• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Advice on Going "Lighter"

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I know that a few years ago, folks were really, really interested in going light for hiking and backpacking...that at least was the trend in Backpacker magazine. Since then, I have continued my hiking and, in my "older age" have added some pounds onto my...um...gut. So this summer I have been noticing that I really pack a lot for a hike in the Whites. I've been experiementing by doing different things--leaving books at home and using photocopies of info. Not bringing the camera. But still, I think I can streamline and reduce weight.

What are your tips? How do you balance safety with the convenience of hiking lighter? Any other ideas?

Mike P.

I don't, I still carry more gear than needed. I also often come up from CT & don't get up the mountains as often as I would like. Therefore I'd rather carry that extra fleece, the extra light or pants so if it's a 35 degree day say in late September on top of the Presidentials & the wind around 40 MPH (hence a wind chill in single digits) I'm hiking where I wanted to go, not turning tail.

That said, I'm using a fanny pack more often for under 10 mile day hikes in (lately that might be a 1/2 day hike) up north & for longer trips in CT & MA outside of winter. The fanny pack I have is pretty large, I can get several energy bars, two liters of water in the pockets, map headlamp, rain coat, light fleece, long sleev poly & the legs from my convertible pants.

That might be one of the things I've done. Instead of shorts & carrying pants, I bring these & just carry the legs. Waterproof no, windproof no, pretty wind resistant & I generate a lot of heat. If you pass a lot of people in a lot of gear & someone sweating & apparently under dressed, say hi. (it could be a few other people I know too.)

Hydrate in the car before you start, down a quart of water before hand & you should need a little less.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I started by getting a smaller pack - one of a size that I knew in my mind was correct for a certain caliber of hike. Then I saw what fit into it. That made me realize a lot of garbage I didn't need. Mainly it was layers and extra clothes. While there are certainly times and hikes when it's appropriate to have 2 fleece, extra socks, top and bottom shells, hat and gloves, and emergency bivy, some hikes just don't need all that protection.

But I make up for it by carrying real food — no freeze-dry for me!

Jonni

I try to pack somewhat light, but I often find myself packing way too much anyway. It's hard to really figure what's the best route to take for that as you don't know what you may encounter on the trail. Will the weather change, and you'll need that extra fleece? Will you slip and fall into a brook while trying to cross it, and need the extra shirt, pants and socks? For me it depends on the hike. If it's something short, the camera, light jacket, water and maybe a sports drink will suffice. Something longer, and I start thinking about packing a complete change of clothes, topo maps, etc. So it really depends, though I think packing as light as you can is probably better.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I tend to break hikes into three types. For short hikes, such as like a Mt. Olga or Mt. Holyoke or Mt. Watatic, I don't bring anything. For something a bit longer, like Magic Mtn. to Timber Ridge, I bring a pocket knife and a bottle of water. For long hikes, such as the Sugarbush Range, I'll bring a light backpack with a pocket knife, 2-3 bottles of water, a sweatshirt (jacket in colder weather), a compass, a snack/lunch, maybe extra socks, and I plan to add some bandages too, just keep forgetting.

I haven't packed a map in maybe 6 years...I study the topo beforehand and learn my boundaries and the general layout of the mountain.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I haven't packed a map in maybe 6 years...I study the topo beforehand and learn my boundaries and the general layout of the mountain.

Not to call you out, however, as good as your memory is, I'd wager its not perfect. Maps are menial in terms of weight, however provide tons of information should you ever get lost. Earlier this summer, a map saved me from a harrowing back country skiing adventure in wyoming. It was simple snowmobiling map, with bridge numbers, no topo features. However, wh en I accidentially skied into the wrong drainage, it was the only way I could get my barrings.

Personally, I would not leave home without a map for a more than an hour hike.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I'll have a map with me when I venture into the Whites, but for stuff like Stratton or Greylock, I wing it. That said, if its a state park and they give me a map or have a map box at the base, I'll take one...but that seems rare outside of the main MA parks.

cbcbd

Unfortunatedly what usually happens is that you buy your gear... and then you use it and actually learn about how it sucks carrying all that heavy cheap stuff.
And now you have to buy new gear.

So, buy new, lighter gear and start with the big items:
-tent
-pack
-sleeping bag
-sleeping pad
-stove
etc

-Buy right the first time (and don't be cheap) and you won't have to buy more gear in the future.
-Research each item carefully to make sure you get exactly what you want. Buyers remorse is just frustrating.
-You don't have to upgrade it all at once, but if you have the cash then why not.

If you can trim down on all the big stuff that's where you'll save most of the weight and then you can allow yourself to take that book and not feel as bad about it - kind of like allowing yourself a slice of pie after a week of eating right.

But remember, it's all dependent on your what luxury you need. If you demand a big cushy sleeping pad or a honkin' tent then you'll have to carry a big honkin' pack that will carry all that stuff comfortably.

cbcbd

Oh yeah:
-get wet, leave rain stuff behind, just take a poncho
-If you don't have a knack for twisting your ankles and don't have some specific foot condition that requires you to wear a stiff soled boot then wear lighter shoes.