• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Back to the Basics - Outback in Maine, a/o 8/3/11

WoodCore

Looks like an awesome place! It's so nice sometimes to fully disconnect from everyone else so that you can re-connect with yourself.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I really have to warn you that they work hard to keep things quiet. That's who they want and that's who want to be there. No partees, rowdy behavior.

Put your car far away and throw the keys away. No reason to lock anything. The don't entertain you, and you don't stay up late, but you will get up early. Nothing can describe fog on the pond at 5AM and hear only your breathing and some critters splashing around in the pond.

Disconnect you will. In fact, Leave your iPod and DVD player and computer at home. The other "campers" are like-minded folk, It really gives you a chance to attach to nature. This is NOT for everyone. It's not tent camping, but nothing is luxury.

When I say basics, I mean basics. Remember this was a fishing and hunting camp 100 years old. All the curmudgeonly old men are long gone. It's run by a young crew.

Going hiking or biking or fishing? You'd better be able to be self - sufficient and have your wits about you. It's quite easy to get lost, even on logging roads. Yes, there are plenty of deer flies in the woods, but you can deal with that.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I live about 45 min from Greenville and XC the AMC trails quite a bit. Nobody around away from the huts, Great place. I explore the Moosehead region quite a bit winter and summer. Anyone want to move up here. Our place is for sale. 45 mins to Greenville. 55 to Bangor. Very cheap living close to town but in middle of nowhere.

bigbog

Yeah I'm a AZ_mainiac...tomcat, I'm in Bangor. One thing I heard this last weekend, before heading over to check out my sensor-cameras on Farrar Mtn(above 2nd Roach Pond)....is that the Maine AMC "has built a few huts up on Farrar Mtn"...I didn't check out the higher elevation terrain so I have no idea about the legitimacy of spoken word(by NMW administrator = manning the Jo-Mary gate...:dontknow:
Maybe the Nahmakanta Wilderness thing is going to fly, with Roxanne Quimby...?(No idea on this...)

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah I'm a AZ_mainiac...tomcat, I'm in Bangor. One thing I heard this last weekend, before heading over to check out my sensor-cameras on Farrar Mtn(above 2nd Roach Pond)....is that the Maine AMC "has built a few huts up on Farrar Mtn"...I didn't check out the higher elevation terrain so I have no idea about the legitimacy of spoken word(by NMW administrator = manning the Jo-Mary gate...:dontknow:
Maybe the Nahmakanta Wilderness thing is going to fly, with Roxanne Quimby...?(No idea on this...)

I biked to nah over nine miles of logging road. It is a pretty compact place with very new cabins. It strikes me as a place for people that want wilderness but want someone to hold their hAnd. Not dissin it. To each their own. Me? I can get lost very well with no help thank you very much! :)

yeah there are a couple of outback housekeeping cottAges. Then again outback means different thins to different people. God, I miss thAt place already. Make it snow so I can take my mind off of it....

bigbog

Just jumping around some threads tonight.
In the fall there's a Fly-In in Greenville....loads of outfitters fly in with their favorite planes...a few concession stands...everyone ends up having a few brews at the few pubs/small-restaurants in the town/village.
Moosehead Lake is the largest around...people from lower towns built their camps on/near the lake to escape (usually) on weekends...since the beginning of the 20th century. Back when many of the ponds' waters were essentially unfished(with 25 trout/day limits)...the primitive camps courted fishermen/any outdoor people. Funny that tenting/camping came around as a family activity, in mass appeal, from the 60s on. Areas away from urban-center highways place a demand on a little different type of vehicles...rugged tires, clearance...etc, where once you get down near larger towns/cities...the need for the efficient and/or high-performance vehicles' demand becomes high.
DeLorme's coverbound Maine Atlas & Gazateer is the Bible...topographic/GPS featured...for driving, walking/hiking/paddling-portaging around up here. Yeah...logging takes its toll in areas, but it's surprising how nature recovers. I usually take a little time to drive around and where replanting should happen but isn't...I take some pics and email a couple parts of the state's environmental sector of state gov't. Compared with other states...Maine's state gov't bends over backwards...a lot more could've been done for decades...but then there are areas where replanting is done. More so now than in some past years....
Some nice areas for ascending/descent(downhill and/or tele)...then the traverse=x-c gear is needed...backcountry is just a step off the roads once you get above Greenville's lattitude.
$.01

Last edited:

speden

Looks like a nice place. Notice many ticks in that area? They're predicting this could be a bad year for ticks due to the lack of acorns in the fall.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Since I moved to the center of Maine (45 mins south of Moosehead) 6 years ago, my dogs have had a total of three ticks and I had one and I'm outside A LOT. When I lived in PA I would have to check myself after every field crossing and every outing and sometimes would get 4 or 6 a mountain bike ride or hike.

bigbog

Speden, as tomcat mentioned...with as much brush & growth throughout the woods...the colder winter, spring, and fall temps tend to keep the deer tick population down<--(*I am just guessing on this.), up here, in comparison with milder year-round climates, but they are out there. We'll see..

Last edited: