• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you into at the moment?

〽❄❅

I have got some old vintage tube stereo equipment. Still sounds rich and full and quite precise despite being older than I am. I could probably use some maintenance perhaps some new matched tubeset etc.

Anyway, I used to subscribe to The Absolute Sound. I have a few years worth of old ones somewhere down in the basement. Now, I listen to mp3's on my BB. I'm all for nostalgia and appreciate longevity....But do you still ski on skinny skis?
...no because they cause me weeks of knee pain after use. Modern shaped skis only bother my hips which recover in a day or two. I wouldn't be skiing if we were still on straight ski technology.
Anywho, screw nostalgia, "new" tube amps have gotten better while retaining virtues of antique gear. Although some of the old gear is still good too, depends on what you like, i personally prefer the low watt single ended triode amps.
But hey if sound quality matters and you're gonna do digital, there are better options available: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=staticpage&pagename=faq

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
i actually sold all my 330 CD's I accumulated over the years. I converted everything to 256mbps MP3 and it sounds fine ... i would never know the difference.

If you are really an audio nut you can just convert them to FLAC or some other lossless formula.

Anyway. Sold all my 330 CD's for $500 after I finished converting them.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Also, my wife and I had a band at our wedding, and i have to say that was the best thing we could have done. So much better than a DJ. Live music = awesome

jaja111

This is a funny thread to have noticed in the new posts, but as I am reading it and reminiscing about my distaste for mp3's, I am burning just about every Neil Young recording ever published along with Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, and a ton more. All 200 CD's have just been sitting in a box taken from my dead uncle's apartment 5 years ago. I don't want to move with them, so I guess the audio quality is now lost forever.

In theme of the thread title:
The Asteroid Galaxy Tour (guilty pleasure)
Parachute Youth
Steely Dan's Citizen Steely Dan's collection

never realized that I really like Steely Dan. Odd.

Edd

In theme of the thread title:
The Asteroid Galaxy Tour (guilty pleasure)
Parachute Youth
Steely Dan's Citizen Steely Dan's collection

never realized that I really like Steely Dan. Odd.

I dig Asteroid Galaxy Tour. "Hero" is a cool song. It seems like everyone at least goes through a Steely Dan phase.

jaja111

I'm gonna guess that I will soon find out that I might be the only person to not have known who this is, but after discovering him 1 hour ago, I can say Tommy Guerrero has blown my mind. So... damn... good, so... damn... smooth. This is the fine scotch of chill music.

BackLoafRiver

These guys blew my mind. Getting past the fact that I loathe Adele with the white hot intensity of 1,000 burning suns, this remake is freaking insane. Sweedish "power trio"

And, just because they aren't bada$$ enough:

The singer sounds like a white Stevie Wonder. So good. Unfortunately, some of their stuff is pretty miss.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My wife recently started getting into country which is driving me bonkers. I just can't stand it.

I'm with Alex... summertime for me is Marley & Buffett with some Stones mixed in.

Edd

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros have a new album called Here. It is awesome.

skiahman

And another M83, Reunion

Closely followed by the Maccabbees, Went Away.

Any 101.7 WFNX listeners in AZ land? If so, how are you going to handle the demise of the one and only decent radio station in the Boston market come July 21st?

zakyr

And another M83, Reunion

Closely followed by the Maccabbees, Went Away.

Any 101.7 WFNX listeners in AZ land? If so, how are you going to handle the demise of the one and only decent radio station in the Boston market come July 21st?

with the departure of 101.7....ill no longer listen to the radio. Except for 92.9 every once in a while.