• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak area recommendations for June hiking?

mrzilliox

howdy folks, haven't been here in a while (both this forum & the mountains of new england)

my buddy & I are dusting off the hiking boots for a couple day trips around Jay Peak for June 18-19-20

We'll be up there for the Widespread Panic show on June 19, but in between guitar solos & IPA sampling, we want to get up on some hills while we are there.

Had originally planned to do part of the Monroe Skyline, but the timing doesn't work out so we're putting that off until later in the year.

Current plan is to drive up from Mass on Thurs 6/18 AM, camp near Jay Pass, and do the stretch from Jay Pass to North Jay pass (Jay>Doll Peak>Burnt Mtn) as a one way and get a ride back from a late arriving buddy.

How's the stretch south of Jay Pass? Looking for something with very high vista to effort ratios.

Thanks folks!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can't speak personally about Jay proper, but I'd highly recommend driving down to the Willoughby area where there are lots of great day hikes.

Some classics I highly recommend include:

Wheeler Mountain
Pisgah
Bald Mountain
Haystack
Mt Hor (really short)

South of Jay is Mount Norris and that has incredible views.

Feel free to PM me. I grew up in the NEK.

dlague

I can't speak personally about Jay proper, but I'd highly recommend driving down to the Willoughby area where there are lots of great day hikes.

Some classics I highly recommend include:

Wheeler Mountain
Pisgah
Bald Mountain
Haystack
Mt Hor (really short)

South of Jay is Mount Norris and that has incredible views.

Feel free to PM me. I grew up in the NEK.

Those are all nice hikes. My high school senior field day was hiking mount pisgah. A little freaky for me looking over the cliff there.

kingdom-tele

howdy folks, haven't been here in a while (both this forum & the mountains of new england)

my buddy & I are dusting off the hiking boots for a couple day trips around Jay Peak for June 18-19-20

We'll be up there for the Widespread Panic show on June 19, but in between guitar solos & IPA sampling, we want to get up on some hills while we are there.

Had originally planned to do part of the Monroe Skyline, but the timing doesn't work out so we're putting that off until later in the year.

Current plan is to drive up from Mass on Thurs 6/18 AM, camp near Jay Pass, and do the stretch from Jay Pass to North Jay pass (Jay>Doll Peak>Burnt Mtn) as a one way and get a ride back from a late arriving buddy.

How's the stretch south of Jay Pass? Looking for something with very high vista to effort ratios.

Thanks folks!

Skip the LT southbound from 242 if you want vistas. A nice view out of the woods on S. Gilpin, but you can do that in a 20min hike, worth the walk, but the rest to 58 is just good woods walking. If you want a vista, jump down to the LT crossing on 58, southbound to Haystack, one of the best coffee spots int he world there.

WoodCore

See you at the show!

WoodCore

Noticed that the show just sold out! UM and Widespread outdoors at Jay Peak with 3500 friends is going to be killer!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Noticed that the show just sold out! UM and Widespread outdoors at Jay Peak with 3500 friends is going to be killer!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Was surprised how quickly it sold out but there are still tickets for those who make reservations there.