• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sugarbush's Mount Ellen: $39 midweek ticket promo for January!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Saw a full page ad in a Vermont Ski Paper last week. Great deal. Monday-Thursday non-holiday is $39 for an adult ticket.

Wednesday nights they are serving $3 pints at the lodge as well IIRC.

Great deal and never a line!

13559_207738119666_744459666_3030471_7177709_n.jpg

n744459666_1404553_423.jpg

2790_65566374666_744459666_1634095_7276991_n.jpg

n744459666_1315808_4570.jpg

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Best value in the east. 39 trails serviced by high capacity, high speed lifts, and 2600' vert for $39. Pretty good deal, in my humble, shilling, opinion.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Awesome. I did the math this year and between my Friday trips to SB with the school and my MRG pass I thought it would make more sense to just buy day tickets to Sugarbush rather than a pass for other skiing days. I will definitely be taking advantage of this special. Now if only they'd extend it to the end of the year. ;)

long island boarder

what's in the works for Feb, do you think they will have this same deal? I will be there for the first week of the month.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Yo B - I'm there everyday. Just let me know when you want to take a few runs.

Long Island Boarder - Check PM

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm quite biased since I ski there pretty much exclusively now....

Last year I saved my money and skied enough to justify getting the full LP/ME pass. But I opted instead for the Plus Pass because if I had a choice I almost always turn off at "North" rather than drive the rest of German Flats.

When I was an impressionable teenager, Sugarbush had just revamped "Sugarbush North" with three new quads...including this thing called a "high speed quad." North was the place to be with all the snowmaking, early and late season skiing, and these new lifts. This was the first trail map I saw of the place...picked it up at a ski wear shop called Black Diamond that still makes stuff here in Vermont:

1993-1994.jpg

* Compliments of www.sugarbushhistory.com Check it out....

I also picked up this oversized magazine made by the mountain which showed these really awesome skiers named Dan Egan, John Egan, Doug Lewis, and Kelly Lewis. I drooled over pictures of what I now know are Paradise, Exterminator, and FIS. I was a 13 year old kid who was a nerd and skied on beat up Rossi skis at Burke. I was pretty much teaching myself at this point and skiing at Burke and this little volunteer run town hill known as the Lyndon Outing Club (which back in the day held Eastern and National ski competitions...back in the day when if you were a ski racer you had to do nordic, alpine, AND ski jumping). I saw that Sugarbush was "Where Great Skiers Ski." Well, then that would be the place for me.

I taped up that map to my wall and stared at it rather than do homework. I wondered what standing at the top of North really was like...and hoped that someday I might be able to ski FIS because it looked so bad ass:

2790_65566379666_744459666_1634096_75042_n.jpg

When you drive Route 2 west from Danville, you can see Sugarbush in Marshfield and Plainfield. FIS has snow on it into late May some years. It is very imposing.

Being from the NEK, I didn't really know where Sugarbush was, but I found it on a map and one day my Dad dragged the family along for a drive to Middlebury. I was more interested in staring out the window at "North" as we drove along Route 17 than talk to my siblings.

At some point I saw some Warren Miller clips showing the same mentioned celeb skiers riding up the original GMX and skiing some of the terrain.

My opportunity to ski Sugarbush finally came: a $25 promo in March. We were relegated to "North" or as it was known then as "Mount Ellen." I didn't care. I wanted to try it out.

Got my ticket and dragged my brother up the "snail" and onto North Ridge and to the top for my first glimpse of my all time favorite view:

n744459666_1533159_1389324.jpg

13559_210453004666_744459666_3042516_7442238_n.jpg

(I shot this on a stunning day in December 2002: )

sb15.jpg

We skied Rim Run and Elbow and then rode Slide Brook over to South...I will never forget my reaction as we came over the crest to see Lincoln Peak for the first time:

n744459666_1404569_4444.jpg

We skied Murphy's and other runs. But we came back to North later. I was hooked.

During my sophomore year in College I opted for the ASC All East Pass so that I could ski North. I felt that "North" seemed to connote cold and hard core conditions. That season, 2000-2001, I skied at Sunday River, Killington, Pico, Attitash, and Sugarbush. I compared everything to North. I cried when ASC closed North in late March. It was my place.

After a year away, I could not wait to return. This guy named Win Smith had gotten some folks together to buy the place and some of us were skeptical. But hell, he had the sense to reinstall the GMX and I went up and watched the progress during the fall of 2002:

sb14.jpg

I watched them splice the cable for that lift. A few weeks later I was one of the first on that lift. That was an awesome season there.

sb44.jpg

I skied there open to close. My college pass was good at both mountains, but I found that the crowds at Lincoln Peak made the lodges overwhelming and the trails skied off. I used to get on Slide Brook and ski at LP for a couple hours before realizing, "huh, the skiing is not as good here," and then ride back. I slowly stopped the "ride over bit" and stayed at Ellen.

Sorry for this novel...I don't know where it came from :wink: All I can say is that yesterday, on a prime Saturday, it was ski on and ski off the lifts all day. I had trails to myself. I had good snow. Yes, North is colder and windier, but it is a BIG mountain and the summit trail pod is probably my all time favorite area. Burke is where I learned to ski, but Sugarbush North is where I became a "great skier," at least I would hope....

So if this doesn't get you to want to at least try it, then I don't know what will.....

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Awesome stuff TrailBoss. :beer:

Thanks King M. I guess I wanted to do everything but work this morning since I can't ski due to a commitment.

Biggest thing I like about North is that like Burke on one run I can get in some bumps, groomed terrain, and woods. Variety is nice....

Last edited:

MommaBear

Thanks!

So if this doesn't get you to want to at least try it, then I don't know what will.....

Thanks for the heads up. The $39 ticket price caught my attention; your "novel" inspired the desire to actually get there!