• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggestions please for skis

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Need some help and guidance.

I can afford a single pair of skis this year - my budget is probably up to ~$600 max.

I'm replacing my Atomic Beta Ride 9.22's which have seen their fair share of days.

What I'm looking for and how I ski:

I like something all-mountain, I tend to do it all. I probably spend less time on groomers than I do in glades and on moguls. I occasionally hit the terrain park, so something I could actually attempt a 360 in would be good. e.g. at the AZ summit I spent the majority of my time in Brackett's Basin, and hit that smaller terrain park on the runout ... forget the name of the trail now. Also spent time on the moguls there.

Basically covering a lot of area :)

I like going "off the beaten path" a lot. Would also like to do some off-piste (like Tucks) next Spring.

So.... something versatile. I realize that wanting a set of skis that performs OK everywhere means they won't be GREAT anywhere, but them's the breaks. I will make do and I'm sure no matter what I end up with it will be leaps and bounds beyond my Atomics.

Suggestions welcome! I have some brand affinity for Atomics simply because I loved mine for so long, but I'm open to just about anything. :grin:

WWF-VT

I'd suggest taking a look at last years Fischer Watea 84 there are some good closeout sales and bargains on the web for this ski.

"A versatile all mountain machine, the Watea 84 is a great choice for one quiver skiers who want one pair to ski the entire mountain well. Solid edge grip and stiffness for hard pack while being buttery smooth through trees and tight spots, Fischer has done an excellent job in designing this ski."

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not sure I'd want to be doing 360's on a Watea. But what do I know...

You're asking for a lot out of one ski. Why don't keep your current skis for the park rat in you and get the Watea for everything else?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My present skis suck in the park. I make e'm work.

Honeslty I haven't done a 360 in a long time but it's a goal of mine this year. I get very intimidated coming up to the lip.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I liked the Nordica Enforcers when I demoed them...the traditional camber version. Might be a good one to demo.

I ski on Heads, but they just completely redid their lineup and most of their skis are either (a) best for west coast bowl skiing, or (b) for hard pack.

Wateas are good.

In general, you want something a little more forgiving and that will turn quickly in the woods and bumps yet have some float.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And the best time to buy is right about now. Ski swaps are good and tent sales are too, but the closer we get to the season, the less selection of holdovers there will be and the prices will creep back up. I'd say look for a 2009 or 2010 ski.

These guys have some good skis and good prices, but honestly they are getting a little bit picked over now. That said, here are some options:

http://www.levelninesports.com/Fischer-2011-Watea-98-Bc-Tt-Powder-Skis

Another option: http://www.levelninesports.com/2011-Head-Cherry-Kiwi-80-Twin-Tip-Skis

But I can't stress the importance of demoing skis. If you can wait, demo before you buy!

hrstrat57

Volkl Bridge

The new Alpine ski in Warwick was dealin huge on em a couple months ago.....

I think the watea is a decent call too......

deadheadskier

Staff member
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=98278

got these for very similar purposes that you're looking for, minus the park and a bit more hard snow performance as we see so much of it in the east.

check out the link to review on epicski for a more details. I did not demo the skis, but I'm pretty confident I'm going to love them.

in your price range as well.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Any thoughts on these Atomic Blackeye Ti?

http://www.winter-sports.com/EN/Skitests/skitestsmodeles.php?anneetest=2010&id=158

The Blackeye has been Atomic's choice for our "versatile freeride ski" (70% piste/30% off-piste) for a number of years. The titanium-reinforced 2010 version cut a fine figure and got a 'special mention' from our reviewers. They were impressed by its design, its versatility and the overall level of performance. The Blackeye Ti is great for athletic skiers looking for an all-round ski that performs well on all types of snow and all terrains. It is suitable for all levels from the intermediary skier to the expert.

err... although i just realized they are a couple hundred over my budget :roll:

wa-loaf

Hit up the Wachusett Labor Day weekend sale. Even if you don't buy anything you can check some of the stuff out in person and talk to the sales people about the skis. It's just a sale and they bring in other dealers as well as moving old stock from the shop.

Their swap is over Columbus day weekend.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hit up the Wachusett Labor Day weekend sale. Even if you don't buy anything you can check some of the stuff out in person and talk to the sales people about the skis. It's just a sale and they bring in other dealers as well as moving old stock from the shop.

Their swap is over Columbus day weekend.

Thanks, that's a great tip

speden

I demoed some of those last season. They had good edge grip and fairly good quickness as best I can remember. They seemed best for shorter radius turns on groomers. I didn't think they'd work too well in deeper snow or crud, so I'd say they are pretty one dimensional.

I much preferred the Atomic Crimson Ti, which is what I ended up buying. It's wider underfoot, so has better float than the Blackeye, and I'd say better crud busting. Feels a lot more stable at speed too with no twitchiness, yet has great edge grip when you want it. You do give up something in quickness though so probably not that great for bumps. I liked it in a shorter length than would be normal for my height. I felt I got back some maneuverability that way while still getting the benefits of a wider base. Demoing was key for me to finding the right length and 5cm shorter than I expected to like made all the difference in the world.

The Crimson's have a little early rise in the tip. The advantage of this in my view is very smooth turn initiation, and improved crud performance.

Wachusett stocks both of these skis in their demo center. When in doubt, demo, demo, demo. :)

Terry

I would seriously look at the line prophet series. I ski on the 100's all winter and love them for just about everything.Fun carvers on everything but boilerplate, awesome in the powder and crud. Adequate in the bumps and very manuverable in the trees. Spring skiing is a blast as you float over the slush and mashed potatoes. If you keep them well tuned they are great on just about anything. When I wear out my current pair, I will def get another.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I liked the Nordica Enforcers when I demoed them...the traditional camber version. Might be a good one to demo.

Gotta go with the boss on this one, Have these skis, love them. It's unbelieavable how a ski with these dimensions is so versatile. 98 under foot, yet has something like an 18 m tr. The spring action on turns is fantastic. And being that they are so fat, great for the powder days.

I would seriously look at the line prophet series. I ski on the 100's all winter and love them for just about everything.Fun carvers on everything but boilerplate, awesome in the powder and crud. Adequate in the bumps and very manuverable in the trees. Spring skiing is a blast as you float over the slush and mashed potatoes. If you keep them well tuned they are great on just about anything. When I wear out my current pair, I will def get another.

Have heard nothing but good things about these skis, nice on the eyes, lot of flex. Seem to be similar to Enforcers in terms of performance. I've run into folks skiin on these and asked how they like them, of course everyone says they like their skis, but in this case people just rave.

Never skied them, but my friend has them, seems like a pretty stiff ski. Not wide enough for my liking. Lately fat is the way to go. Wouldn't want anything under 98 underfoot

Puck it

Gotta go with the boss on this one, Have these skis, love them. It's unbelieavable how a ski with these dimensions is so versatile. 98 under foot, yet has something like an 18 m tr. The spring action on turns is fantastic. And being that they are so fat, great for the powder days.

Never skied them, but my friend has them, seems like a pretty stiff ski. Not wide enough for my liking. Lately fat is the way to go. Wouldn't want anything under 98 underfoot

You have that covered with the waist line. Couldn't resist.