• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Eric Friedman of Mad River Glen

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Eric Friedman, Marketing Director at Mad River Glen, has agreed to participate in the 2012 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge!

The AlpineZone Challenge is your chance to offer up questions, suggestions or praise to the people who run the mountains in the northeast. For more information on the challenge itself, please see the stickied post at the top of the forum.

We will pick ten of the questions asked here and submit them for review and response, and post them in the Challenge area when complete!

Caveats: we may edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or something similar. Questions may be merged. If we don't get to all the questions, we will encourage followup from the representatives, but no promises.

Please be respectful as well to those answering questions - please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. as these may be confidential to the mountain.

Mad River Glen Profile

2011 AlpineZone Challenge Results
2007 AlpineZone Challenge Results
2006 AlpineZone Challenge Results
2005 AlpineZone Challenge Results
2004 AlpineZone Challenge Results

farlep99

With the low, albeit historically low, snow received last winter, are there any plans to increase snowmaking capacity at MRG?

steamboat1

No questions from me. Just like to say MRG should always be the way it is & has been since it's inception. I appreciate the cooperatives efforts to preserve the skiing experience that only MRG can afford.

boston_e

I did enjoy MRG the times I have visited. However I have not been in 10+ years. The reason? While I am primarily a skier, I have family members and friends who Snowboard and thus pretty much always have a snowboarder on the trip when we go. Short of opening up for snowboarders entirely, would you ever consider some select days through the winter where you would open for snowboarders. It might be something you could do mid-week that would actually act as a promotion and increase ticket sales etc for a few days through the winter that would otherwise be quite slow.

I will also add that while I am not a snowboarder, I also don't really think that any of the reasons for a snowboard ban are valid... but of course that is a debate for another day! :)

bdfreetuna

^
Good idea having at least some snowboard days.

Also, what are the plans for the new gondola to increase lift capacity. I've heard rumors of a 6 person gondola but I'd prefer to see a 4 person gondola to preserve the old school vibe of the mountain.

BenedictGomez

No questions from me. Just like to say MRG should always be the way it is & has been since it's inception. I appreciate the cooperatives efforts to preserve the skiing experience that only MRG can afford.

+1

haters_gonna_hate.gif

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm curious on how the new Sugarbush / MRG combined season pass this year is playing out. (http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-...-partnership-combined-season-passes-and-more/)

The statement during last year's challenge:

Mad River Glen and Sugarbush have never had pass reciprocity beyond the employees. It is something both sides have considered but the problem is that we simply have very different business models that make it very difficult for us to come together on some issues, pass reciprocity being chief among them. As many of you know when the skiing is good folks flock to MRG like pilgrims to a holy shrine. Sugarbush’s pass base is so much larger than ours we could never handle the influx on good days. I think we both think that it I hard to say “never say never” but a reciprocal pass program would be highly unlikely.

I guess never say never?!