• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Condo: Seasonal Rental question

SKIQUATTRO

just wondering how much one can negotate the price of a seasonal rental condo. I understand the owner has to cover costs and is entitled to make a profit, but curious in this economic climate how much wiggle room there is...say if an on-mountain condo is going for $8K plus utilites for the season..what would be a fair offer?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't know much about season condos in particular but I would say that it depends on the owner and the unit. It can't hurt to offer less. How long is the lease? How big is the condo? I would start at least $1k lower than asking. $8k even over six months is still $1300 a month, which ain't cheap, depending on what you are getting.

when it comes to one on one negotiations (single renter vs. single condo owner) anything goes. The right price is what he or she is willing to let it go for, right? :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

drjeff

This time of year, if the unit has rented for a full season in the past and/or had a strong holiday weekend/week rental history, you probably won't get too far with price negotiation. Now if its between Halloween and Thanksgiving and the unit it still available, and the owner is motivated for full season rental vs. just short term weekends/weeks, you might get somewhere!

AdironRider

I wouldnt count on it.

Most people treat rentals as if they are negotiating buying the house. Fact is, unless that landlord is going to lose the house in question without renting it ASAP, they aren't dropping their price.

Also, yeah you might negotiate him down now, but that security deposit might be a little tougher to get back if you know what I mean. The maid service is going to be a little more detail oriented, the fixtures that end up needing to be replaced are going to be a little more high end, etc.

Ive worked in property management now for longer than anything else Ive ever done (managed my rents apartments in high school as pops worked night and weekends, now manage 5 units in Jackson for free rent). I will just not rent to you if you ask for a price reduction. Ive dont that once, and within three months that tenant was evicted. Not saying thats you, but think of it from the landlords perspective. How comfortable would you feel renting to someone when the first form of conversation you have is how they can pay you less?

That being said, as has been mentioned above, if November rolls around and the guy still needs to rent the place, then all bets are off and its worth a shot. Middle of summer in prime renting season, not so much.

AdironRider

I wouldnt count on it.

Most people treat rentals as if they are negotiating buying the house. Fact is, unless that landlord is going to lose the house in question without renting it ASAP, they aren't dropping their price.

Also, yeah you might negotiate him down now, but that security deposit might be a little tougher to get back if you know what I mean. The maid service is going to be a little more detail oriented, the fixtures that end up needing to be replaced are going to be a little more high end, etc.

Ive worked in property management now for longer than anything else Ive ever done (managed my rents apartments in high school as pops worked night and weekends, now manage 5 units in Jackson for free rent). I will just not rent to you if you ask for a price reduction. Ive dont that once, and within three months that tenant was evicted. Not saying thats you, but think of it from the landlords perspective. How comfortable would you feel renting to someone when the first form of conversation you have is how they can pay you less?

That being said, as has been mentioned above, if November rolls around and the guy still needs to rent the place, then all bets are off and its worth a shot. Middle of summer in prime renting season, not so much.

vcunning

As one who has been doing 6-month seasonal rentals for the last 4-years, we've rented through real estate agencies. I haven't seen much room for negotiation (other than extending the time frame pre-season or post-season). That allows us to get moved in and moved out before skiing starts.

I did notice last year that in the December timeframe, there were still a handful or properties available at our mountain (Mt Snow) for seasonal rentals. If you're not too picky about the exact location or amenities, I bet you could find a deal.

Personally, we've found our perfect spot and will continue to rent until the owner decides to sell (we've made offers)

WWF-VT

just wondering how much one can negotate the price of a seasonal rental condo. I understand the owner has to cover costs and is entitled to make a profit, but curious in this economic climate how much wiggle room there is...say if an on-mountain condo is going for $8K plus utilites for the season..what would be a fair offer?

What mountain are you considering? Are you going direct through the owner or an agency ? Are the utilities going to be in your name or the owner of the condo? How is the place heated - electric or gas ?
I think a lot will depend on the availability of similar units at the same mountain and the timing of the rental. I think vcunning is right in that there typically isn't a lot of room for price negotiation but you can work on other terms of the lease.