• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill Party: Winter Storm Riley 3-2-17 Roll Call

Abominable

I think asking anyone to write down CC numbers or take IOUs or something like that is a bit much.

The entire region is out of power, people with no heat, can't leave their driveways, etc. It's the woods. Keepin cash for emergencies is a rule.

Really smacks of a bit of entitlement to say they should have done more to accomodate when they really busted their ass. They had to let people go when it looked like the season was a loss. Then blammo, a gift from God! The owners kid is in the back flipping burgers and not out skiing with his buddies.

It was really the DIY "old school" friendly mountain thing we all always talk about and you're gonna give them a hard time for not running CCs?

My only complaint is that there could have been a little better communication. There were different lines and no one knew where to go; as a result there were all kinds of rumours travelling up and down the lines, etc.

But all in all they handled things just fine. The most agonizing bit was the wait at the bar around one o'clock.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I think asking anyone to write down CC numbers or take IOUs or something like that is a bit much.

The entire region is out of power, people with no heat, can't leave their driveways, etc. It's the woods. Keepin cash for emergencies is a rule.

Really smacks of a bit of entitlement to say they should have done more to accomodate when they really busted their ass. They had to let people go when it looked like the season was a loss. Then blammo, a gift from God! The owners kid is in the back flipping burgers and not out skiing with his buddies.

It was really the DIY "old school" friendly mountain thing we all always talk about and you're gonna give them a hard time for not running CCs?

My only complaint is that there could have been a little better communication. There were different lines and no one knew where to go; as a result there were all kinds of rumours travelling up and down the lines, etc.

But all in all they handled things just fine. The most agonizing bit was the wait at the bar around one o'clock.

I agree completely. You said that so much better than I did.

The Plattekill Bar is the one place in America where I can get a drink quick. Say hi next time, I'm buying.

BenedictGomez

You've never experienced this? I have, more than a few times.

I've also been on the "taking down the numbers" end of it. It's really not a big deal. At all.

Think about it this way - were it 1995, this would never have happened! (lightbulb goes off!) LOL People have just gotten so attached to "teh internetz" that they don't know what to do without technology. My guess is, now that they've gone through this and have had time to think, if this ever happens at Platty, they'll just jot down the card info and process later. It's really not complicated.

Abominable

You've never experienced this? I have, more than a few times.

I've also been on the "taking down the numbers" end of it. It's really not a big deal. At all.

Think about it this way - were it 1995, this would never have happened! (lightbulb goes off!) LOL People have just gotten so attached to "teh internetz" that they don't know what to do without technology. My guess is, now that they've gone through this and have had time to think, if this ever happens at Platty, they'll just jot down the card info and process later. It's really not complicated.

Maybe you're right. I've never run a retail business and haven't worked a cash register in a long time.... maybe it'd work.

But it'd be a hell of a lot more work after the fact, and a lot of mishaps with wrong number written down, workers comp claims for carpal tunnel, etc.

BenedictGomez

You have far more to worry electronically from the North Koreans, Turks, & Russians, etc... than a random Platty employee.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I saw some Good Samaritan pay for someone else's ticket and exchange addresses . But by the time I got to the window the word had spread about CC's . I really didn't see that many people leaving.

Scruffy

You guys never called in a CC number on the phone for purchase? Use to be standard procedure, and really not that long ago. What do you think the person on the other end of the phone did with that number? Wrote it down for later processing or entered it into a computer immediately, but either way they had it. Probably a lot more fraud now through hacking then when you phoned in a number.

SIKSKIER

You guys never called in a CC number on the phone for purchase? Use to be standard procedure, and really not that long ago. What do you think the person on the other end of the phone did with that number? Wrote it down for later processing or entered it into a computer immediately, but either way they had it. Probably a lot more fraud now through hacking then when you phoned in a number.
Actually bought my last 2 season passes over the phone as for some reason it wouldnt take my card online.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Still tons of great skiing at Plattekill. Today at 3pm:

plattekill-trees.jpg

4 days after Quinn, plus 6-8 of Lake Effect on Saturday