• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help me predict conditions this weekend

Breakout12

I’d really appreciate the opinions of those with experience. We’ve been pretty cold recently, but the weather is going to change dramatically for the weekend. I want to go to a local area for night skiing on Sunday night, but I have no idea what to expect with the coming warm up. Here is the forecast for the ski area, in C and F. The conditions are currently pretty good, with packed powder. Based on this forecast, what kind of conditions would you predict for Sunday night? Do you think it will deteriorate too badly?

Celsius
Thurs: -7
Fri:
Day: 2 (feels like -2) Night: 0
Sat:
Day: 8 (feels like 4) Night: 1
Sun:
Day: 4 (feels like -1) Night: -4

Fahrenheit
Thurs: 19
Fri:
Day: 36 (feels like 28) Night: 32
Sat:
Day: 46 (feels like 39) Night: 34
Sun:
Day: 39 (feels like 30) Night: 25

Thanks y’all!

Edit: I have no idea why I get a smiley face instead of an 8

Breakout12

So, the message I'm getting is that the conditions will be skiable and enjoyable. I didn't know if that kind of warm up would be sufficient to ruin it and make it too wet and sloppy.

Thanks

cdskier

So, the message I'm getting is that the conditions will be skiable and enjoyable. I didn't know if that kind of warm up would be sufficient to ruin it and make it too wet and sloppy.

Where exactly are you skiing?

I don't know if I've ever really skied anything that was "too wet and sloppy" and I've skied in temps as warm as 80...

Breakout12

Blue Mountain, Ontario.

I've skied some slop before, like skiing in a Slurpee. No good. I was just curious how fast conditions might deteriorate with the warm up.

Breakout12

Yeah. I guess I'm just panicking, because we've had the typical thaws, and they seem to always hit on or right before a weekend, never at the beginning of a week when there is time to recover.

cdskier

If it was a thaw/freeze scenario, I'd be concerned. With just a mild thaw scenario (and no unfrozen precip falling from the sky), I wouldn't worry about needing recovery time. Depending on how quickly temps drop Sunday night it might be just starting to firm up a bit at the time you go.

Breakout12

If it was a thaw/freeze scenario, I'd be concerned. With just a mild thaw scenario (and no unfrozen precip falling from the sky), I wouldn't worry about needing recovery time. Depending on how quickly temps drop Sunday night it might be just starting to firm up a bit at the time you go.

This is what I've been looking for! Thanks. I'm also taking note of the "busy" answers. Last Saturday was very mild, and it was indeed busier than usual.

SkiingInABlueDream

I agree with predictions of business.
Pick your poison - place with high lift capacity but crowded trails but maybe avoid long waits, or smugglers madgic river notch and spend most of the day standing in line but less traffic on the snow...

BenedictGomez

The traffic on 87 (aka the ski road in winter) is horrendous tonight, so yeah, places will be packed. Every other vehicle has a Thule, Yakima, or knock-off ski rack

cdskier

The traffic on 87 (aka the ski road in winter) is horrendous tonight, so yeah, places will be packed. Every other vehicle has a Thule, Yakima, or knock-off ski rack

Can't say I'm surprised. I'd love to be in VT this weekend but I just can't deal with those crowds. Oh well.