Do You Hike With an I-Pod????

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Do you hike with an I Pod or Walkman????

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Love it and will not go back.

1 2.78%
  • No. Never do and probably never will.

25 69.44%
  • Sometimes...

10 27.78%
  • What is an I Pod????

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Items for Sale

Arrow Do You Hike With an I-Pod????

This summer I have seen more anti-social hikers than ever before. Anti-social because my usual greeting and kind words are not being received by I-Pod toting hikers. With the I-Pod, many can put their favorite songs and entire CD's on a small electronic device. Now most of the hikers I have seen are thru hikers, so I can understand why you might want some tunes every now and then. But isn't hiking about being in the woods away from the electronic junk? Isn't it about listening to the wind in the trees or the silence? And what about the camraderie with your fellow hikers?

So do you wear an I Pod hiking and if so why? Or are you one of those Luddites who, like me, are left scratching their heads?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    This summer I have seen more anti-social hikers than ever before. Anti-social because my usual greeting and kind words are not being received by I-Pod toting hikers. With the I-Pod, many can put their favorite songs and entire CD's on a small electronic device. Now most of the hikers I have seen are thru hikers, so I can understand why you might want some tunes every now and then. But isn't hiking about being in the woods away from the electronic junk? Isn't it about listening to the wind in the trees or the silence? And what about the camraderie with your fellow hikers?

So do you wear an I Pod hiking and if so why? Or are you one of those Luddites who, like me, are left scratching their heads?
    I ahd thought about it from time to time, but like you mentioned. The real reason I go to the woods is to escape from those things. I love to hear the natural sounds of the forest, plus how would you hear if someone was coming up on you or if an animal was approaching you...

Leave them at home...

M

I thought the whole idea of hiking was to get closer to nature and get away from all the noise.
    I always hike with other people but even if hiking solo I don't think I would ever bring one with me.

So - none for me, thanks!

I use one when I'm on the trail for a workout.
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

I don't have an I-Pod so I really don't apply when it comes to this. But the hiking trail is just that, a hiking trail. I hike to get away from that stuff and it seems to me as a rude thing to everyone else that may be using the trail to be listening to an I-Pod while hiking.
    Northeast Regional Moderator of Skilifts.org
    http://www.skilifts.org

Curved Ski Poles n. 1. Expert skier's poles bent at the factory to fit around the body and thus improve control and reduce air resistence. 2. Beginner's poles bent during use to fit around trees, trail signs, snowmaking equipment, lift towers, and other skiers.

12/13 Ski Season: 32 Days 238,883 vertical feet 301 individual runs

TB....I'm with ya totally on this. How many times have ya been somewhere and it appears some idiot is talking to you and you figure out quickly that they have one of those hidden cellphones on there head and even tho they standing next to you and looking right at you, they are talking on their cellphone.

BTW, there has been a similar thread recently started, not that it hasn't come up before, over on http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic9652, I have posted on that thread as well but with a diferent name. Should be easy to figure out which idiot is me....lol
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

" Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

No & unless I'm on the trail for a week plus or I'm "forced" to be a camp site or on the trail during a game 7 that I care about (in which case I need a radio not an I-Pod) If on the trail that long I want a radio to keep up with the outside world not listen to a 5 - 30 year old song I've heard 20 - 2000 times before.

Back in the day when a walkman was the latest technology (just stop the what's a walkman Cr@p right now) I was big into listening to tunes while on the treadmill stairmaster or even jogging a bit warming up for a VB match but never hiking or being outdoors.

The big concern in the old technology was the damage you were doing to your ears blasting the music right into your ears. WHAT"S CHANGED ON THAT FRONT?

(yelling due to prior ear damage)
    Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonni View Post
    I it seems to me as a rude thing to everyone else that may be using the trail to be listening to an I-Pod while hiking.
    Well - color me rude...

I don't understand why me wearing an MP3 player is rude... I talk to people all week... And I hike/run trails to get away from people...

What if I don't buy into the comradery of the trail stuff??
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Well - color me rude...

I don't understand why me wearing an MP3 player is rude... I talk to people all week... And I hike/run trails to get away from people...

What if I don't buy into the comradery of the trail stuff??
    Yeah - I can see this point. Esp if you're only out there for a workout. Or if you're out for an extended period, I'd need tunes, too.

But in general I am a Luddite as well. I go out to the woods, either skiing or hiking to hear the wind and the trees and the streams, not rock 'n roll. When our group goes camping it makes me crazy to see some of the kids with an XBox or other video game in their hands. Go run around or come climb a mountain with me and put the electronic gear away. The opportunity to quietly appreciate a beautiful natural setting is getting rarer every day.

Cool... But i don't go around calling people rude and jump on a high horse when someone is into something different then I'm into... Unless they do something to bug me...

Thread Information