• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/27/09

Greg

Staff member
Today was to be a human grooming session with Grassi21. Got to the lot and ready to head ot the lodge when I noticed this Asian family with a young cute as hell little boy. Mom had bright colored Full Tilts, K2 Mambas and mogul pants. Nice! :)

Took a few runs and eventualy met up with Grassi21 after a few runs. Snow in the bumps was a little firm, but very edgeable. The upper 1/3 of the moguls are nice, the 2nd 3rd are a little funky in the steeper section still. It then got really funky with small shark fin bumps. The last 1/4 of the run seemed to be newly seeded last night and while chunky piles, they were very soft.

Chris and I just kept hammering the top and them slowly section the bottom half, breaking up chunks as we came across them. At times, it felt like our effort were in futility, but by the end of the day, when the snow got really soft, we discovered we really made a difference. By the end of the day, the whole field was skiable. Not rippable at the bottom but still skiable. The top 1/3 has beautiful zig-zags setting up. A few times when the sun broke out and the whole field lit up before us, it was like a work of art. The bumps are seeded uber tight, but if the top 1/3 is any indication, the run will ski in with rad zippers all over. Right now, the seeding is almost down to midstation. One or two more nights will get us to the last little drop off. About 60% of the trail's width is currently moguls. If the snow forecasted for Sunday happens, those bumps are going to set up beautifully.

Chris and I toasted the day over a beer outside. I think it was Bart the ripper who showed up and his wife. There was another chick up on Gunny killing it too. I truly believe the mighty Sundown is going to become the mogul mecca for SNE and the tri-state area. We're in for a good next few weeks. Nice skiing with ya Chris. You were manhandling those Gotamas in the bumps just fine. Cool set-up you got there!

2knees

tell me you at least took a couple of pics for us.........

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You know, I half-considered driving up to Sundown today to screw around with my DSLR and take some pics, knowing that Greg and Grassi were there (using the zoom, of course). But then I got lazy and decided to stay home. So Greg, you better have some sort of media!

Greg

Staff member
No media. :razz: Get up there!

2knees

tomorrow, tomorrow, i love you tomorrow, you're always a day away.......

cant wait. just prayin it doesnt get too cold tonight. could make for a crapfest.

Grassi21

my legs are cooked and so are my brain cells. great way to kick off the weekend. had fan searching and destroying unruly bumps and cookies. once it warmed up it was like spreading butter with a 210mm knife. fun. the only issue today was greg overdoing it with the cheap cologne. :lol: blueberries!!!!!

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
my legs are cooked and so are my brain cells. great way to kick off the weekend. had fan searching and destroying unruly bumps and cookies. once it warmed up it was like spreading butter with a 210mm knife. fun. the only issue today was greg overdoing it with the cheap colon. :lol: blueberries!!!!!
I assume you mean "cologne"? ;)

Not getting up there tonight... I'll be there tomorrow. If I can rig a neck strap for the DSLR, I'll bring it. I keep forgetting to order one.

Grassi21

Not getting up there tonight... I'll be there tomorrow. If I can rig a neck strap for the DSLR, I'll bring it. I keep forgetting to order one.

ooops. fixed it. :lol:

bvibert

Staff member

I was a little concerned that Grassi was that close to Greg's colon to know it's quality. :lol:

Glad you guys were able to get out and work those things in while they were somewhat soft.

SKidds

tomorrow, tomorrow, i love you tomorrow, you're always a day away.......

cant wait. just prayin it doesnt get too cold tonight. could make for a crapfest.
I suspect things might be a bit firm before noon.....but things should soften nicely after that. I'll be there with my brother and all the kids tomorrow. Should roll in around 10 am. I'll probably put my little guy in a 12:30 lesson, which should free me up for some bump time......

2knees

depends on how cold it gets. with this rain, if it stays above freezing, should be good from the get go. otherwise, the sun will have to work some magic. i'll be there around 11 or so. grey jacket with orange stripes, blue and white skis.

and i'll probably be the only person on the mountain wearing some retro adidas windpants. :lol: