• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Olympic Womens Mogul Skiing

urungus

You might be correct on that. If you find full replays please let us know.

I am streaming a full replay of the men’s moguls finals as I write this. On my Roku, iPhone, and iPad I can see full event replays using the NBC Sports app (requires cable or satellite subscription).
Here are a couple screenshots:

Roku output on TV:
CCC4BA54-ED10-4226-95A9-D57BFB008D0B.jpg

iPhone:
102EE99F-EF05-47D9-B372-C9D625C458EA.jpg

Jcb890

I give less than a single shit -- the minimum requirement -- to watch North Korea attempt to propagandize the Olympics and watch NBC swallow it like a load of............

Anyway, I couldn't name a single famous male alpine skier these days. I know several of the women; I guess that's fun to watch too. But back in the old days the main event was whoever could ski the fastest. Guess it ain't nowadays, we gotta make everything gender equal to the point you never heard of the men.

What can I say, I'm a simple man. I watched some dude from China qualify for the Olympics doing multiple quadruple back to back jumps. Now I hear today it's the first time a woman did a triple jump. I could give a shit what gender people are I just want to see high level sports.

I'm hoping that rant qualifies for some spicey responses.
Pyeongchang is in South Korea.

I'm not sure what propaganda has been spread by the Olympics or what you're ranting about there. The only time(s) I have heard NK mentioned at all is that there is a group (maybe a couple groups?) of cheerleaders from the NK who are there sharing in the enjoyment of the sport being close enough to home to show their support. At least, that's what I gathered from that. We flipped back and forth between NBC and NBC Sports last night for a good 2-3 hours yesterday... any propaganda you're picking up, I'm not.

I don't care about any of the names for skiing, I don't care really about the names for snowboarding either. I don't really know the names, but I don't really follow the sports that closely either. Well, we all (or mostly) know Shiffrin, Shaun White, Mark McMorris, etc. Still, I want to see some of the best in these sports compete and I can appreciate that. I'm not sure what gender equality you're going on about. The only mixed event they have is curling, and even still, there is both a men's and women's bracket as well with the "mixed" events being for the men and women who basically didn't qualify for their gender-specific events.

Men and women are able to do different things - period. The men are going faster in speed competitions, doing bigger jumps and tricks in other competitions... again, not sure where you're headed there. There has pretty much always been men's divisions/sports and women's in the Olympics... well, since 1900 when women were allowed to participate. You could combine the men and women into the same competition, but what's the point in that? As an example, the top 2-3 female slopestyle snowboarders wouldn't even finish in the top-20 if they had to go up against the men.

bdfreetuna

Fairly spicey for response #1.

I don't think I'm going to dig in on this one. It's fun to stir it up, I've had a couple beers already today, I'd rather watch men in sports than ladies, you do the math. :lol:

Jcb890

Fairly spicey for response #1.

I don't think I'm going to dig in on this one. It's fun to stir it up, I've had a couple beers already today, I'd rather watch men in sports than ladies, you do the math. :lol:
I wasn't quite sure what you were getting at even, so it was tough to get too spicy with ya, haha :lol:
Fair enough though... I guess I have a similar analogy - it always annoyed me when I'd watch Sports Center and during basketball season a WNBA play would make the SC TOP10 simply because someone dunked.

The women's competitors in snowboarding when it started off were unbelievably far behind the men... guys were going 15'+ out of the pipe, doing double flips and landing 1080's while the women were barely leaving the walls of the pipe. Thankfully, it has gotten a lot better.

bdfreetuna

Womens skiing is one of the exceptions... women shred moguls, slalom, DH, all events really. It's acrobatics vs. strength and skiing is a sport where it balances out in unique ways.

It's not like football or MMA where it's really just a different sport.

But the way things are promoted today; I can tell you 4 women on the team off the top of my head and I know zero of the men who ski. I'm a casual observer, but that's a cultural reality as far as I can tell.

I'm glad for my 2 month old little girl in this day and age, she will certainly not be limited in any way. I expect she will be skiing on a high level !

Jcb890

Womens skiing is one of the exceptions... women shred moguls, slalom, DH, all events really. It's acrobatics vs. strength and skiing is a sport where it balances out in unique ways.

It's not like football or MMA where it's really just a different sport.

But the way things are promoted today; I can tell you 4 women on the team off the top of my head and I know zero of the men who ski. I'm a casual observer, but that's a cultural reality as far as I can tell.

I'm glad for my 2 month old little girl in this day and age, she will certainly not be limited in any way. I expect she will be skiing on a high level !
I was just shocked to see the women's times for Giant Slalom in 2014 were actually faster than the men!

Ligety won gold for the men with a combined time of 2:45.29.
Tina Maze won gold for the women with a combined time of 2:36.87.

No men ran under 1:20 while many women did.

bdfreetuna

TBH I'm not surprised. Women kill it in agility. Back in the day it was more reliant on strength to carve an edge in ice with straight skis. When I was racing it wasn't a gap of technique; it was all strength, power, momentum causing the overall better times for guys.

Tech has evolved to accommodate women's strengths -- much needed. And frankly the tech has also evolved to accommodate my own strengths in many ways. Equipment today is a lot more finesse oriented.

Pendulum swings are necessary correctments in many cases. It doesn't hurt that we seem to have stand out women skiers lately.

I'm sure the men will step it up if they want to stand out in the future.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was just shocked to see the women's times for Giant Slalom in 2014 were actually faster than the men!

Men have a longer and different course in Alpine race eventa

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed having the option in VT to watch CBC's coverage Saturday evening of the Men's Slopestyle Snowboard event.

I was in n.VT this weekend and did the same. Back in 1998/2002 I lived in Vermont, and I watched the Canuck channels probably 80% of the time over NBC. They actually show the sports, and more diversity of various sports, rather than just what they can promote and get high ratings from.

Ah, so you gotta be in the NBC Sports App? I don't have that.

No. All you have to have is a cable or satellite, etc... package, and then you can stream. Buy a Chromecast for $20 or $25 at Best Buy or whereever, and you can stream directly to your TV.

The first alpine skiing event is tonight at 9:30pm, and I'll be streaming it from my computer onto a 60" TV, and be able to see every athlete's run, rather than seeing the 3 Americans and a few other guys in between repeats upon repeats upon replays of figure skating coverage and faux-emotional "overcame hardships" stories.

Hawkshot99

Men and women run different coarse. Even if they use the same trail, slalom and Gs are re-set for every run. So even using the same start/finish there can be vast difference I time based on the # and location of gates, and snow speed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

I am streaming a full replay of the men’s moguls finals as I write this. On my Roku, iPhone, and iPad I can see full event replays using the NBC Sports app (requires cable or satellite subscription).

No. All you have to have is a cable or satellite, etc... package, and then you can stream. Buy a Chromecast for $20 or $25 at Best Buy or whereever, and you can stream directly to your TV.

The first alpine skiing event is tonight at 9:30pm, and I'll be streaming it from my computer onto a 60" TV, and be able to see every athlete's run, rather than seeing the 3 Americans and a few other guys in between repeats upon repeats upon replays of figure skating coverage and faux-emotional "overcame hardships" stories.
Got it working last night... it asked me to sign into my cable account, which I did, but I don't know if that was even necessary. I think that's for regular NBC shows perhaps? Anyways, logged in and found the full replays, though it isn't exactly easy to find.

My wife and I went back and re-watched the Men's Slopestyle competition. After watching the women's... just wow. Kind of disappointing that Jamie Anderson who won gold for the women probably wouldn't have finished top-20 in the men's contest. But, that's how it goes I guess. Some of the women (like Jamie) were pretty impressive.

Then we watched the women's half pipe finals, that was pretty fun. I knew Chloe Kim had won gold after her first run. She's doing stuff none of the other women can do. The men's competition was close, Red Gerard won, but I think Mark McMorris would have won had he landed his final run and there was a handful of other men competitors who could have won it - Max Parrot, Sebastian Toutant, Marcus Kleveland or Ståle Sandbech all had a shot. For the women, it was Chloe Kim and then a huge gap between her and the next-best.

DVR'd the rest of last night. I'll either re-watch that way or stream the Full Replays for Men's Combined and Men's Half Pipe. It will be interesting to see the gap between Chloe Kim and the men.

Men and women run different coarse. Even if they use the same trail, slalom and Gs are re-set for every run. So even using the same start/finish there can be vast difference I time based on the # and location of gates, and snow speed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
I had no idea. I guess that makes sense then why the women's times were faster. Either way, I'm looking forward to watching both the men's and women's downhill competitions.

WJenness

I don't think you should base your opinions on the women's slopestyle based on that competition.

The conditions were abhorrent because of the wind. No one could really throw down what they're capable of.

The competition should have been moved to another day.

-w

Jcb890

I don't think you should base your opinions on the women's slopestyle based on that competition.

The conditions were abhorrent because of the wind. No one could really throw down what they're capable of.

-w
I wasn't trying to say they were bad. Many of them were impressive. I knew it was coming, but I was still surprised to see the gap between the men and women, tricks they're doing, rails they're attempting, etc.

Agreed about the poor wind conditions. It also sucked they basically got rid of qualifying and did 2 finals runs instead of 3. So, I think that hampered some of what they were willing to go out and try.

WJenness

I wasn't trying to say they were bad. Many of them were impressive. I knew it was coming, but I was still surprised to see the gap between the men and women, tricks they're doing, rails they're attempting, etc.

Agreed about the poor wind conditions. It also sucked they basically got rid of qualifying and did 2 finals runs instead of 3. So, I think that hampered some of what they were willing to go out and try.

Oh, I wasn't implying you were saying they were bad... sorry if I gave that impression.

Yes, the women got absolutely hosed, the change in format because of the conditions plus the conditions meant that everyone was not able to show their true potential anywhere on that course.

It sucks for them to have worked so hard to get on that stage, and then not be able to show what they're actually capable of, through no fault of their own, and poor decisions of others.

-w

Hawk

So I have Xfinity X1 cable with the full DVR HD capability. We have been cycling through the menu of all the on demand events and have been watching everything we want and skipping what we want. You can also go into the future and record the events you want to see. I realize that having cable or even a TV is taboo amongst the millennial and frugal Yankees that inhabit this site but it sure beats the alternatives. Totally

BenedictGomez

It was ridiculous, and I think, political. My guess is, had literally every other ski event to that point not already been postponed, they would have postponed it, but the organizers probably didnt want to cancel yet another skiing even due to weather.

Reducing the event by 1/3, and then essentially having some women eliminated solely due to "wind" was ridiculous. Four years training for that? Reprehensible.

BenedictGomez

So I have Xfinity X1 cable with the full DVR HD capability. We have been cycling through the menu of all the on demand events and have been watching everything we want and skipping what we want.

Not a bad option, but I psychologically have some difficulty watching sports I know aren't live. I've gotten better at it the last handful of years, DVR'ing Eagles games when I hunt on Sunday, but somehow it lowers the excitement for me knowing the event is over. That's one of the reasons I love the Chomecast so much, just streaming the live event onto my television. Last night watching literally every run of the men's downhill and men's slalom for the combined was awesome. And since it's not technically a TV feed, I actually learned quite a bit during the "downtime" listening & watching coaches, skiers, start house officials, etc....