• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RiverC0il Goes for a Test Drive: CT 200h, JSW TDI, Mazda3, & Elantra

Geoff

Don't fill up with diesel in CT, they just added another .05 a gallon tax on it.

Having driven through Connecticut a number of times recently, gasoline prices are equally ridiculous. Unleaded is around $3.25/gallon here in Massholia. It's a good 20+ cents higher in Connecticut.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was the old 3 a 2.3 liter or MazdaSpeed? We have an 06 2.0 Mazda3 automatic that I use for my 75 mile daily R/T commute. Last tank I got 35.6 MPG which I'm of course thrilled about for a car with 125k miles on it.
Over the winter I was getting 30-31 but since the winter blended fuel is now gone I'm doing much better.

2.5 with a manual transmission. It rarely sees the highway. Spends most it's time on 125 between Lee and Rochester, so that probably has something to do with the poor mileage.

Just took the new 3 to Ludlow, VT for the night last night. Averaged 40.7 for the ride home.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Don't fill up with diesel in CT, they just added another .05 a gallon tax on it.
Oh, you mean another $0.50-0.60 per fill up?

It is an endless source of mirth for myself that people bitch and moan about cents per gallon variances and fluctuations that don't even add up to more than a monthly latte or two yet they still drive vehicles that are not efficient. Folks better be living pay check to pay check, not eating out, not buying coffee/cigs/likker, etc. to have legit beefs of a few cents per gallon.

Let's face it, those of us well off enough to be able to afford the premium for the diesel probably aren't flinching over an extra measly five cents per gallon...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Having driven through Connecticut a number of times recently, gasoline prices are equally ridiculous. Unleaded is around $3.25/gallon here in Massholia. It's a good 20+ cents higher in Connecticut.
Meh. Concord, NH was $3.17/gallon Saturday but the Mobil in Wilmington, MA where we stopped to fuel up had regular around $3.50ish. It fluctuates pretty substantially even within a given state. I should have tanked up the diesel before driving south, that is for sure. CT rates would have been a bargain compared to Boston Metro.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was that Mobile off the exit to 93? I forget the exit number, but there's a Sporting ticket outlet (Ace maybe) right across the street? If so, I've observed that station to be the most expensive in Mass. I used to pass by it frequently on my sales route.

Fuel on the Northshore of Mass is averaging $3.25-$3.30 right now, which is what it is around the NH seacoast. CT is definitely appreciably more expensive on average than Mass and the rest of New England.

hammer

Oh, you mean another $0.50-0.60 per fill up?

It is an endless source of mirth for myself that people bitch and moan about cents per gallon variances and fluctuations that don't even add up to more than a monthly latte or two yet they still drive vehicles that are not efficient. Folks better be living pay check to pay check, not eating out, not buying coffee/cigs/likker, etc. to have legit beefs of a few cents per gallon.

Let's face it, those of us well off enough to be able to afford the premium for the diesel probably aren't flinching over an extra measly five cents per gallon...

At the local station diesel is slightly more expensive than premium...which makes it about 40 cents more than 87 octane. Chances are that the increased efficiency makes up for the price difference, but if one is particular about overall fuel costs it is something to consider when buying a vehicle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
At the local station diesel is slightly more expensive than premium...which makes it about 40 cents more than 87 octane. Chances are that the increased efficiency makes up for the price difference, but if one is particular about overall fuel costs it is something to consider when buying a vehicle.
Over the course of 150k miles or so, diesel wins back its loses in extra cost. There are more fuel efficient cars available (Prius, CT200h, etc.) and there are barely less fuel efficient cars available (all the cars that get 40 MPG highway EPA estimates) but there are very very few high performance cars that are fun to drive and have great cargo space (PriusV has good cargo space but looks horrid and is not fun to drive, Mazda3 is fun to drive but space is still limited). The 40 MPG highway EPA crowd are all compact cars. Some mid-sized are getting up to 35 highway by total MPG is much less. I wasn't complaining about the extra cost of diesel fuel but rather poking fun at 03jeff's comment about a five cent tax which when you're already paying $4/gallon (or I was prior to the recent price decline) is chump change and doesn't have much effect on me any ways... especially when I'm dropping $5 a day in red bull. In the overall picture, even fuel dropping fifty cents is only five bucks per fill up for compact and mid-sized cars.

o3jeff

My problem is the tax CT jams on the gas, .46 for gas and now .51 for diesel. I am sure if the prices where in line with boarding states the state would make a lot more money with snack and drink purchases on fill ups.

I drive about 25,000 a year for work and probably more than 2/3 of my gas isn't bought in CT.