• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RiverC0il Goes for a Test Drive: CT 200h, JSW TDI, Mazda3, & Elantra

wa-loaf

Yea, regardless of size, the lines and appearance are much better.

I've got two kids so the size is fine for me. On a long trip we can fill my outback and roof box with stuff no prob.

The AC is broken in my GTI (and in the SUV). With the high temps and humidity, I got 34 mpg driving from KMart to Logan Airport yesterday. I didn't realize how costly it is to run the air conditioner in that car.

Snow tires and the yakima box give my car a bigger mileage hit than the AC. My mpg average is always 2-3 miles higher in the summer.

Philpug

Not sure about Hybrids, but TDIs really hold there value much better than there gas powered cousins. So even if you do only hold onto the car for 3 years you will still probably be doing better $$$ wise vs. the gas version of that same car.

The resale value for a diesel is usually more than the up front cost difference no the net cost for the diesel is either the same and lower than the gas counterpart and in the meantime you are getting a better performing vehicle in both economy and performance.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The AC is broken in my GTI (and in the SUV). With the high temps and humidity, I got 34 mpg driving from KMart to Logan Airport yesterday. I didn't realize how costly it is to run the air conditioner in that car.
I haven't really noticed an AC penalty in my car. The owners manual actually recommends always having the AC engaged. There is probably some sorta penalty. But I still get in the 40s running it constantly so it isn't enough of a penalty to warrant discomfort.

Another thing you won't hear a hypermiler say. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gotcha

We have a 2004 Mazda3 Hatch that we really enjoy, but the mileage isn't all that great. I actually get better mileage out of my Hyundai Sonata with a V6. The new Skyactive 3 is a compelling eventual replacement with its 40mpg, but you sacrifice some horses to get to that figure. So, a Golf TDI would be on our radar as well as I assume and you confirm that its performs a bit better. Another factor weighing against the Mazda is I don't believe you can get a Skyactive drive train with MT and a sunroof. The wife HAS to have a sunroof. :smash:

Whelp, bought the new Mazda 3 hatch today. :lol: Traded in the Sonata. It was still running fine at 174K, but I wanted something new and under warranty again. It will eventually become my wife's car when I finish school in a couple of years as we do want to have 1 bigger car instead of 2 compacts. But, with a 50 mile commute to the hospital I'll be interning at for the next two years, MPG was the driving factor. Considered a Golf or Jetta TDI, but I do really like the Mazda 3 and the upfront costs are considerably lower. Pick the car up on Tuesday.

o3jeff

Whelp, bought the new Mazda 3 hatch today. :lol: Traded in the Sonata. It was still running fine at 174K, but I wanted something new and under warranty again. It will eventually become my wife's car when I finish school in a couple of years as we do want to have 1 bigger car instead of 2 compacts. But, with a 50 mile commute to the hospital I'll be interning at for the next two years, MPG was the driving factor. Considered a Golf or Jetta TDI, but I do really like the Mazda 3 and the upfront costs are considerably lower. Pick the car up on Tuesday.
Did you get the Speed3?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Congrats! Curious to hear what you get for gas mileage. While better than the old 3, I've heard (just like many other companies claiming the big four O) that the EPA is higher than actual results on the new 3. Probably light years ahead of the old 3. I'd be nice if they would bring the diesel over. I'd certainly consider pawning the WV off on S and buying a 3 diesel. :lol:

Geoff

I'm eyeing the Mazda CX-5. The SkyActiv in that less aerodynamic body still gets 30 mpg highway. I'm still a couple of years away from consolidating my GTI and SUV into one car but that looks like a pretty good candidate. 30 mpg on regular gas. You can get it with Xenons which is now a deal-killer option for me. At some point, I'll rent one and see how it behaves in my driving pattern. The only thing I dislike is that the option package I want puts me in those stupid 19" wheels. Once again, I'll need to get spare smaller rims to put snow tires on them.

Warp Daddy

Hey good luck with the new wheels DHS the M3 is a cool set of wheels ! You should have very good luck with it . We have a friend with one and he speaks highly about it

We joined the new toy club too : we custom ordered and picked up our new Outback Limited 2 weeks ago Indigo Blue Pearl with white leather power heated seats ,Harmon Kardon 440 watt sound system w subwoofer and tweeter, Bluetooth , home link setup and winter pkg for heated wipers and some other nice toys too.. Also got Serius radio and HD pkg
C
Sold my 2007 Saab Sport Combi w 34,00o miles for a great price 15600.,got a sharp deal on the OB after several on line negotiations.

We've taken two trips so far and averaged 31.8mpg on first 600 miles .Computed on my calculator . Just order some Weathertech Digital fitted winter mats for the OB today so we are set for awhile

deadheadskier

Staff member
Congrats! Curious to hear what you get for gas mileage. While better than the old 3, I've heard (just like many other companies claiming the big four O) that the EPA is higher than actual results on the new 3. Probably light years ahead of the old 3. I'd be nice if they would bring the diesel over. I'd certainly consider pawning the WV off on S and buying a 3 diesel. :lol:

From everything I've read and what the dealer has said, a 2.5 Diesel Skyactiv is coming over next year with the 2014 MY Mazda 6 sedan. It will be based off this concept design:

I'm eyeing the Mazda CX-5. The SkyActiv in that less aerodynamic body still gets 30 mpg highway. I'm still a couple of years away from consolidating my GTI and SUV into one car but that looks like a pretty good candidate. 30 mpg on regular gas. You can get it with Xenons which is now a deal-killer option for me. At some point, I'll rent one and see how it behaves in my driving pattern. The only thing I dislike is that the option package I want puts me in those stupid 19" wheels. Once again, I'll need to get spare smaller rims to put snow tires on them.

I think by the time you're ready to consolidate, the CX-5 will probably be on the 2.5 Diesel engine. I have to imagine the current 2.0 Skyactiv is way under powered for that car. It's adequate and punchy in the 2900# Hatchback, but I would think the same engine in a 3500# Crossover would seem quite under powered.

Hey good luck with the new wheels DHS the M3 is a cool set of wheels ! You should have very good luck with it . We have a friend with one and he speaks highly about it

We joined the new toy club too : we custom ordered and picked up our new Outback Limited 2 weeks ago Indigo Blue Pearl with white leather power heated seats ,Harmon Kardon 440 watt sound system w subwoofer and tweeter, Bluetooth , home link setup and winter pkg for heated wipers and some other nice toys too.. Also got Serius radio and HD pkg
C
Sold my 2007 Saab Sport Combi w 34,00o miles for a great price 15600.,got a sharp deal on the OB after several on line negotiations.

We've taken two trips so far and averaged 31.8mpg on first 600 miles .Computed on my calculator . Just order some Weathertech Digital fitted winter mats for the OB today so we are set for awhile

Nice! Hope you dig your new wheels Warp!!

wa-loaf

Congrats DHS!

My new girlfriend has a 6 speed TDI Sportwagon. I need to see if she'll let me drive it ...

Geoff

I think by the time you're ready to consolidate, the CX-5 will probably be on the 2.5 Diesel engine. I have to imagine the current 2.0 Skyactiv is way under powered for that car. It's adequate and punchy in the 2900# Hatchback, but I would think the same engine in a 3500# Crossover would seem quite under powered.

I agree that the diesel would be far more attractive. 300 foot-pounds of torque would feel very peppy in a 3400 pound car. 150 foot-pounds with an automatic could be an issue on highway on-ramps. That is why I wanted to rent one first. I used to drive cars with similar weight to torque ratios in the 1980's. I'm not sure I'd be happy with it now.

steamboat1

We joined the new toy club too : we custom ordered and picked up our new Outback Limited

We've taken two trips so far and averaged 31.8mpg on first 600 miles .Computed on my calculator .
Yep I get the same kind of highway mileage with my Outback even though it's only rated 27mpg highway. On the other hand city mileage is less than the 22mpg it's rated for. somewhere around 20mpg & even less with the AC on.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Curious to hear what you get for gas mileage.

They were able to get the car for me faster than expected, so I picked it up last Saturday. First week and tank returned 34.7 mpg avg on the cars read out vs. 34.5 by my calculations. I did a fair bit more driving in slow heavy traffic last weekend than I normally do cruising around Hampton Beach and Portsmouth, so I'm expecting 35-36 with my normal driving patterns. Our old 3 averages about 25 combined.

So overall, a 35mpg car on 87 octane that's fun to drive for only $20K seems like a pretty good buy to me.

xwhaler

Our old 3 averages about 25 combined.

Was the old 3 a 2.3 liter or MazdaSpeed? We have an 06 2.0 Mazda3 automatic that I use for my 75 mile daily R/T commute. Last tank I got 35.6 MPG which I'm of course thrilled about for a car with 125k miles on it.
Over the winter I was getting 30-31 but since the winter blended fuel is now gone I'm doing much better.