• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to the northeast

socalbeachbums

Hello everyone,

I am moving back to the northeast from southern CA. I am intested in finding out what mountians and hikes are around. Class III and IV climbs are what I love but I also like 4 and 5 day loops. I can't wait to start exploring out there!

Thanks for all of the advice in advance

Mike P.

Welcome back & welcome to AZ.

Not too much class 3 & class 4, parts of a couple of trails in NH, (Huntington) maybe some high two on Katahdin (Dudley, Cathedral) & some 3 maybe 4 in the ADK's if you travel off trail & tackle some of the slides & the Colden Trap Dike.

Plenty of 4 & 5 day options, nothing rivaling the Sierra's though. If you hike all year, the terrain & weather get pretty instesting from October to May & occasionally in the summer also.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Welcome!
We've got the Appalachian Trail and the Long Trail, both of which provide myriads of 4-5 day (week/month) options though all sorts of terrain, and have appropraitely spaced tentsites/shelters and water sources to help out.

There are also ways to do loops or hike into wilderness and base camp just by staying in the Whites; a popular example is to start and end at the Lincoln Woods ranger station on Rte 112 near Lincoln, NH, and go up over Franconia Ridge north, then east across Garfield Ridge, over S. Twin and the Bonds, and back down. Another is the Carter-Moriah range.

I would start by picking up the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) guide for the White Mountains, and possibly the Maine guide as well. Both include maps. Also the Long Trail guide from the GMC (Green Mountain Club). Think of these as the reference, and us as the user's guide. :) Plus, having the maps will make it a lot easier to follow discussions.