• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2011 - 2012 Winter expected to have Extreme Weather

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://unofficialnetworks.com/winter-weather-forecast-20112012-extreme-winter-parts-31096/

Some snips:

US Long Range Winter Weather Forecast 2011-2012

We expect the Pacific Northwest region to experience a very severe winter and the Cascades snowpack is likely to see increased levels due to the negative (cold) phase of PDO. Our weather models are also showing an increased likelihood for major snow events in Northeastern and Midwestern parts of the US throughout December 2011 and January 2012, that could see severe blizzard conditions hit New York City and Chicago.

:fangun::fangun::fangun:

4aprice

I'll be elated if we get anything approaching this past winter. I've even got an excuse to go to Vermont this year. (daughter in college).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bvibert

Staff member
I'm not ready for Summer to end yet, but this is indeed good news (even if I'm not counting on it)...

k123

" The Northeast in General looks poised to repeat last year. With the exception of the Major cities, such as New York City and Boston. I expect them to have a more average season. Boston is still up in the air with me, as I still think they could be included in the cold and snowy range this year. Areas like Buffalo and Albany New York, should have a cold an snowy winter. Even Maine should get in on some of this action."

http://www.weatheradvance.com/winter-2011-2012-outlook-1st-edition

The 2nd edition should be coming out soon

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It sure does make one excited for the winter... I have a feeling this winter will be epic!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
It sure does make one excited for the winter... I have a feeling this winter will be epic!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

All winters are epic...some are just more epic than others.

Before reading these forecasts I've been thinking that this coming winter might put last winter to shame. The spring was so cool and now suddenly it has turned very hot. Since summer officially started it has been awfully hot. Past experience tells me that hot summers are often followed by cool autumns and snowy winters.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Heard that is the expected for Utah as well. Last season was 783 inches at Snowbird. They figure that the Pipeline will not melt out this summer. Snowbird has had to curtail summer operations because of the snowpack. Fingers crossed.

AdironRider

I stick to the simple question. Is there a La Nina (spanish for the nina)?

If the answer is yes, game on!

If the answer is no, well, just make the best of it.

4aprice

I stick to the simple question. Is there a La Nina (spanish for the nina)?

If the answer is yes, game on!

If the answer is no, well, just make the best of it.

From what I've read most experts expect a weak La Nina to neutral conditions this coming winter. I have also read some who believe we are headed for a colder regime the next several years. Hopefully game on.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ