• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/25/2009

Grassi21

First off, Brian, sorry I missed you. I got your call when I turned on 219. I had to get home for some family stuff.

Clicked in around 5:15. First night on the Gotamas so I mixed up my runs a bunch. Started on Canyon. I was a bit nervous about trying a fatter and longer ski. After a few turns I was pretty pumped about my purchase. For a ski that is 105 underfoot it did well on the groomers today. No scratchy parts that I could detect except on Gunny where they race. Hit the Ex bumps a bunch of times and the Goats did surprising well. I hit the Gunny bumps once. I was amazed at how many more bumps there are compared to Sunday. Impressive. I did score 2nd tracks on a freshy groomed Gunny. I was hauling ass. When those beasts get on edge they pull you through the turn. Very stable at speed.

Sundown was skiing well tonight. Crowds were light for a school night. Can't wait to get back on Friday.

gmcunni

First off, Brian, sorry I missed you. I got your call when I turned on 219. I had to get home for some family stuff.

Clicked in around 5:15. First night on the Gotamas so I mixed up my runs a bunch. Started on Canyon. I was a bit nervous about trying a fatter and longer ski. After a few turns I was pretty pumped about my purchase. For a ski that is 105 underfoot it did well on the groomers today. No scratchy parts that I could detect except on Gunny where they race. Hit the Ex bumps a bunch of times and the Goats did surprising well. I hit the Gunny bumps once. I was amazed at how many more bumps there are compared to Sunday. Impressive. I did score 2nd tracks on a freshy groomed Gunny. I was hauling ass. When those beasts get on edge they pull you through the turn. Very stable at speed.

Sundown was skiing well tonight. Crowds were light for a school night. Can't wait to get back on Friday.

glad to hear the report on the Gotamas, congrats on the new boards.

mondeo

Did a couple runs on the Wateas today. Did fine on hardpack, sluggish side to side compared to the Twisters, but that's to be expected. Put them into touring mode for the trek from the bottom of Gunny to the ski racks. Kinda a weird feeling, no resistance pivoting the boot. Switched to the Twisters for the rest of the night.

Can't wait for a powder day.

bvibert

Staff member
The bumps come down to where the lower race start shack is.

I had a bit of a late start and got on the lift just a bit before 7. I skied Gunny all night, except for a run down Temptor and a run down Stinger with Mondeo. I use the term 'skied' loosely here as I performed a lot of maintenance side slipping and cookie busting up. There's a section that they must have seeded on Sunday or Monday night that was pretty firm and very workable at all. There was no detectable tracks through this section, save for some traverses out of it. It's really chopped up from the seeding process and needs some sunlight and skiers while it's soft. Below that there was a new section of maybe 6 rows of bumps that I guess were done Tuesday night. They were pretty rough as well, but still very workable and softish. There's some semblance of a line the whole way down the left side, that was filled in nicely with loose granular from the groomed section of Gunny.

Aside from the funk in the bumps the mountain was skiing nice. I was actually enjoying carving up some turns on lower gunny after getting out of the bumps.

Greg

Staff member
The bumps come down to where the lower race start shack is.

I had a bit of a late start and got on the lift just a bit before 7. I skied Gunny all night, except for a run down Temptor and a run down Stinger with Mondeo. I use the term 'skied' loosely here as I performed a lot of maintenance side slipping and cookie busting up. There's a section that they must have seeded on Sunday or Monday night that was pretty firm and very workable at all. There was no detectable tracks through this section, save for some traverses out of it. It's really chopped up from the seeding process and needs some sunlight and skiers while it's soft. Below that there was a new section of maybe 6 rows of bumps that I guess were done Tuesday night. They were pretty rough as well, but still very workable and softish. There's some semblance of a line the whole way down the left side, that was filled in nicely with loose granular from the groomed section of Gunny.

Aside from the funk in the bumps the mountain was skiing nice. I was actually enjoying carving up some turns on lower gunny after getting out of the bumps.

Cool. Sounds good. Probably more progress last night and some tonight, and maybe we'll be approaching midstation for tomorrow. Should be soft by late morning so I'll try to work them in.

bvibert

Staff member
I forgot to mention that the Ex bumps were pretty shiny and not especially fun when I tried them one time last night.

Grassi21

I forgot to mention that the Ex bumps were pretty shiny and not especially fun when I tried them one time last night.

Really? I went through there a number of times on the goats and thought they skied pretty well. There was def some shiny spots but nothing too treacherous.

bvibert

Staff member
Really? I went through there a number of times on the goats and thought they skied pretty well. There was def some shiny spots but nothing too treacherous.

Maybe they firmed up after you left, or maybe I just didn't give them enough of a chance. They looked rather shiny from the lift. I cut over to them from Temptor and made a few turns on a rather firm surface before bailing out.

Grassi21

Maybe they firmed up after you left, or maybe I just didn't give them enough of a chance. They looked rather shiny from the lift. I cut over to them from Temptor and made a few turns on a rather firm surface before bailing out.

They weren't glorious by any stretch. But it seemed like there was loose snow on the bumps despite the handful of hard pack/shiny troughs.