• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nassahegan RAW, Burlington, CT - 7/15/08

Greg

Staff member
Met up withe Brian and Jeff for another Nass RAW ride. Got started at 6:30-ish. Hit the Scoville twisites and then down into Session Woods. We stayed right to take the loop around Beaver Pond. Getting down into there was great. A few ledges we skipped, but mostly fun singletrack. The boggy area was kinda lame and then the real hike-a-biking started. Once we got through that area on the south ridge, it was a fun downhill to the Session gravel loop. We then parallel 69 back to Lamson corner.

A really great ride and one that was a bit longer than we are used to, especially as a RAW. Got out with the last of the reasonable daylight. I really liked this ride, except for the rock scrambles. If we can find the bypass around that, we'll be looking at a really great ride. About 7.3 miles and it took us about 2:15 to do it. Not bad considering the walking/climbing! :blink: We're getting faster!

Crankfire data display and topo.

bvibert

Staff member
A great ride, I felt pretty good through most of it. I could have done without having to get off my bike quite so much, and the flat tire though. ;) I'd do it again, but I'd want more time to enjoy the ending part without having to rush out due to failing day light (or get a headlight for my bike). My legs are pretty much toasted right now, and it feels great! :D

o3jeff

Good ride except for the climb down the rock cliffs. Definitely have to find the bypass for that section

That GPS gives quite a bit of info. 3.4 climbing miles:-o

Greg

Staff member
I had one of those nights when the head hits the pillow and what feels like a second later, it's morning. But I feel like a zombie today.

Greg

Staff member
I posted this in the GPS thread too, but here's our tracked overlayed in Google Earth (looking south):

nass-715.png

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Impressive!!!!!

Sounds like an interesting ride. From what Brian was explaining about the hike-a-bike parts, a little hairy in some places. But not bad overall for you guys. It's cool that you get to go out and explore that area so much.

Greg

Staff member
Impressive!!!!!

Sounds like an interesting ride. From what Brian was explaining about the hike-a-bike parts, a little hairy in some places. But not bad overall for you guys.

The hike-a-bike area is actually very pretty. Fun scrambles that would be enjoyable with hiking boots, but not so much trying to carry a bike.

It's cool that you get to go out and explore that area so much.

A special thanks to understanding wives.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What the heck does RAW mean? Every time I see it posted, I'm thinking its like World Wrestling Federation lingo :???: Is it bike speak for a hard core throw down? :lol:

..it probably is, I mean with both wrestling and mountain biking were talking about grown men doing an activity in tights :lol:

Greg

Staff member
What the heck does RAW mean? Every time I see it posted, I'm thinking its like World Wrestling Federation lingo :???: Is it bike speak for a hard core throw down? :lol:

..it probably is, I mean with both wrestling and mountain biking were talking about grown men doing an activity in tights :lol:

RAW = Ride After Work. Not that exciting or cool, I know.

No tights for this MTBer either.

bvibert

Staff member
You guys need to start taking more pictures if you want to get us Easties out there for a ride. You know, psyche us up.

That's a good idea, I keep forgetting my camera. We're usually having so much fun that we don't stop unless there's a problem or we're about to pass out though.

o3jeff

Come to think of it, I don't think we ever took any pics/videos of the place out of all the rides we've done there. I think the only pics are of Brian's scraped up leg.

I will also try to remember my camera so we can try to capture some pics of Greg at his lightning speed he goes through there at.

o3jeff

There are picture, but being a family forum we cannot post them here.

btw Brian, you need to teach us how you fold the bills into the little animals, seems the girl love it and flock over to you;-)

bvibert

Staff member
btw Brian, you need to teach us how you fold the bills into the little animals, seems the girl love it and flock over to you;-)

So that they'd start flocking to you instead? I think not... errr... I mean... I have no idea what you're talking about.