• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Open Season for Airlines

hammer

If Spirit is anything like Ryanair, I'd be OK with it for short flights (about 1-1.5 hours). Anything longer and I'd like to have something better than school bus seats, flight attendants pushing scratch tickets, and subpar onboard climate control systems.

snoseek

Believe it or not I've somehow avoided flying on an airplane since 2011. That's probably going to change in the fall and I plan on flying slc to boston or Manchester for a couple weeks. What airlines are not completely miserable these days? Southwest? JetBlue? Should I just have a stiff drink and a dose of zzzquil and pass out?

benski

Believe it or not I've somehow avoided flying on an airplane since 2011. That's probably going to change in the fall and I plan on flying slc to boston or Manchester for a couple weeks. What airlines are not completely miserable these days? Southwest? JetBlue? Should I just have a stiff drink and a dose of zzzquil and pass out?

Its hard to blame them when you look at kayak. On those websites its like nothing matters except price per ticket. You can't even get clear information about baggage fees. The airline experience is a reflection of how those sites suggest flights.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Southwest has a pretty decent run between SLC-->MDW-->MHT that I do routinely. It's not too bad. Only gripe is the return is pretty late.

Edd

They blend for me somewhat so I'm not brand loyal. I try to go for direct flights with decent times, which isn't always possible. Jet Blue and Southwest staff are more casual in their customer interactions, IMO. Southwest seating procedures stand apart from the rest. It's always worth it to pony up a few extra bucks to get in the early group.

snoseek

It sounds like southwest may be the ticket then....

thetrailboss

Staff member
They blend for me somewhat so I'm not brand loyal. I try to go for direct flights with decent times, which isn't always possible. Jet Blue and Southwest staff are more casual in their customer interactions, IMO. Southwest seating procedures stand apart from the rest. It's always worth it to pony up a few extra bucks to get in the early group.

Agreed. Pay the $15 for early bird.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimk

Southwest just had a decent three day sale for flights up to mid-Dec, but from where I live, DC area, I didn't see very good rates to SLC. Got a good deal for late fall trip to south Florida though, $138 rdtrp. Delta is ok and I use them sometimes to SLC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now that is unreal. I cannot believe that a flight attendant would look at two boarding passes with the same seat and not address the issue. WTF.

I think it shows that United has a work culture issue. Employees don't feel empowered to resolve issues or take ownership of a problem.

hammer

Sorry but the standby passenger should have been told to leave. He was a total @$$hole for staying as well.

Jully

Sorry but the standby passenger should have been told to leave. He was a total @$$hole for staying as well.

That is one of the most confusing pieces IMO. Flying standby usually means you are somehow related or affiliated with the airline, right? Especially when it is a toddler... like come on...

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah this is one of the worst examples I'm aware of.

I don't blame her for pursuing further compensation.

JimG.

Staff member
I really have no desire to ever fly in a commercial airplane again. There is nowhere I need to go so badly that I would subject myself to the behaviors of airline employees or passengers. That said, good on the flight attendants for beating and hog tying this asshole.

I'll drive/train it thanks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I really have no desire to ever fly in a commercial airplane again. There is nowhere I need to go so badly that I would subject myself to the behaviors of airline employees or passengers. That said, good on the flight attendants for beating and hog tying this asshole.

I'll drive/train it thanks.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately my folks retired to Florida several years ago, so I head down about once every other year. If I had more free time, I'd just drive for my visits. I've also had to fly for work related purposes about a half dozen times a year in recent years. My dislike for air travel is a big part of the reason why I haven't made much of an effort to head back out west to ski in the past 15 years.

That's the great part of living in New England or NY for that matter. You really don't have to fly anywhere to experience most all of what you could ever want to do except for experiencing international culture. Canada offers that experience some, but it's still America. Mountains, lakes, remote rivers, ocean beaches, great big or small cities; it's all right here within a few hours drive away.