• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Nassahegan, Burlington, CT - 6/24 and 6/26

bvibert

Staff member
I think I will use the regular pedals tonight since my UPS dude usually doesn't come till 4:30-5. I certainly don't want my first click in to be in the parking lot since I have never used them in my life.

I will probably wait until tomorrow to put them on and try them out around the yard to get a feel for them for Thursdays ride.

You better come Thursday night Brian cause I think Greg will only drag me out behind his bike if I get hurt:razz:

Probably a good call on the pedals. This probably isn't the ride to be breaking yourself in on... ;)

I have to go get a tux fitted in Southington this week and Thursday is the only day they're open late. We'll see. I might be able to go to the tux place right after work and still make it to Lamson's by 6:15-6:30...

bvibert

Staff member
Gonna be wet...it's raining right now.

inmaSIRCT_.gif

Thanks. I'm hoping that cell moves through quickly and we don't see much else for the rest of the day...

Greg

Staff member
Gonna be wet...it's raining right now.

inmaSIRCT_.gif

Balls! The only saving grace is this rain is ahead of much drier air. Much lower humidity and a little breeze and things could totally dry out in a couple hours.

bvibert

Staff member
Looking at a different map it looks like that cell is just about through Burlington. I don't think they got much rain out of it. We didn't get more than a sprinkle here in Watertown.

Greg

Staff member
I printed this off from Crankfire for tonight's ride:

nass1.png

bvibert

Staff member

nass1.png

Nice! The new mapper he's been working on is pretty sweet. Though the track overlayed on the old topo might be useful as well since it shows the blue trail (which this track crosses a bit on the northern end) on it. It also shows some dirt 'roads' that aren't on the one you printed.

Crankfire

Website
www.crankfire.com

nass1.png

Ahhh, nice. I kinda thought that's would be the loop I would bring you on, but I am more than fine with doing the sessions stuff.... Not sure if this is going to be any help, but I will "walk you through" the aforementioned ride.

1) Start at Lamsons Corner, cross route 69 and stay left hugging the cemetery wall, you should see some singletrack heading left into the woods. Follow it.

2) Ride that for a while until it dumps you/ends on a loose rock doubletrack.

3) Take a left down this doubletrack about 25 yards where you will come to a 4 way doubletrack intersection. Take a left and pedal. It's gonna be wet. Follow this for a bit until you see the trail sort of bear to the right up a hill (if you went straight here it will put you onto Cornwall Road).

4) Climb until it ends on a "T" - then take a right, heading UP. Climb climb... oh it's horrible... climb climb... it will eventually flatten out some, continues on, then put you out on an access road right after a quick little technical rock face climb.

5) Almost straight across this access road (maybe a little to the left) you should see some more singletrack, go in there and follow that until you come to another "T" that you will hit after riding a rocky fun downhill.

6) At this "T", take a left and follow this out until you hit pavement (Cornwall Road).

7) Directly across the street the trail will continue. Follow it, it's going to turn into a one heckuva downhill :) Enjoy it, its your reward for the previously mentioned climbing.

8) This trail is going to bring you out to Route 69 (Burlington Ave), where you will then cross, ride some rocky goodness, cross a stream and pop over a rock wall of sorts. You are going to want to stay to the left - there is a trail heading up right before this rock wall (I think). Don't go up there. You want to stay paralleling route 69 here.

9) Now just follow this trail, it's gonna twist around for a bit, cross a few streams, and eventually bring you right back to your cars!

It's a good ride. You should be fine with the rain today too, most of this ride stays pretty dry.... Good luck!

Edit: Try this and find the "ketchup and cheetos" gps track (dead center) and click on it and load its polyline. Might give you some pics and waypoints and such?

Greg

Staff member
That sounds like a fun ride

Indeed. We'll let you know!

Thanks for the written instructions, sound like we are going to need them.

Yes, Nate. Thanks so much for that. I printed them too. I certainly wouldn't mind doing a repeat on Thursday or if I can get out again on Sunday. It would help solidify at least one route in this pathetic brain of mine.

Greg

Staff member
A little pop-up storm in the area right now, but I think we'll be okay. Leaving in 10 mins or so.

Greg

Staff member
[thread="30340"]Tue night TR here.[/thread]

Greg

Staff member
So...tomorrow. Same loop? Hopefully with the west side included?

Crankfire

Website
www.crankfire.com
So...tomorrow. Same loop? Hopefully with the west side included?
I am in for tomorrow.

So see you guys at Lamsons Corner 6:15-6:30? Just look for a dopey looking guy in a green honda element (or a black diesel jetta) and a green bike. A buddy of mine might join in as well if he can make it.

Hopefully the weather holds.