• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow wind for Thursday the 15th

Tdizz

What do you think? Weather says 30mph gusts. Every time I’ve been there it has been windy. Is it worth it to drive from the Hudson Valley if there’s a chance of lifts on wind hold?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tdizz

Is anyone really familiar with Mt Snow? Like, if the weather forecast says 30mph gusts, does that really mean 60?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Mention of NW winds with gusts up to 45, and possible wind holds....

My experience is that with a forecast like that, if it's somewhat close to accurate, you've got a 50/50 chance of some wind holds, which typically would involve main face summit lifts and often the Challenger lift, but maybe not the Outpost lift on the Northface. Sunbrook Quad could be an issue with that velocity and wind direction as well. Very slight chance that Canyon Quad would be effected based on that forecast.

If you want to eliminate the risk, go to Magic!

Tdizz

Mention of NW winds with gusts up to 45, and possible wind holds....

My experience is that with a forecast like that, if it's somewhat close to accurate, you've got a 50/50 chance of some wind holds, which typically would involve main face summit lifts and often the Challenger lift, but maybe not the Outpost lift on the Northface. Sunbrook Quad could be an issue with that velocity and wind direction as well. Very slight chance that Canyon Quad would be effected based on that forecast.

If you want to eliminate the risk, go to Magic!

Thank you. I have the Peak Pass but I don't have any problem driving to Magic if Snow is having issues. I'd be totally fine with the North Face. Really looking forward to riding some woods

prsboogie

Why wouldn't I have to be worried about wind at Magic? I've never been there.
Below tree top fixed grip lift that rarely shuts down for wind issues. Crazy good conditions right now too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gmcunni

even if there was no wind hold potential @ mt snow, if you've never been to Magic then tmorrow for $29 is a no-brainer.

slatham

High summit forecast for SoVT is 30-35 which shouldn't close lifts. That said I agree that regardless you should go to Magic. Why chance it, and why not ski the best terrain in SoVT?

bdfreetuna

I would also recommend going to Magic. Who knows I might try to trick my old man into going there tomorrow instead of Killington.

KustyTheKlown

mount snow doesnt even have enough pitch to ride all the snow. you'd get stuck because its a fuckin pancake hill.