• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baldface-Carter Moriah-Wild River Loop

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
New Hampshire Baldfaces-Carter Moriah Range-Wild River Wilderness
July 16-18
42 Miles
My Friend and I departed the Baldface parking area on RT 113 Saturday morning at 1030AM. We climbed the Baldface Circle Trail to the summit of the south peak then continued onto the north peak. The 3000+ foot climb up the south peak took in beautiful views on the ledges above the shelter and especially at the summit. Blueberries were blooming too. This proved to be the most challenging climb of the trip.

Leaving North Baldface we continued to Eagle Crag and followed the Meader Ridge, Basin Rim, and Basin Rim Trails to Wild River Campground. The trail was very dry until we hit the Basin Trail with only a few trickling areas until then. The trail stayed somewhat open around Eagle Crag but the views faded as elevation decreased. The drop never seemed steep to the campground. Blue Brook was flowing fine although somewhat bony.

From the campground we headed down the Wild River Road a short distance to the Shelburne Trail, crossed the River and ate dinner. There is reports that the trail is difficult to follow in the area near the river and Highwater trail but a few small cairns led the way without too much difficulty. Are plan was to camp somewhere along a stream on the map along the Shelburne Trail but brooks distance was deceiving as it was usually down a steep bank from the trail. I was low on water and climbed down to the stream to fill up on water. Since the woods were very thick with undercover and downed debris no good camping could be made in the area. We decided to head to Shelburne Moriah and spend the night.

Night fell as we approached the first open area of Shelburne Moriah and we needed to get out headlamps. As we climbed an open area afforded SW views to a fireworks display somewhere in what I think was Fryeburg ME area (not sure just a guess). Finally we made the flat summit around 945PM. We were rewarded with awesome views under a full moon. The Presis were illuminated by the moon as well as all the surrounding summits. Gorham lit the valley just below the peak. We slept on the rocks leaving absolutely no trace. The wind stirred heavily overnight gusting to at least 50 making the sleeping bags shake making for a somewhat noisey night.

Waking up in the morning we caught the daylight view from the summit and it was quite the sight with all the peaks in the Presis, Carters, and beyond as well as some fog covered lakes east of Gorham and into Maine.

The Kenduskeag Trail descended slowly before climbing back to Mt. Moriah which has some great 360s from its perch teetering above the trees. I hadn't been on the Carter Moriah Trail since my 1999 Thru Hike of AT and I forgot how rugged the range was. The best climb I found was from Imp shelter to the North Carter area. The Carters were disappointing on the summits for how high they are but offered some good views along the way nonetheless below summits. The drop into Zeta pass was fairly long however the climb to Mt. Hight seemed short. Mt. Hight was the moneyshot of the range taking in great 360s including the Baldfaces where we started which seemed just across the Wild River.
A couple Gray Jays got a meal from me on Hight.

Carter Dome is almost a waste of elevation with its wooded summit. The drop into Carter Notch is worth more than the summit as you drop steeply into the rocky gap overlooking its ponds.

We descended the valley on the Wildcat River Trail which gently lost the elevation. At a stream crossing just before the Wild River Trail we ate dinner before heading onto Perkins Notch Shelter where we spent the night. We tented at a flat open area just next to the shelter. The bugs were bad in this area with Swampy No Ketchum Pond just beyond. A few showers fell through the night but nothing serious.

We left the following morning along the Wild River Trail until we reached the Eagle Link. The entire distance of the Wild River Trail we followed was in and out of mucky sections with numerous little streams to cross. The Eagle link gently climbs to Eagle Crag before a steep descent down the Baldface circle trail. The following morning was overcast but still afforded good views into the Carter Moriahs. The Baldface Circle trail did get less steep after the first mile or so as we got back to the lot around 1145 AM.

It was a good trip with lots of views, lots of 4ks if you want them, and some nice scenery. We didn't see any big wildlife although the Wild River Trail was covered in moose tracks and scat.
I'm sorry there are no pics. I live in a dial up only area and it takes way too long from my home PC.

Riverskier

Nice report. When I was in high school back in the mid 90's a friend and I did a hike called the Wild River Loop starting and ending at the Wild River Campground. 3 or 4 days, can't remember. I don't really remember the route, but definitely remember many of the trail names you mention. I also remember taking the Rainbow Trail up and the Black Angel Trail down Carter Dome. Carter Dome was the only 5 thousand footer I ever hiked. That whole area is beautiful and uncrowded, at least back then. Haven't done any backpacking, or even hiking for that matter really, in the last 10+ years, but reading about it makes me want to get back out there!