• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2.3.09

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 2.3.09

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown

Conditions: fresh couple of inches, PP, bumps

Trip Report: Got on the snow just before 7. Skied Temptor/lower Exhibition for about 2 hours. Conditions were pretty good. Sundown didn't get as much snow as i had hoped but the few inches they did get put a nice soft coating on the bumps.

I was surprised to see both kickers still in place. i think they cut them down a bit since the comp but haven't gotten rid of them.

Weather on the hill was great. not too cold and no wind.

gmcunni

almost forgot, there was a HUGE snow making whale at the beginning of temptor flats. it had to be 6 feet tall. the backside was almost straight down. anyone launching off that would kill themselves.

Greg

Staff member
Got in almost 90 minutes after work. Eventually met up with mondeo, powhunter and MR. evil. Bumps were scratchy in the troughs, but nice and powdery on the crests. Ended up being a very satisfying session. Tim and I actually hiked back up Temptor to grab one final run before the sweep. Chatted with Chris Sullivan at the end of the night. Gunny gets seeded sometime after 2/22. Perhaps even that night! Probably down to mid station for the first seeding session.

Greg

Staff member
Steve-o with the quote of the night:

"Sundown should blow the snow making budget all on Gunbarrel to make a mini-glacier. It would be like the Outer Limits of Connecticut. We could hold the Bump or Bust 3 on the fourth of July!"

:lol:

gmcunni

Don't know about July but i'm totally psyched for GB to get bumps this month. Temptor is a lot of fun but now that I'm getting more comfortable in the bumps I'd like to try a "longer" stretch of them.

Thinking of heading up for Sunday afternoon when it warms up. Can't wait to try GB next month.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a pretty good night, sorry I missed it. As it turns out my parental duties weren't needed last night so I could have gone, but I ended up catching the stomach bug that my son had on Monday.. :(

powhunter

good skiing last night...the couple inches we got really made the bumps pretty good...hope to get back out thyis weekend

steveo

Greg

Staff member
Thinking of heading up for Sunday afternoon when it warms up. Can't wait to try GB next month.

Glad to hear you guys are interested in coming back out. Seems like some people like to rib on Sundown cuz it's small, but if the uber ski family from Hunter likes it, it can't be that bad, huh? ;) My weekend is jammed so I probably won't get out, but enjoy it! Gunny is really going to be something. I stand by my prediction that it will become the most challenging run in SNE, by far.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Seems like some people like to rib on Sundown cuz it's small, but if the uber ski family from Hunter likes it, it can't be that bad, huh?

I don't get this. Its located in CT so yes its small but it is run like a big Mt. The Mt is what it is but its how the place is run that makes it. Huge amount of snowmaking and bumps for most of the year with 2 comps. They listen to the people that ski there and take what they say into account when making changes..Are you kidding me!!! If only every mt was run that way.

Glad to hear you guys are interested in coming back out. Seems like some people like to rib on Sundown cuz it's small, but if the uber ski family from Hunter likes it, it can't be that bad, huh? ;) My weekend is jammed so I probably won't get out, but enjoy it! Gunny is really going to be something. I stand by my prediction that it will become the most challenging run in SNE, by far.

What makes it attractive are the Bumps and night skiing, so we can still make a day out of it because it is over an hour from the house.

Madroch

Was out from 7:00 to 9:30 with some frineds... Temptor was niiiice, if a bit scratchy toward the end. Believe Mondeo ripped by me on Temptor as I was gathering my gear after a double ejection upon landing from the left hand kicker (the bamboo pole blocking it had mysteriously been partially removed)....For some reason I was in the backseat (or on my backseat) a lot last night, but still was fun.