• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIKSKIER

Cannon report.Horrible drive up 93 in the rain but it was the thick fog that really sucked.Rained pretty bad friday night but it was suppossed to change over around midnight.I got woken up around 4 am with rain pounding on my roof.Ughhh.I got up at 7:30 and at least it was white out there but I figured it was going to suck,especially since the report said delayed opening.I blew it off.About 4 a few friends came over and said it was actually pretty good.Ya right I said.I decided to try it out Sunday morning under that big blue sky.Wow!It was damn good.High speed firm and fast but very edgable and I like that stuff anyway.We ended up getting only about 4 inches but it made all the difference.Very surprized at what turned out to be a real good ski weekend.

SIKSKIER

So I never checked other areas after this last event to see how they got through it.Any storm totals for the N Vermont areas that were supposed to do well?

urungus

Another thing I give Windham credit for is their "snow guarantee". They will give you an hour to check out the conditions and if you're not happy they will give you a gift card credit if you are unhappy. My wife took them up on that and said it was hassle free. I wish more mountains would do that. My kids and I will go out and enjoy most conditions. My wife is more picky and it would be easier to convince her to join us on sketchy days if she knew she had the option to turn in her ticket for a credit.

Mt Snow, Stratton and Okemo all have a similar 1 hour guarantee, I am sure there are others

The Sneak

So uh, will 6 or 8" of snow do anything significant to improve conditions at say, Berkshire East or Wachusett? Thinking about going up Saturday but dreading the ice underneath.

Bostonian

Like The Sneak, trying to debate where to go - but on Thursday. I haven't been out since December (which sucks) - but I will ski somewhere (Snow? Gunstock?). Any intel on how bad things are after the nasty #@!^ that we had?

tnt1234

I don't have any new intel, but I altered my thursday/friday plans from 2 days at magic to a half day at hunter and a day at snow based on reports that all natural snow trails are dead and buried.

Not pre-buying anything for friday on the off chance that Berkshire East gets dumped on and would be fun. I've never been, but I get the sense that it's a little more fun than Snow for trees, steeps and natural trails. But they would need like 8-12" I'm thinking just based on reports.

Just back from 4 days at Jay (skied 3, blew off Friday) and I can say that although they only ended up w about 5-6 inches on the backside of the storm, it skied pretty great all things considered. Most woods were in play and very good coverage. A couple of the main trails were barren, but still lots to ski so if you're on the fence, I'd say GO!

It was brutally cold, but weather is moderating and a bit more natural in the forecast.
IMG_7450.jpg

fbrissette

Just back from 4 days at Jay (skied 3, blew off Friday) and I can say that although they only ended up w about 5-6 inches on the backside of the storm, it skied pretty great all things considered. Most woods were in play and very good coverage. A couple of the main trails were barren, but still lots to ski so if you're on the fence, I'd say GO!

It was brutally cold, but weather is moderating and a bit more natural in the forecast.

You are a very positive guy. Personally, I thought that Sunday afternoon was the worst skiing I have experienced at Jay Peak in 300+ ski days there.

VTKilarney

From the Eye on the Sky folks. Not much love for northern Vermont, but at least somebody is getting some decent snow.

Snow.jpg

Smellytele

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

I'm guessing it's his 300+ days at Jay vs. my 3, first time there days. Considering what we drove up through on Friday I was expecting either 12-18 inches as per some forecasts or just a couple of inches per other forecasts. The 5-6 inches of fresh weren't enough to undo the carnage of Friday's rain, but thank God we got what we did, otherwise it would've been a total waste.

In my 50 years of skiing, I've skied a lot of crappy days, but usually find something positive about any day on the mountain.

tnt1234

Huh. If those maps are right, I might be heading to Magic after all....

MommaBear

Sitting at the ready in West Dover! I have managed to miss all the good stuff so far this season. May tomorrow break that cycle.

tnt1234

Weird storm. Snow to the west and north....NJ in a pocket of nothing.

WJenness

Like The Sneak, trying to debate where to go - but on Thursday. I haven't been out since December (which sucks) - but I will ski somewhere (Snow? Gunstock?). Any intel on how bad things are after the nasty #@!^ that we had?

I was at Gunstock on Sunday. It was brutal. And they haven't made any snow since (from what I can tell on the snow report).

Details in trip report linked in signature.

-w

Status
Not open for further replies.