have solar pannels that will run the HVAC fan (just the fan...not the heat or A/C) to circulate air in the cabin when the vehicle is parked?

That's quite possible and plausible.

Glenn

That's quite possible and plausible.

I've often thought that it would be intersting to have solar pannels on the top of vehicles...and let them take the load of the grid during these sunny summer days. Looking out my window at work, there's a lot of vehicle roof square footage out there. If solar pannels were a bit cheaper, more efficient, and that whole "induction charging" thing was invented..... I have lots of silly ideas floating around my head.

bvibert

Staff member
I've often thought that it would be intersting to have solar pannels on the top of vehicles...and let them take the load of the grid during these sunny summer days. Looking out my window at work, there's a lot of vehicle roof square footage out there. If solar pannels were a bit cheaper, more efficient, and that whole "induction charging" thing was invented..... I have lots of silly ideas floating around my head.

There's definitely a potential there, but like you said the solar panels are not cheap. I haven't been keeping up with recent advances, but the last I checked they were a little on the heavy side as well. You'd probably be better off with a covered car park that had solar panels on the roof. It would be expensive, but you'd be be getting dual use out of that space at least.

wa-loaf

There's definitely a potential there, but like you said the solar panels are not cheap. I haven't been keeping up with recent advances, but the last I checked they were a little on the heavy side as well. You'd probably be better off with a covered car park that had solar panels on the roof. It would be expensive, but you'd be be getting dual use out of that space at least.

How about little wind turbines in the grill that can create energy while you are cruising at 80 down the highway? lol

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I've often thought that it would be intersting to have solar pannels on the top of vehicles.

Help me with the "where am I gonna put my canoe/bikes/kayak?"
No car wash for you!

But my biggest concern would be how susceptible to damage are they? My garage door opener decided it didn't like me. So one day, as I was driving in the door came back down, banged the roof and went back up. It's also the only time my kids heard a 4-letter word come out of daddy's mouth!

Glenn

I shoulda been more specific in my phrasing. Not actual pannels, but the flexible stuff they're now working on. It would be basically go over the existing contour of the roof. To really get a bit out ther, maybe someday theyll have a paint that will be able to conduct e sun's energy.

Cannonball