• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

UMaine Trails - 8/2/11

BackLoafRiver

Not much of a trip report as the ride was cut short. I just thought I would throw this up here as it made me laugh.

Finally riding normal stuff again and this was the first day I was able to really explore the Orono lands this summer. We rode about 4 miles before the clouds rolled in. As were were in the thick of the woods, we saw a massive flash of lightning and an incredible thunder crack. Scared us to death. The problem was, were were a few miles away from shelter. We backtracked and hauled it to a nearby research farm. The skies opened up and it was easily the most wet I have ever been on a ride. We made it just in time to beat the real storm. Thank god my buddy Jeff knew of this place...I don't know what we would have done if it wasn't there.

The good news out of all of it, we were safe and my leg handled some HARD pedaling.

2 pics from my Droid:

Looking out of the barn:
IMG_20110802_160614.jpg

Our bikes:
IMG_20110802_161141.jpg

Total Mileage: 7.5, which was impressive given the weather situation.

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like a bit of rain... :eek:

We got caught in a really good down pour down here earlier this year, no thunder and lightning though (I don't think). We were mostly in pretty dense cover, so when the rain first started it wasn't too bad, but when the skies really opened up it didn't matter, we got soaked. At first it was a rush to try to get back to the cars ASAP, until we got as wet as we could possibly get (I couldn't have been any more wet if I jumped in a river), then we weren't in quite as much of a rush. I'm in no hurry to get that wet while riding again...