• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Possible Good News after this season.

dlague

Not sure if he mentioned every state or province enough! I was getting nervous though until the end when he finally mentioned Colorado. A Heft commercial maybe - required to say storms everywhere.

jack97

I'm convinced. Its time to pull the trigger on the fatties. Maybe some Avi gear as well.

Los

the chances of la nina developing are diminishing: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-weather-elnino-idUSKCN10M1ES But from my expert internet gleaning, the worst outlook for the northeast remains average temperatures and precipitation. If that's the worst case scenario, it will still make 2016-2017 eons better for new englanders than last season... (recognizing of course that the end is nigh thanks to global warming, i.e. there aren't many good seasons left, but let's enjoy them while we can)

more, for what it's worth (hat tip epic ski): http://firsthandweather.com/2105/early-2016-17-winter-forecast/

jack97

... (recognizing of course that the end is nigh thanks to global warming, i.e. there aren't many good seasons left, but let's enjoy them while we can)

56842d737e76c.image.jpg

Jully

the chances of la nina developing are diminishing: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-weather-elnino-idUSKCN10M1ES But from my expert internet gleaning, the worst outlook for the northeast remains average temperatures and precipitation. If that's the worst case scenario, it will still make 2016-2017 eons better for new englanders than last season... (recognizing of course that the end is nigh thanks to global warming, i.e. there aren't many good seasons left, but let's enjoy them while we can)

more, for what it's worth (hat tip epic ski): http://firsthandweather.com/2105/early-2016-17-winter-forecast/

When they refer to the western part of the zone as receiving above average snowfall, are they only talking about Western NY and Western PA or would Vermont or even NH fall into place there too?

jack97

Hope we passed this year's hump as well. Below is the monthly average for Boston, based on the chart, the gradual cooling starts along with the increase in precipitation.

bostonave21.png

Los

Looking like a very cool end of August. Nice change of pace. Hopefully the trend continues...

Well, that hasn't come to pass... Except for this past Monday, it's been consistently hot and looks like it will remain so for at least the next couple of weeks...

Jully

Well, that hasn't come to pass... Except for this past Monday, it's been consistently hot and looks like it will remain so for at least the next couple of weeks...

It has been absolutely dreadful. Hard to believe that it's almost September with so many days still near and over 90!

MEtoVTSkier

Almost Labor Day, and my leaves aren't even starting to change yet. Usually by mid August the maples and some of the birch are starting to change, just a couple leaves off the white birch down so far, but with all the heat and rain this year, looks as if the trees are 2-3 weeks behind the calendar so far.

dlague

Almost Labor Day, and my leaves aren't even starting to change yet. Usually by mid August the maples and some of the birch are starting to change, just a couple leaves off the white birch down so far, but with all the heat and rain this year, looks as if the trees are 2-3 weeks behind the calendar so far.

Hopefully that is not a winter trend!

Los

Yeah, we were in NYC this weekend and I was looking forward to spotting leave changes on the way down and back up... I quickly realized I needed to think of something else to occupy my time...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yeah, we were in NYC this weekend and I was looking forward to spotting leave changes on the way down and back up... I quickly realized I needed to think of something else to occupy my time...

I've noticed the same thing here. Any color I've seen is associated with a dry or dying branch. No whole trees are changing yet.

A video shared earlier in this thread did say we'd see above normal temps well into December due to warm water off the eastern coast but that temps would at some point flip to more normal levels and then the warm water would fuel storms coming up the coast. I'm really interested to see if this comes true.

In the mean time it's nice to see snow falling in the Rockies.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone