• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak 2/10/18

JimG.

Staff member
I have been meaning to try Greek and visit my western NY ski friends' home hill but wanted to wait for great conditions. Yesterday fit the bill.

Normally I drive by Greek to visit my son at Cornell. It doesn't look like much from the road. Maybe 900' vertical. But Greek is actually pretty spread out and there is a lot of good terrain there to explore. Cornhead acted as my guide and we skied pretty much every lift on the hill. We skied a variety of groomed terrain and natural snow trails and glades. 100% open yesterday.

I was impressed with the trees there mostly because there were a lot of trees to ski and several were challenging and pretty long. In addition, there were many steep pitches which skied great with the natural snowfall the past week. Early on the snow was still fluffy but it got wetter and thicker as the day progressed, still surfable though. Except for a short burst of light rain we were spared any wetness.

I had a great day. Enjoyed the lunch we had in the lodge. Met and skied with some interesting characters during a day well spent. At 2:45 each way not a bad drive either. I will be back.

kbird

Glad to hear you enjoyed our local mountain Jim! I hit GP Thursday after the dump and had a blast, about a foot of new snow there. The glades we hit were so much fun with all the snow.

I'm not sure what's going on with the MTB trails there, but it seems like management has turned them into dual purpose trails? If that's true, we have even more glades now than ever before which is very exciting to say the least.

My heart just about stopped when 'Fields started bumping up later in the day. It was the best natural fluffy moguls I've skied in a long time! Also, early in the evening I ran into the GP Ski Coach who was working on his 'Illiad' mini mogul run again this year. It was a little dark to really ski it at that point, but it will probably be there and maintained the rest of the season. I hope for more dumps like that this season, it makes GP a very enjoyable place to Ski.

Cornhead

Great skiing with you again Jim, glad you made it before the thaw and rain. It is a nice place to ski when fully open.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Rambo

Jim G and Cornhead at Greek Peak
GEDC4811.jpg

Was great skiing with Jim G and Professor Cornhead on Saturday at Greek. Did Olympian 4 times while it was still decent.