• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do You Hike With an I-Pod????

Do you hike with an I Pod or Walkman????

• Yes. Love it and will not go back.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • No. Never do and probably never will.

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Sometimes...

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • What is an I Pod????

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

montvm

I guess if I wanted to get away from music I would... But generally I enjoy listening to music all the time... Never really felt the need to get away from music...

When I’m walking in the woods, I would rather listen to the sounds of my footsteps, the rhythm of my breathing, the wind in the trees, the snow falling, Mr. Red squirrel yelling at me. If I’m far enough in the back country, I’ll stop and listen to the amazing silence. It gives me the feeling as if I'm on another planet, alone. No cars, planes, no people, no music, just the wind, and other natural sounds. There is something special about this kind of silence that is almost eerie. I can't explain it, but it is one of the things that keeps me coming back to hike, even after a long hiatus.
For me, these times are few and far between, and my hiking experience would be ruined by music playing through a headseat. And noticed I said for me. I am not trying to advocate my thoughts or feelings about this; I’m just trying to explain why I feel this way. I'm not saying that one way is right or wrong. I love music too. I own an IPOD, and use it too, but just choose not to when I’m in the woods. I enjoy the music that nature provides for me. This is one of the main reasons that I hike. Listening to music would dull my hiking experience. Sure I would still enjoy the hike, but only about 80% of it...

dmc

For me - hiking is mostly visual....

But I do enjoy silence as well.. It's all good..

ctenidae

I don't like wearing headphones ever. I rarely even have the radio in the car turned up much above barely audible. Personal thing, I guess- I like to be able to hear my surroundings- when driving, the sound of the tires and the negine, when hiking the sound of my feet on the trail, birds, bears, whatever. On the train I like to be able to hear the insame murmurings of teh reject from the vodka ward next to me. I just feel closed off and disconnected when I have headphones on or music up loud.

Just me, though. I can see how, especially when trail running for a workout, headphones could be nice.