• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1.8.11

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 1.8.11

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown

Conditions: Packed Pow with a few stashes on sides. Overcast, 30ish, no wind

Trip Report: Went to bed early last night with hopes of grabbing first chair and some rare CT pow at Sundown today. I didn't get first chair or a pow day but I had fun, as always.

Pulling into the parking lot it looked like they had groomed Gunny and the rest of the hill, I was a little disappointed. We arrived around 7:45, booted up and hopped on a chair about 8:05.

Gunny from the base
P1040439.JPG

I don't usually start early so riding up the chair and seeing the empty slopes was odd.
P1040441.JPG

They'd obviously gotten some snow and without any wind it just hung on the tree branches
P1040443.JPG

Took our first run down GB and enjoyed some untracked cord. After that we skied just about every trail that was open. Snow was great packed powder. The bumps were fun, they'd gotten what seemed like 2-3 inches over night based on the way the moguls were covered. Can't believe how well skied in the Exhibition bumps were.

We had the place to ourselves until 10 and then the people started showing up.

Saw Madroch in the lodge,caught a few glimpses of him ripping the bumps, and BVibert working.

Real good crowd when we left around noon. Main parking lot was just about full, i'm sure they were hitting the aux lot this afternoon.

bvibert

Staff member
Good to see you out there enjoying yourself! The conditions looked really nice, I wish I could have gotten out for some turns.

Madroch

Never made Friday night as snow was a little underwhelming until I was deep into a monopoly game with the kids. So, skied 8:30 to 11:30 today, while the kids were in programs. Lapped noreaster (zero diversity day), I thought early was quite good, a little scratchy at the end. Ex bumps are biggest I have seen there. Saw Brian at the lift, Greg doing admin work (????) when I dropped the kids and Gary and a buddy of his in the lodge. Good day. If I can't talk the kids into skiing tomorrow I will spend a couple of hours on noreaster again late morning. Anyone else around give a shout.

Madroch

Light snow falling-- seem to be on the western fringe.... may have to move up my Sun. arrival from late to early morning. A repeat of this am would be sweet indeed.

gmcunni

almost forgot to mention the surprise of the day.

get off lift 1, head down to the sundeck and made right to Canyon Run.. stopped at the merge, to check up hill before entering, and what did we see? Some guy coming down from the top of Canyon Run doing old school ballet... like from the 80s when freestyle skiing was air, bumps and BALLET!

he was doing spins and crossing his legs over, doing 180s and so on. we just sat there and watched in amazement, never seen that in person before. it was the oddest thing i've ever seen. saw him doing it again down next to the Exhibition. bumps.

guy's got skills, no doubt, but very weird to see it on the hill.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's pretty cool. I love the variety of people you get at Sundown... though I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing ballet.

Conditions were pretty good tonight. I was person #3 or 4 down Gunny after the groom and that fresh cord was nearly orgasmic. Busy, which is good for Sundown. Snow was coming down by 8PM but it didn't accumulate much. Pretty though.

bvibert

Staff member
almost forgot to mention the surprise of the day.

get off lift 1, head down to the sundeck and made right to Canyon Run.. stopped at the merge, to check up hill before entering, and what did we see? Some guy coming down from the top of Canyon Run doing old school ballet... like from the 80s when freestyle skiing was air, bumps and BALLET!

he was doing spins and crossing his legs over, doing 180s and so on. we just sat there and watched in amazement, never seen that in person before. it was the oddest thing i've ever seen. saw him doing it again down next to the Exhibition. bumps.

guy's got skills, no doubt, but very weird to see it on the hill.

Was he on orange Olin's?

gmcunni

Was he on orange Olin's?

no, from a distance he looked to be on newer skis.. red was all i could tell. i think i've seen orange olins many times on a different guy (seaosn pass holder with a beard and usually skiing in jeans), pretty good skier from what i recall seeing.