• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Volkl AC4: 2005/06 model versus 2006/07 model

saus

Fascinating! The women with whom I ski use the same skis that the guys do. I never heard any of them mention a "women's ski". Feel fortunate they're not hearing your comment while standing nearby. In all candor, the cmment sounds entirely patronizing to women.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
In all candor, the cmment sounds entirely patronizing to women.
his comment is not at all patronizing to women. the ski industry is quickly realizing that men's body's and the physics exerted by the different sexes are different. most ski manufacturers are coming out with entire lines of skis more dedicated to women's physiques and builds. how is it patronizing to suggest women use skis designed for their physiques that are different than a males? HPD did after all point out that some women could easily handle the biggest and burliest of skis, but most women won't.

saus

Of course, we're all entitled to our own opinions, including me and many women who don't buy into the need for "women's" special skis. Also, this post replied to a guy who says he's getting them fpor his wife. Perhaps others who don't know her know better than he and his wife just what she needs - but I doubt it. Since the "what women's skis are made for" responded to that post, it came across to me - and still does - as patronizing to women. As I say, we're all entitled to our opinions, patronizing or not, and in my opinion, the post was - is - gratuitously patronizing to women. That doesn't mean the guy needs to be worked over with a wet noodle or banned from interacting with women ever again - he just stated his opinion. I just stated mine.

highpeaksdrifter

In all candor, the cmment sounds entirely patronizing to women.

In all candor I resent your accusation. The purpose for recreational skiing is to have a good time. If a person (man or woman) is on a ski that is too difficult to turn for them it isn’t pretty and it’s not fun for the person. Truthfully based on what you’ve written about your own ability I would have to say the AC4 is probably too much ski for you. Men often let their egos get in the way when buying the correct equipment for themselves, most women I know don’t suffer from that problem.

I sell skis to women patrollers and instructors all the time, a few want men’s skis and benefit from them, but most want nothing to do with them.

I have a feeling you try to talk the gear talk, but your knowledge in reality is limited.

Below is a link about women’s skis written by a woman, one of hundreds you can find searching the Internet.

http://www.winterfeelsgood.com/winterfeelsgood.php?section=gear&page=buy_w_skis

I would like to hear the opinions of our female members.

saus

My goodness! No problem! You have a point! and you're right - I'm not only an average skier (and that's no brag - I'm really that good), I also don't know squat about skis. Haven't I said I'm buying them because they're RED and look cool in the lift line?:grin:

In all candor, I wish I'd posted that in different language after waaaaay more careful thought. Bear in mind I was not intending to judge you, I was giving my opinon on your post. If my post conveyed otherwise, that's my error. Please accept my apology.

Some women in the business are strong advocates for gender (woman) specific skis. Some women in the business thinks that's rubbish. My own wifey is a level 5 on a good day (she doesn't ski all that much) and she just detests the "woman" things people have done to her boots and bindings. No more heel lifts, etc. She's happier on other stuff.

If I said that I've skied with my wife for six years, she's a strong skier, she was on ABC skis and didn't like them in crud, and so I was getting her some XYZ skis for that, I probably wouldn't want to argue with someone - who's never even met her - that my choice (and hers) is wrong based on her gender. However, that person STILL would be entitled to his opinion no matter HOW patronizing it seems to me.

Even we average skiers who don't know squat about skis are entitled to our opinions. For heavens sake! No offense intended! Here - :beer: I- owe you a beer when we meet. Fresh tracks to you.

saus

I won't resist making a comment about Lisa's article. She's doing the same thing - making statements about problems caused by being a female skier. My concern about that is - many men have the same problems. Maybe it's their weight or weight distribution, maybe it's their athletic abilities - whatever. Many of these men can benefit from what are called "women's skis" - but they won't. They don't want to be "girlly men".

Sure, woman are built differently than men (Gott sie dankte). But women are built differently from each other, men are built differently from each other, and we all have different neervous systems. Why not deal with individuals in skiing?

The women who have argued for women specific equipment are very convincing to a very large market. Frankly - I mean, in a ll candor - I'm delighted with what these women they bring in to the skiing market. I also listen to the other women - professionals and recreational skiers.

Anyway, debates that argue issues are good for the sport.

Excuse me, must go now. I have a craving to look at the pictures of my red skis. I'll let you know at the end of the season whether that color helps me to ski better, or not.

highpeaksdrifter

. Many of these men can benefit from what are called "women's skis" - but they won't. They don't want to be "girlly men".

Of course they won’t, they’d be laughed off the hill. There’s also no reason to cause there are all sorts of men’s soft flex, easy turners on the market.

Also take a look at the graphics lately on women’s skis, very feminine. I think that’s empowering for women. In a sport where men make up the vast majority, it’s saying the ladies are here too.

saus

Hey, HPD, if this rings the bells and brings the people into the church, who can complain.

I sure would like to hear from women on this forum. ARE there any? Speak to us, PLEASE!:grin:

tree_skier

They make women's skis for a reason. AC4 would be too much ski for all but very powerful expert women. Most women are just not as strong or quick in their movements to handle that ski.

My daughters about 5'9" and an advanced skier. We each have demo bindings so one run we switched and she took a run on my Top Fuels. It only lasted about 500 feet. She couldn't wait to get her own skis back.

As a race coachI have yet to see any women racing on women skis.

Also if you dig into the tech. data the big difference between most womens skis and mens of the same product slot is graphics and perhaps a softer flex. Some have identical specs. So should a 5'10 180 lb strong female be on a womens ski that may be softer then a mens and a 5'4 130 lb seditary man be on a mans ski that may be stiffer?

tree_skier

My wife doesn't race anymore but still loves the slalom skis, just doesn't like how they ski off of a smooth surface thus the AC4 option

saus

Great experiment: Conceal all graphics and markings on a set of unisex and women's skis. Take ten average men and ten average women of comparable weight ranges. Have them evaluate the skis. Be sure that the lenghts are appropriate for weight/height of each skier. Then . . .

BeanoNYC

Great experiment: Conceal all graphics and markings on a set of unisex and women's skis. Take ten average men and ten average women of comparable weight ranges. Have them evaluate the skis. Be sure that the lenghts are appropriate for weight/height of each skier. Then . . .

Good idea.....Beano likey.