• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who sails on a regular basis?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Just wondering if anyone else here is into the sport of sailing. nlmasopust suckered me in, and I ended up buying my own boat, a Force 5, in July. It's a 15 ish foot dinghy with a 90 sq ft main sail. It looks something like this:

Force5-1.jpg

Mine:

aa86a16568a567f976b1e9f9823ab744-.jpg

Don't have any of me on the water, I've only been out 6 or 7 times with it. Monday we went down to Groton and I sailed it for the first time on the ocean. It was amazing. It's all I can think about now.

And look how much fun you can have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRvujRFsjY

Those guys are French, and they still managed to have fun. Even without champagne.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Marc,

Guy I used to work with had a 27' sailboat, used to take a bunch of out on a regular basis. It was a blast, I loved it. Dude, I envy you, enjoy!

roark

Used to love taking out my uncles' Hobie-Cat. Fun stuff. I'd love to get one.

Also used to sail with my old accounting teacher on his Cabo Rico 38 a bit. Were supposed to go on some adventures but alas, never happened.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I used to sail all the time before I had kids. About 10 years ago I sailed across like Michigan. Now I tend to spend my time on power boats....I try to water ski everyday but this year its only been about once a week.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Going to the sailing capital of the US this weekend. Going to sail off Newport.

Hopefully I'll snap some pic's to bring back, or better yet, some video of me doing something dumb like capsizing or death rolling.

madskier6

Some friends and I go sailing every year for a "guys weekend" away. We bareboat charter a 27 -36 foot sailboat (depending on what's available) and sail for 2 or 3 days without our wives and children. We hit the ocean and have gone to the following locations:

Penobscot Bay, Maine (4 times)
Rhode Island and Cuttyhunk, MA (once)
Mystic, CT to Block Island (once)

I personally am not that good of a sailor technique-wise but love to go to have fun and be part of the "crew". These trips are possible because one of my friends is an accomplished sailor with a skipper's log of various places he's sailed over the years. This enables us to bareboat charter these fairly expensive boats. Without the qualifications of my friend, we would not be permitted to bareboat charter these vessels.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
My ex's boyfriend has like a 36' sailboat and their out sailing most weekends ..she is living my dream .. Bitch She wouldn't me buy a boat when we were married. She was afraid of the water. Now look at her ..... I think I might look into getting a small boat myself now ..

I'd look into getting a 37 footer.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Went out off Newport yesterday. Once we got out of the harbor and away from Newport and Jamestown... wow. Really choppy, big seas, blowing probably 15 knots. It was crazy. It was insanely hard for this inexperienced sailor to keep the damn boat flat. But tons of fun.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Went out off Newport yesterday. Once we got out of the harbor and away from Newport and Jamestown... wow. Really choppy, big seas, blowing probably 15 knots. It was crazy. It was insanely hard for this inexperienced sailor to keep the damn boat flat. But tons of fun.

worthless.gif

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I grew up sailing Long Island Sound with my family. We started lake sailing in NJ, then moved to a 21 foot Freedom out of Five Mile River, Ct. After a few years we moved up to a 34 foot Saber. We sailed that while I was in High School and every summer my Dad, Brother and I would head out for a couple few weeks. Bounce along the sound and up to Block, the Elizabeth Islands, Nantucket, Ect. Through the canal on the cape once pn that boat. I also used to crew on a Tartan 41 named Green Hornet. Old but fast ans had a very forgiving rateing so in corrected rade we did real well. Had some hair-raising days on that boat.
Then my folks sold the Saber and picked up a Bristol 35.5. Absolutely as fine a boat as you could buy. One of a kind, the only 35 sold her her options package. Sadly, Amazing Grace broke from here morring in a gale and washed up on the rail road causeway in Stonnington. She was totaled, buy salvaged by a skilled yard worker and is being referbed. So my pop found a super sweet Able 42. One of four. I remember him calling that boat his dream boat 20 years ago. Golden Mean is an abolutely stunning boat. Woof Stove. Woodork ect, but she sails like a DREAM. Close reaching in 15 knots you can let go of the wheel for LONG periods of time if she trimmed up correctly.
This summer we did Mt. Desert/Acadia down to Camden. Did Pennobscot last summer, and get the odd weekend out here and there.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Mark and his little dingy, how cute :) How much did you pay the girl to pose with you?

All kidding aside looks like fun, enjoy dude! :daffy:

Har, as much as I wish I could say that was me, in the 420 (the two person boat) that's actually nlmasopust and his girlfriend.

And he pays her plenty.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The white one. The color one is nlmasopust's brother. Most of the close up shots are of the two brothers for two reasons. One, because it was their father taking the pictures and two, he was taking them from their 40 foot Freedom and the two brothers were not quite as shy about sailing up close to it as I was.