• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont Ste Anne & Le Massif 2/17 - 2/19/12

crank

This was our third trip to the Quebec area hills and we will definitely be going back many times in the future.

First, it looked like winter. There was a good 4 feet of snow on the ground everywhere. I had been noticing that it had been staying under freezing there throughout most of our recent thaw/freeze cycles. That helped a lot. We got 3-4" of new snow Thursday night and during the day Friday which was a perfect densest, but not gloppy consistency that skied really well. In the glades we found some fresh lines and the snow there was deep and not crusted at all. My skis released at one point and I sank in past my waist. Ski poles easily went all the way into the snowpack.

Ste Anne2/17

snowing, patchy fog and great conditions everywhere. Temps were just under freezing. We had driven through a mixed bag of precip in the states but it was all snow up there The crepe tent by the gondola is, sadly, no longer there. Ste Anne has a rally good, fast, modern lift system and we got a lot of mileage in. Skied everything from groomers to bumps to glades and all were in great shape.

Le Massif 2/18

Sun and clouds, temps in mid to upper 20's. Groomers were smoother and faster than at Ste Anne. Also, this was Saturday and Le Massif was the most crowded I we have ever skied it. Having said that though, The longest line we waited in was under 5 minutes and often we had no lines at all. SOme of the main touristy groomers were crowded and icy at choke points. Glades and bumps skied great. We hiked and skied the Le Massif backcountry after lunch. Said backcountry is about a mile hike through the woods and you come to 3 cut glades. The woods looked too thick to ski otherwise although there were 1 or 2 spots with a set of tracks heading off along the trail. We found the best snow of the trip here and were bouncing off pillows of snow...actual deep powder, not fresh, but nice and dry...well worth the hike. The back country run was our last of the day as we got to the gondola at the bottom a little before 4 and rode up to the lodge and parking lots at the top.

Looking towards resort from top of backcountry glade
IMG_1337.jpg

St. Lawrence must be 3+ miles wide here.
IMG_1327.jpg

On the backcountry trail. I stepped off the side and sank to my waist!
IMG_1334.jpg

Ste Anne 2/19

The best snow was on the west side and this was our first time there that the t bar that brings you back up from the west side was open. Groomers were faster but in good shape. Glades still in good shape but hard to find fresh. Lower down the sun mouse have warmed some areas because we hit pockets of chunky stuff in some of the glades. No major lines and only crowds on a few main runs. Amazing for a Sunday at an area so close to a city. It does not show in my pics but you could see Quebec from the mountain.

All the way on skier's right side top of Ste Anne
IMG_1346.jpg

The boys enjoying a treat at the trailside sugar shack with my skis taking a break in the background.
sugarshack-1.jpg

Last edited:

reefer

Sweet!

Snow looks real good up there! Hit those hills a couple years ago and loved them! Maybe time to go back................

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Looks really nice! I've never skied east coast Canada before. I should add it to my hit list ..... especially in down snow years like this one

Cheese

I knew it would hurt to see the pics from this trip. Ugh! Congrats on picking a great year to go where the snow is and thanks for the report. I seriously hate you right now, no lie!

gmcunni

great report, seems like much more snow up that way compared to what i saw in Eastern Townships. it hurts because i was supposed to be up there too but kid's school messed with the vacation schedule :(

crank

great report, seems like much more snow up that way compared to what i saw in Eastern Townships. it hurts because i was supposed to be up there too but kid's school messed with the vacation schedule :(

Take 'em next year...they'll love the sugar shack.

crank

Very nice. Did you manage to hit Burke on the way back?

I did not. Usually we hit Jay on the way back but this year I came down 87 to drop my nephew off in Plattsburgh and then crossed to VT on the ferry to drop my son at school in Burlington. If there had been a fresh dump I would have skied somewhere Monday, but just slept late, went shopping at the Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington and had lunch with a friend. I have skied every big mountain in VT except for Burke and I hope to get there soon.

steamboat1

It's been a few years since I was last up to QC but the difference in the amount of snow up there compared to New England is nothing unusual. I've been there about a 1/2 dozen times over the years. Being they are so far north they don't get the rain that New England often gets. It's not that they get more snow (actually they average less) it's just they don't get the rain. It's not elevation either since both St. Anne & Le Massif are practically at sea level being both are right next to the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Glad you had a good trip.