• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggestions please for skis

JimG.

Staff member
I'd tell you to try the Watea 78, but Fischer stopped making them after last season. You could try to find a pair online (good luck) or try the Fischer Motive which is what replaced them.

Otherwise, a pair of Watea 84's might do the trick for you too. This too is an excellent all mountain type ski.

WJenness

I love my Watea 84s... Thinking about going with something wider, but will probably ski these this season again...

They are basically my 'do everything' ski (though I don't tend to wander into the park). They are amazingly light but still torsionally stiff (thanks to carbon fiber stringers in the ski) I have another pair (elan rip sticks that I bought from wa-loaf) that are my super hardpack day skis... otherwise, I'm on the Wateas.

-w

skidmarks

Atomic THEORY

Hi I'm late to the party but the Atomic Theory All Mountain Twin Tip sounds like a good fit.
Everyone on the SuburbanSport.com Staff who demoed them last spring enjoyed them. We placed them in our Mixed Snow/All Mountain category since the Theory isn't a pure Park and Pipe Ski.

Atomic builds as great ski and and knows it way around twin tips too, they press Armada skis.
I personally have no use for a twin tip but enjoyed the way it skied the whole mountain albeit we were at Okemo.

IMO ski waist width of 88-98 with some early rise is where you'll want to be.

Theory.jpg

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thanks, you aren't late to the party at all! Gonna review all the suggestions this week and make a decision in the next few weeks.. As long as I've got em when the snow falls!

Sent with Tapatalk

skidmarks

Rossignol S3

Another member of our staff Scott loves his Rossignol S3 and finds it to be a great all mountain ski.

Theory.jpg

wa-loaf

Hi I'm late to the party but the Atomic Theory All Mountain Twin Tip sounds like a good fit.
Everyone on the SuburbanSport.com Staff who demoed them last spring enjoyed them. We placed them in our Mixed Snow/All Mountain category since the Theory isn't a pure Park and Pipe Ski.

Atomic builds as great ski and and knows it way around twin tips too, they press Armada skis.
I personally have no use for a twin tip but enjoyed the way it skied the whole mountain albeit we were at Okemo.

Theory.jpg

I'll second this. I demoed them at WA last spring. They were one of my favorites of the day. Very light and nimble yet pretty stiff. It was in crud conditions, so i can't speak well to the hard snow edge grip. But it would def be a good one quiver ski. I bet Wachusett will have it to demo once the snow flies.

skidmarks

I'll second this. I demoed them at WA last spring. They were one of my favorites of the day. Very light and nimble yet pretty stiff. It was in crud conditions, so i can't speak well to the hard snow edge grip. But it would def be a good one quiver ski. I bet Wachusett will have it to demo once the snow flies.

Yes Banging Ski, we skied the full range too!

Hawkshot99

Theory.jpg

Ill agree with this recommendation. They were very surprising to me as I had not previously liked Atomic's twins. They had good hold on hard pack. They have a vertical sidewall under the foot.

Skidmarks....Were you at Okemo the day before On-Snow at Stratton, with, Atomic, Rossi, Blizzard, and Fischer? If so it would have been nice to meet you.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
+1 on the S3's which are now my daily drivers, heres my post from another ski shopping thread. Unchanged from '11 to '12

Thanks, will take a look at those too.

Really excited, hope to pick something up in the next 4 - 6 weeks or so. So I can stand on them in my basement :lol:

darent

may I suggest the blizzard bushwacker{ 90 underfoot} and the line prophet 90 or 100 also a great ski for a good price is the elan spire{98mm underfoot} I have the elan 999, my first wide ski. took a little getting use to ,but the more I skied it the more I like it. nice light ski.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ill agree with this recommendation. They were very surprising to me as I had not previously liked Atomic's twins. They had good hold on hard pack. They have a vertical sidewall under the foot.

Skidmarks....Were you at Okemo the day before On-Snow at Stratton, with, Atomic, Rossi, Blizzard, and Fischer? If so it would have been nice to meet you.

Dig the 9/11 avatar. :flag::flag:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
What's the general benefit to going wider underfoot?

Obviously better in the powder, more stable, ski over crud much easier, list goes on. Used to be where a ski this wide underfoot was considered to be mostly a big mountain powder ski. However, in the day and age with the bigger side cuts, they've turned into all mountain skis. With every ski I've purchased I've gone wider and wider, now wouldn't want to touch anything under 98

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

Andy explained it very well. My everday ski is a K2 Appache outlaw that is 90 underfoot. I ski most of my days in PA, where the snow is often harder than I'd like it to be.

my newest ski is the watea 114, which I am going to mount Marker Dukes on so that I can do some back country lines in the Laurel Highlands with my buddies.

many have mentioned the watea 84 and that'd probably be a good ski for you "to get wider" with!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It can't be all positive though rigth? You must sacrifice something to go wider underfoot?
Fat is great. But yes, you can't be as quick edge to edge. A lot of folks will suggest otherwise. They are just plain wrong. I still rock a 79mm ski in my quiver. You don't see bump skiers and racers rocking fat skis yet for a reason. Skinny skis still have their place. But for a one ski quiver, high 80s should do you just fine.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fat is great. But yes, you can't be as quick edge to edge. A lot of folks will suggest otherwise. They are just plain wrong. I still rock a 79mm ski in my quiver. You don't see bump skiers and racers rocking fat skis yet for a reason. Skinny skis still have their place. But for a one ski quiver, high 80s should do you just fine.

+1

gmcunni

i'm far from a gear head but believe you will find that different manufacturer's skis will perform differently. i demo'd a pair of Kastle FX94s. i normal ski Noridca in an 84 and on the groomed conditions i skied that day the Kastle felt quicker edge to edge.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Demo a pair of Nordica Enforcers, 98 underfoot, and see what the edge to edge response is like, they'll shock you. Not only do skis vary from manufacturer to manufacturer obviously same hold true model to model. I also have the Nordica Jet Fuels, 86 underfoot, great ski. However it's stiffer and not as versatile as the Enforcers.