• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggestions please for skis

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Yes, you can.

Blanket statements like this are nonsense. What's a great ski to someone can be utter rubbish to someone else. People have different preferences for responsiveness, flex, weight, etc.

I do push the Nordica Enforcers cause I love the ski, but you are 100% on the money.... But you know what, at the same time, it is a thread asking for suggestions :)

Riverskier

Nick- Demo if you can, but otherwise just pick a ski that is in your price range, and is designed for the type of skiing you do. I swear some people are as into their gear as they are skiing itself.

mishka

Nick

if you want to "demo" watea94 welcome to try mine sometimes. I installed griffon demo's on them

Cannonball

Yes, you can.

Blanket statements like this are nonsense. What's a great ski to someone can be utter rubbish to someone else. People have different preferences for responsiveness, flex, weight, etc.

100% agree. Except in this case I have never heard a single negative comment about this ski. I would consider this the most highly rated ski I've ever heard of. So if you're trying to help advise/help someone why not point them towards winner instead of just complicating their choice with over-analysis of fine points and subjective criteria?

skiahman

Looking to replace my AC3 Unlimiteds 170's this season. I've loved this ski like no other for ripping groomers at ridiculous speeds but I love to go all over the mountain and at times they can be ponderous---short turns, in the trees. I want to take the incredible edge hold and the high speed stability and add quick short turns on and off piste. I'm 53 years old, 5'9, 175lbs and an advanced intermediate-expert skier. Ski mostly at Sugarloaf roughly 45 days a season and am looking at the same ski (2011 AC30 Unlimited--tight on cash so the RTM is out of the question for now) in a 170 and also a Fischer Motive 76 or 80. I found a Motive 80 at 161cm but am wondering if that might be too short. I'm also wondering if I should go up to the 80, my AC3's are 76's. Any thoughts or opinions regarding length and waist and the Fischer Motives are appreciated.....yeah, yeah, I know, DEMO DEMO DEMO is the way to go but I don't see the opportunity arising anytime soon for me and I don't want to dillydally and miss out on a couple of good finds in used or last year model deals that I have found. Thanks for any input

40Berg

Looking to take advantage of some late-season deals, and this thread mentions the three skis I'm considering: the S3's, Volkl Bridge and Prophet 90s.

I've only demoed the S3's - and really enjoyed them on three Utah powder days - but haven't been able to get my hands on the other two. I was all set to make a bad decision and pull the trigger today, but would love to get some first-hand feedback on their performance, or lack thereof, in the East.

My goal is to get a pair of skis that can transition from East to West so I can eliminate rentals in the future, while upgrading my skiing experience locally (I'll still have a pair of a 70mm waist for those icy/hardpack days). Does anyone have experience on each of the three skis to compare?

(About me: Intermediate teetering on the Advanced label. Shooting for 10 days in the East and 5 days out West per season. 50/50 groomed/ungroomed split. Still a beginner in the trees and bumps.)

WWF-VT

Looking to take advantage of some late-season deals, and this thread mentions the three skis I'm considering: the S3's, Volkl Bridge and Prophet 90s.

I've only demoed the S3's - and really enjoyed them on three Utah powder days - but haven't been able to get my hands on the other two. I was all set to make a bad decision and pull the trigger today, but would love to get some first-hand feedback on their performance, or lack thereof, in the East.

My goal is to get a pair of skis that can transition from East to West so I can eliminate rentals in the future, while upgrading my skiing experience locally (I'll still have a pair of a 70mm waist for those icy/hardpack days). Does anyone have experience on each of the three skis to compare?

(About me: Intermediate teetering on the Advanced label. Shooting for 10 days in the East and 5 days out West per season. 50/50 groomed/ungroomed split. Still a beginner in the trees and bumps.)

I am not sure if you pulled the trigger on this purchase. FWIW I demo'd both the Volkl Bridge and Prophet 90's and purchased the Volkl's. I ski 40+ days a year all over the mountain at Sugarbush. The Bridge just felt like a better built ski and handled a mix of hardpack, bumps and soft snow better than the Prophet. You can find this year's Vollk Bridge with bindings for around $600 which is a great value for that caliber of a ski.