• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mt recieves Act 250 Master Plan Approval

Masskier

FYI

Burke Mountain Receives Findings for Master Plan Application

08.26.2010 – For Immediate Release
August 26, 2010
East Burke, VT

Burke Mountain Receives Findings for Master Plan Application

Burke Mountain Ski Area received partial findings yesterday for their Act 250 Master Plan application, a detailed roadmap for future development at the resort. The findings are a culmination of several years of studies, assessments, and designs completed by Burke Mountain beginning in late 2005 which provide the State with an overview of the project and compliance with the environmental standards of the State of Vermont. The proposed project includes the development of up to; 1000 residential units, commercial space, 155 acres of additional ski terrain, 3 new ski lifts, snowmaking improvements, additional summer recreation facilities, and expanded infrastructure to support the project.

“We are still reviewing the findings, but our initial assessment is very positive. The (Act 250) Commission was provided with a significant amount of information for review and has used that information to provide Burke with full findings on a number of criteria and very clear guidance on what will be required from Burke in the future. The findings provided will take a significant amount of ambiguity out of what will be required for future construction applications and will result in a much quicker preparation and review period for the Mountain,” said Tim McGuire Vice President of the Resort.

Due to the broad scope of the project and the current market conditions, the Commission increased the duration of the findings from the standard five year time frame to ten years. Burke Mountain initially submitted the application in early November 2009 and has since been working with the Commission through numerous public hearings and correspondence. “This is the first all encompassing Master Plan process that Burke has completed in its 50+ year history, we cannot stress the importance of working through this significant undertaking” stated McGuire. “We look forward to using the findings provided to move forward with several projects that we have been working on in the very near future.”

Burke Mountain owns over 1740 acres of land and leases an additional 850+ acres from the State of Vermont located in East Burke.

For more information:

Hannah Collins
Marketing Manager
Burke Mountain Ski Area
802-626-7395
hcollins@skiburke.com

Masskier

I thought you were one of the investors? What do you think is going to happen first?

I am doing the Bear Path development, that is completely separate from the mountain and their master plan. I had heard that there may be an announcement this fall that would spell out when and what is going to be done. I know that they are in the process of getting a permit for a wind mill.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe I am being picky, but it says "partial findings" and not "approval." As much as I'd love to see it go through, I'm not sure it is quite there yet. FWIW other operations have had plans approved only to not act on them.

My reading is that the Board has reviewed the plan and thus far issued part of the factual findings it needs to hand down a decision. It is not an approval. If it was, you'd most likely have to wait for the appeal period to pass before trumpeting success.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
If they have the resources to not sink themselves, I think a summit HSQ should be the first order of business.

I know current skier density says such would be overkill, but most 500K condo buyers expect that kind of amenity these days. Smuggs is an exception. Smuggs also has a much larger local population than Burke to help drive revenue.

cannonist

Condos

I simply do not understand who will buy 1000 residential units. I would be very excited about the 155 acres of skiing terrain though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Summit HSQ is the next ski related improvement on the list...unfortunately it also needs some work on the terrain (i.e. more snowmaking, trail widening, etc). I know that their plans have changed once if not twice for the upper mountain.

tjf67

If they have the resources to not sink themselves, I think a summit HSQ should be the first order of business.

I know current skier density says such would be overkill, but most 500K condo buyers expect that kind of amenity these days. Smuggs is an exception. Smuggs also has a much larger local population than Burke to help drive revenue.

If they get the foreign investors like Jay is they should be all set. What a way to build your infrastructure. Burke and Jay if completed as planned are going to be the premier ski areas in the East.